Are You Done Tuning?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boneyguy, Apr 24, 2019.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Meister

I tune my Tele' after every re-string. That seems to do it until I decide I need new strings.

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

can some one give me a n "E"?

I dont trust battery operated tuners because they drift as the battery dies , I always made sure I used a rack mount tuner that had a solid power supply , and every one tuned to one tuner.
    I always wished for an accurate strobe tuner .

4. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Wait a minute, I'm a little flat on that high E. Oh, now I'm sharp. Wait a minute....

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Orchestras tune to A, played by the oboeist. The oboe is the most difficult instrument to tune and play in tune. I don't have perfect pitch, far from it, but I can always think "A" and tune to it within a few Hz. Come to think of it, the oboeist was probably always off by a few Hz unless she tuned to a chromatic tuner less than a minute before playing her A. Thanks for that, too, Mr Matthews. "Play that again! And keep playing it until you can play it in tune! You're playing a trombone, not a slide whistle!" :eek::D

nojazzhere and teletimetx like this.
  6. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

All very well till the tuner falls off and the singer stands on it, leaving you bunched for the rest of a gig. Never again will I use a clip on live.

tintag27 and Flaneur like this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Jesus, for a $10 super-useful, universally available tool, you guys have a LOT of hate stored up. I would have KILLED to have a single cheap clip on tuner in the 80s when I started out. Do you really go to see a live show and it's ruined if somebody has a little piece of plastic on their headstock?

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

That's funny....you and I are exactly the same in the sense that we're both triggered by a basically meaningless little visual thing that doesn't really mean all that much really.....I'm amused by us. :lol:

9. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah..that's true.....it's not how my OP started out.....I didn't foresee this happening!!

10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A=440
    My mini moog had an A+440 oscillator on it and I still hear that tone in my head I usually nail A with in a few cents when tuning........

my daughter ( on the other hand) is a self taught oboeist, a truly difficult instrument to play, especialy when there are no instructors around
    she auditioned for, and was accexpted into the Honor orchrstra, and has opened for the University of British Columbia symphony Orchrstra here in town , Yeah I'm a little puffy cheated about that, ( I have a wall dedicated to her accomplishments, in music) she is a self taught pianist and guitar player, but her real talent beyond musical theory is her ability to play ,read, and nuaunce difficult and weird timings , something i could never do, she taught nerself to play "Gurudo Valley" off of the Zelda game, by ear on the Piano and guitar, then got the music later and was dead on the money.

JL_LI, nojazzhere and TigerG like this.
  11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

You can hang a waffle iron on your headstock for all I care if you can play and the band sounds good. 99% of the audience doesn't care.

12. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

no they don't

aerhed likes this.
  13. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

I have my own preferences and I'll trust other folks to develop their own. I think the point here is that it seems to take some players way too long to fiddle with the tuning devices.

For example, I have a bandmate who takes way too long to tune his acoustic guitar. plink, plink, plink....plink, plink, plink...plink, plink, plink....and on and on...and on...and then he puts a friggin' capo on and starts all over again. plink, plink, plink, And this is using a rack mount strobe tuner built into the sound board...plink, plink, plink. oh for the love of .....are you done now? How about now? Ok, this happens mostly during sound check. but still! !!!

Tragically, it's his band, and I was just taken on as sort of a hired gun, so, love it or leave it, I guess, and I've been doing it for 8 years.

So who's the crazy one?

plink, plink, plink!!!!

aerhed and nojazzhere like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Hang a waffle iron on my headstock??????? Talk about "neck dive!....Besides, have you ever tried tuning to a waffle iron? I like waffles, but I think I'll stick to my d'Addario micro! ;)

tintag27 likes this.
  15. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I do the best I can quickly, but close enough is fine with me.

16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Planet Waves NS tuner display goes under the headstock and you can't see it , does not look like an octopus sitting on your headstock truly one of the best inventions ever

jhundt likes this.
  17. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

A quote from the world's greatest out of tune guitarist Jimi Hendrix seems appropriate:

A Jimi.jpg

18. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic

I can understand that, but some folks around here seem to be all worked up about how they look. Are they even really that noticeable from more than a few feet away? And even so, what's the big deal? Do the interrupt the lines of the beloved shape of a Fender headstock?

19. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

The very first time I ever played for people who weren't family was a multi band thing in High School.

We had a friend who had joined the band not very long before & hadn't been playing very long at all. He asked me to tune his guitar for him before we went up.

Once on stage he decided to double check it, put it way out & he couldn't get it back.

"Hey there buddy, guess who's playing tambourine tonight".

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

I tune by ear, by hitting the harmonics at the 12th, then do the 5th fret thing. I own a pedal tuner, and used to use it at every gig.....

As a kill pedal so I didn't have to walk to the amp to be in standby.

Honestly, I kinda suck now, and should probably buy one of them new-fangled LED display pedal tuners for $20 if I gig between now and sucking less.

HOWEVER. I still ritualisticaly tune with a silver Korg battery operated OPP tuner from the late 90s every time I change strings. 11 year old me discovered the 9v operated Fender tuner lied, and its been the Korg since.

Now, teenage me used my moms stethoscope tucked by the strats tremelo springs to tune it unplugged playing at night, and I woulda paid lots of money to have a clip on then.

I couldn't really care if someone i go see has a clip on or not. Unless they're rich. They should have people for that if they're rich......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.