Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Argument/Poll: Classic 30 lead channel :-O

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by CapriOrange, Dec 3, 2018.

Lead channel of a Peavey Classic 30?

1. Sounds great man!

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. No way dude :-O

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. CapriOrange

CapriOrange TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Europe
    Hi Guys

Help me settle an internet argument :D

I've played a Peavey Classic 30 for ten years and loved that amp .. Reliable and good sounding. I liked the glassy cleans a lot.

But .. In my humble opinion the lead channel sounds like puke .. I never managed to like it and would never touch it. Just keep in on the clean channel and if need be put pedals in front it.

Done!

So who is with me on this one? .. cast your vote! :)

Edit: Please remember to vote .. more people agree with me in the comments that in the poll (hehe)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Straydogger, Shuster and ponce like this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 31, 2018
    South Texas
  3. Bella_Caster

Bella_Caster TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Portland, OR
    The lead channel has always frustrated me. But to be fair, I have not tried different tubes or a speaker swap. One thing I keep neglecting to do is disconnect the blue marvel and just use the vintage 30 in my newish orange 1x12, to see if its more to my liking. In fact I think I'll try that tonight. Curious to see if it gives me a bit more clean headroom, too.

4. CapriOrange

CapriOrange TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Europe
    I like you! :D

5. CapriOrange

CapriOrange TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Europe
    Cool .. I'd love to hear a report .. could be just the speaker being meh :)

6. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I had great results with the lead channel on the classic 30 I had. Of course, I used mine for a light bit of grit overdrive and a few choice pedals for my main drive tones. Too bad there is an argument about this. To each his/her own. What works for me may not work for you.

savofenno likes this.
  7. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Mine had upgraded tubes and speaker when I got it, so never tried one stock form.

savofenno likes this.
  8. CapriOrange

CapriOrange TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Europe
    That is the thing .. you had too add pedals .. isn't that what you're saying? ;) :)

Edit: Oh and then you added this .. I don't know how much the speaker does, but could be cool if Bella_caster above adds a review of the classic 30 with a vintage 30 speaker compared to the stock speaker.

9. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Totally agree -- clean channel is fine, but to my old ears the drive channel with any meaningful amount of gain just sounds like the thing is broken. However, there are plenty of other amps out there with similar issues -- my Fender Blues Deluxe for a start. I keep the drive channel gain knob as low as possible and turn up the volume, turning the channel into (more or less) a cleanish boost. For a proper drive tone I use a pedal.

Shuster and CapriOrange like this.
  10. CapriOrange

CapriOrange TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Europe
    Remember to vote :)

11. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    It's quite a job because of the 'folded' circuit board, but changing all the caps for Orange Drops makes a big difference.

CapriOrange likes this.
  12. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    For me the lead channel just goes full tilt too quick. If it’s set up with louder post gain than pre it can sound pretty good.

That channel can become a squishy distortion mess if you go too far. Which is nice if you want no dynamics at all, I guess.

Of course slightly gritty isn’t everyone’s lead tone. But for different colors of sparkle and grit it’s pretty good.

antelopebob likes this.
  13. Bella_Caster

Dec 1, 2018
    Portland, OR
    For what it's worth, there's a direct speaker swap comparison by some guy on YouTube

14. Bella_Caster

Dec 1, 2018
    Portland, OR
    ^This.

15. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Depends what you are trying to make it do. Its not a high gain / hard rock amp.

When I had mine, I liked the lead channel with the gain set below 12 oclock. Usually more like 9-10, which was more like a fat "clean'ish" tone.

savofenno likes this.
  16. Mexi-Tele Blues

Mexi-Tele Blues Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2018
    Westminster, CO
    Delta Blues 210 owner chiming in...

If I could leave the clean channel on 6, believe me I would. But I can only realistically turn up to 4 at home, and at that level the things I love about that channel, namely the punch, sparkle, and headroom, play hell with my drive pedals. The lead channel, with the post gain dimed (or rather dozened) and the pre set to match the clean channel, tightens things up just the right amount for my drive pedals. The flub and grainyness present on the clean side is gone.

If you have the facilities, it sounds great without pedals too, with the pre and post at 6 and 12, respectively. Too loud for home though. And turning down the post gain just makes things thin, fizzy, and brittle. Which I imagine is where it gets its reputation.

savofenno likes this.
  17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Here is a secret..... the Classic 30 and all of the BluesHot Rod Fenders are single channel amps with added gain stages for the drive mode. The Delta Blues is of the same vein. You can change V1 in these amps to a lower gin tube and improve everything about the amps, ime.

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Both channels sound good, to me.

19. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Back when I had one, I changed the tubes to the Peavey forums preferred set(see if I remember right):
    -JJ EL84s x4
    -Tung Sol ri 12AX7 in V1
    -JJ ECC803S in V2
    -Sovtek 12AX7LPS in V3

And I put in an Eminence Texas Heat and Tom's Tube Tamer. I went from NEVER using the dirt channel to actually going out and buying a footswitch so I COULD use it. Give the speaker 20 loud hours break in and these mods make a noticeable positive difference.

Crobbins likes this.
  20. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2018
    Kansas
    I have the classic 30 head and 212 cab with vintage 30s and on the lead channel that combo is the best rock tone I've ever had from just a straight up amp overdrive. I don't even need a boost pedal. However I'll admit it has some help with an eq pedal.

I too exclusively played the clean channel when I was using the amp with Texas Heat speakers but once I switched to Vintage 30s I exclusively play the lead channel, from edge of breakup to heavier overdriven tones.

People have forgotten or weren't around but myself having owned Peavey amps since 1987 I followed their products pretty religiously. When the classic 50 line was first introduced they were primarily heralded for their lead channel and I think the amp was built around the lead channel primarily. The tweed was maybe misleading because the lead channel rivaled marshalls at the time but if they put that amp in the same black tolex, front panel box like the bandit I would guess the classics wouldn't have lasted more than 5 years in production in that package.

Joe Satriani used one on the Extremist album of the day, Dan Huff recorded a lot of Nashville hits with on, Brent Mason had one for several years as well. Clint Black, whose tone I always liked better than Hayden Nicholas , used one for years live and in the studio and just about every country live performance had a classic 50 somewhere on stage back in the 90s. Great tones in those amps, some find it dated while some don't think it's vintage enough but for just an all around good solid sound at gigs its tough to beat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.