Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Argument/Poll: Classic 30 lead channel :-O

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by CapriOrange, Dec 3, 2018.

Lead channel of a Peavey Classic 30?

1. Sounds great man!

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. No way dude :-O

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Meister

Feb 29, 2016
    EU
    I had a Delta Blues for years, but that was before the internet so I didn't know whether it sounded good or bad. :D

D'tar, stevemc, bluesky1963 and 3 others like this.
  2. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    You don't mention how much gain you are after?

IMO... the classic series is NOT a high gain amp so when you try to push the gain too much I'd agree with you. BUT - when used with lower gain settings, I find it quite nice so that his how I voted.

Clarkj734 likes this.
  3. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Colorado, USA
    I've never owned one, but I'm a bit surprised that despite reading many many reviews I've never seen anyone else mention this before. Also I'm not surprised because I've owned a couple other Peavey amps and have never liked the dirt channel in any of them.

CapriOrange likes this.
  4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I have owned at least one since the early 90's
    and I have two atm
    Never use the clean channel

5. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    Approx 20 years back, had a DB with a 15 inch speaker also used pedals instead of that thin-sounding OD channel. Industrial dentist drill sound to me.

Wally mentioned changing V1 - going back into those years most of us didn't have the knowledge regarding tube substitutions and there was no place to get the knowledge. Players today are lucky to have free consultation and all this detail.

Delta Blues also had a garbage sound at low volume on the clean channel - unlike my old twin which is great at all volume levels.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    CapriOrange likes this.
  6. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I used to hate it, but it's grown on me. I treat the clean channel and drive channel as two different amps. I reset a lot of the EQ if I switch between the two.

Bartholomew3 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.