Aren't these...the same? -- Classic Vibe vs Vintage Modified

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Veeseaczar, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

Probably a broken record question, but I haven't found an updated conversation regarding this question for 2019

a year when Squier is offering this:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squie...ic-vibe-70s-telecaster-deluxe/0374060505.html

and this:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squie...ge-modified-telecaster-deluxe/0301265505.html

Spot the effin' difference. Scrutinizing specs on the site says the CV (first) is made of poplar, has the new Narrow Tall frets, and uses the "Fender Designed" pickups--while the VM is maple, uses medium jumbo frets, and has the proper Fender Wide Range humbuckers.

The kicker--------------------------------------------------------------------they're both 399.99.

wat.
    help.
    y different.
    pls unconfuze.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  2. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

In addition to what you said above:

CV has 9.5 radius vs. VM has 12" radius.
    CV has tinted finish on neck.

Both are Made in Indonesia, so it is somewhat confusing. I would go with CV because of the neck and poplar body, given everything else is a wash.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

VM range is discontinued, I believe. It's still on their site because there are still new ones in shops.

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Are CV's made in Indonesia now? They were made in China, I hadn't heard they changed.
    The Classic Vibe range is supposedly Squiers top of the line. I'd have to agree going by the ones I have played and the one I own.

5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

They've just changed the name to Classic Vibe, consolidating two ranges into one. Creating more confusion by trying to remove some.

Go go marketing department...

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

For everyone who didn't get the memo, all CV models currently made in China are being discontinued as soon as current stock is depleted (no more are being built), and will be replaced by new made in Indonesia versions to be introduced at summer NAMM. Also, I believe all VM models are also being discontinued and replaced by similar models to be called CV instead of VM.

Route67 likes this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Squier is shooting itself in the foot IMO. There are already too many Squier models out and now they're cross-pollinating them in the name of marketing. Mixing the VM/CV line, moving manufacturing around, etc.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

The number of string trees?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

The body of the VM is poplar, not maple.
    Al

10. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

After looking at the specs on Fender's website, the CV Tele Custom is poplar, the VM Tele Custom is basswood, and the bridge pickup on the CV is a Fender designed alnico single coil, while the VM one is a Duncan designed TE101B, and both neck pickups are described as a wide range humbucker, with the CV saying it's Fender designed, and the VM saying just Fender. The other differences are that the neck on the CV is tinted, the VM isn't, the frets on the CV are narrow/tall, the VM ones are medium jumbo, the hardware on the CV is nickel, on the VM it's chrome, and the CV has a bone nut, on the VM it's something called PPS, which I assume is some kind of plastic.

Route67 likes this.
  11. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I did the same thing looking for a Squier Telecaster Custom. CV or VM - ???
    They're almost identical & cost the same.
    The current range of 'Vintage Modified' guitars don't seem to be modified at all, unlike the previous VM range.

12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I have some nice, well-made Indonesian guitars. But I cant imagine that the Indo CVs will be up to par with the Chinese CVs.

It may be the trade war, it may be rising costs of production in China, but from a consumer standpoint, they're fixing something that is not broken.

I will be thrilled if these new Indo CVs are awesome, but I'm not encouraged.

Also--Indian Laural fretboards? I need to play one to see what they are like. I'm a rosewood man.

havlma1 and Chunkocaster like this.
  13. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The last Squiers with rosewood were made in 2017. After the new CITES regulations Squier guitars all switched to laurel, just as all Mexican Fenders switched to pau ferro. The main differences between the current (and now discontinued) Chinese CV guitars and the new Indonesian ones, besides changing factories, is the switch from alder to poplar.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Route67 likes this.
  14. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Sad to hear that about the CV. The few I've played have been great guitars.

In contrast, I bought myself a VM bass a couple years back. Every part - pickups, electronics, tuners, bridge were all junk. Also had to toothpick every hole because the wood was so soft. It's been a project getting it into giggable condition. I do like the neck though.

15. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

So do you guys think they're basically just engaging in a production-cost saving move?

Like is this them just shuffling everything around to keep their overheads the same?

16. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Yeah, it seems like a cost cutting move, 'cause labor costs in China are rising, and are higher than in Indonesia. And, Fender keeps introducing new lines every year to generate interest. But, after this, they're gonna have nowhere to go, 'cause the Am Original, Am Pro, Am Performer, Mexican Player series, and now the new CV series are all new. About the only thing left is the Mexican CP Series, which is a few years old. Even the Mexican Deluxe series was just revamped a couple of years ago. So, it seems that only the Standard series from Squier, and the Elite or CP series from Fender are old enough to be redone again already, but even those are only a few years old.

Route67 likes this.
  17. Veeseaczar

Veeseaczar TDPRI Member

Or God forbid... they run out of things to reboot and have to come up with a new business model entirely.

Like using their body styles as platforms and offering a selection of a la carte upgrades and tweaks.

18. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

They don't seem to come up with anything truly new, usually just things like a Strat in a Tele body, or a Tele in a Strat body, a Gretsch in a Tele body, a Tele in an offset body, etc. Or new artist models like the JP Teles.
    But I like your idea- choose a body style, and then choose what pickups and hardware, color and other details that you want. But, those would be at custom shop prices.

Route67 likes this.
  19. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I just checked the specs on Fender's website, and both the VM Tele Custom and the new CV 70's Tele Custom are 9.5" radius.

20. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

They seem to have inconsistent specs for these two models. Maybe they (Fender) have not seen the model they specified yet!

I wonder if they are made side by side, or in completely different assembly / factories.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.