Arm contour - exposed chambered interior (OOPS!)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tkmclaughlin, Feb 10, 2019.

1. tkmclaughlin

tkmclaughlin TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 9, 2013
    Armonk, NY
    8A8BE310-D2CA-41D8-841B-2A834188B0FA.jpeg Hi all. I was hoping I might get some advice on how to fix a screw up. I have a guitar body that was heavy, so I drilled out some of the wood in the body with a Forstener bit before gluing on the drop top to relieve some weight. Unfortunately I didn’t plan ahead because when I went to shape the arm contour on the top, I managed to go too far and I exposed the hollow inside of the guitar. (The attached picture shows what I mean).

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how I might go about repairing it. I guess it would involve gluing in a plug of some kind and then reshaping the arm contour. But I’m. It sure how to go about it. I think it’s too big of a gap to fill with the saw dust and wood glue method.

Thoughts??

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'd probably clean it out and whittle and sand a dark wood plug to slide into the space. Try and orient the plug with the grain going in the same direction and use the original scrap for the plug. The adjacent cut- off from that end ( if it exists) should match pretty well because it was its neighbor. It won't be totally hidden, but it'll look good. It'll be way better than sawdust and glue in my opinion which will turn out darker. Make sure to glue it in.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    tkmclaughlin likes this.
  3. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

In my mind you can either make it look like a repaired accident or an intentional accent. You might consider doing what Taylor and others do on acoustics with a forearm cut and put either a matching or contrasting veneer over it.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

CraigB and tkmclaughlin like this.
  4. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I agree with adding a cutout of the darker wood...or there is always bondo and and solid color

tkmclaughlin likes this.
  5. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

This might five you more of what I was talking about from Bamburg guitars.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

tkmclaughlin likes this.
  6. tkmclaughlin

tkmclaughlin TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 9, 2013
    Armonk, NY
    Thanks very much for sharing the video. I admit until I saw the video I didn’t fully understand. But it’s a very good idea.

eallen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.