Artists doing a "Johnny Cash"

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, May 23, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

And with that I don't mean that they perform the man in Black's music.

No, to do a "Johnny Cash" is to make an epic epitaph of a song, very much like Cash did with "Hurt"

First up, here's Dutch singer Ramses Shaffy, who in the late seventies scored a massive hit with a translation of the French Chanson "Vivre" (Living) re-titled "Laat me" (Let me), the original 1978 version of that song, very much like the original French version is very overblown production-wise.

But in 2005, Shaffy guested on a cover of the song which combined the original French lyrics with the Dutch ones, the production of the song was stripped back to the bare minimum, which made the power of the lyrics shine through even harder. Shaffy wasn't in the best of health, the recording turned out to be his very last. But boy, even if you don't understand what he is singing, it's impossible not to get goosebumps with how he delivers it.

2. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

David Bowie, "Lazarus," one of music's great goodbyes.

Ranchand23 and blowtorch like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

ponce and King Creole like this.
  4. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Ray Charles' very last live performance was pretty epic. He played "a song for you" with Leon Russel and Willy Nelson at the latter's 70'th birthday party.

But his true "Johnny Cash" moment came in 2004 when he recorded his final song, a cover of Elton John's "Sorry seems to be the hardest word" with the author of the song.

Elton said that he was shocked at just how "In there" Ray Charles was, nothing escaped his attention, this frail old man had his finger on the pulse the whole way through.

After the session was done, Ray Charles said that he "wasn't feeling very good." he walked out of the studio never to return.

RodeoTex and King Creole like this.
  5. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

dlew919 likes this.
  6. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

The last song on Warren Zevon's last album.

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Cash - Oz band, The Panics... from 2004...

I was just listening to an old fav and came across a related vid. The songwriter talking about the inspiration for the song. I never knew the song had a Johnny Cash connection....

with a title Cash, I thought money or the lack there of might have been the underlying theme.. though the lyrics didn't seem to reflect that...

I know one guy plays a Tele in the band..I think I can hear it...:twisted::cool:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  8. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We have our own local tribute band. Actually, better than that IMO, but good enough for David Letterman.

10. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I like this interpretation of U2's One. I think in regards of doing other peoples songs John was a lot like Linda Ronstadt. He could own it. And it really had to improve on John or make it yours.

11. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Elvis Presley was someone else who could "own" a song even if it was someone else's ("Bridge Over Troubled Water", for instance, from August, 1970).

And even though Elvis had been singing "My Way" in concert (off-and-on) since '72, it's the last televised performance from October 3, 1977 (IMO) that really tugs at your heart (even though I prefer the more polished Aloha 1973 version of the song):

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.