Are You Done Tuning?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boneyguy, Apr 24, 2019.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Just give me another minute here...

Straydogger, Skamania, ponce and 2 others like this.
  3. boneyguy

Said this to a friend the other night as he was coming offstage from the second set......

"That was interesting....do you think you're going to stick with that new tuning your trying out?"

He's actually one of the best guitarists in town....very talented, good ears, never out of tune......he knew I was joking and had a laugh about it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  4. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I know I'm immortal and all

But Seriously, we do have Clip On tuners now;)

boneyguy likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Tune!
    Tune well, tune often, tune meticulously, with any digital/clip on/stomp on device you have.
    Being out of tune is a crime against nature, I tell ya’!

6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I tune my Fenders at the start of a gig and check them, after a particularly 'energetic' tune. My Gibson slide guitar gets re-tuned a lot more- partly, because I use different open tunings and partly because it's a temperamental, humidity-sensitive beast...…..

I never use a 12 string, at gigs. ;)

Skamania and brookdalebill like this.
  7. boneyguy

Only for at home or rehearsal use though....never onstage!! They don't look right..:D

Chiogtr4x, Shuster and Buckocaster51 like this.
  8. boneyguy

316639_1.jpg

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I have yet ANOTHER reason for using a clip-on as opposed to a pedalboard-mounted tuner. Saturday, a pedal steel player got up to join us for a few numbers, and the other guitarist gave him his rig (board and amp) to connect to. The guitarist then grabbed a cable and plugged into another amp on stage. This left him without his pedals, including his tuner.....he was OUT OF TUNE for the entire last set because he couldn't tune himself. Since I use a micro d'Addario tuner on my headstock, I wouldn't have had that issue under any circumstance.
    The only bad thing that I did was I accidentally hit the wrong button once on my tuner, which flipped the display upside down when tuning.....threw me for a minute, until I could "adapt"....;)

10. nojazzhere

Do these look bad?
    march4,2019 098.JPG march4,2019 099.JPG

SPUDCASTER and El Tele Lobo like this.
  11. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I just love it when one of the other guitarist says, "i am good, I tuned last week..."

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

And it’s not so easy. A guitar is a fretted instrument. You can set saddles for octaves but notes between them may not be as close as you might like. Then there’s fretting pressure and the tendency to push notes sharp. I use a tuner to get the open strings in tune. I’ll already have adjusted the saddles. Then I’ll finger pick through a few important chords with open strings and make tiny adjustments so cowboy chords and chords up the neck sound good. I too believe that playing out of tune is a crime against nature. Thank you Mr Matthews (my high school orchestra teacher). I hope this attention to tuning keeps my crimes at misdemeanor level. I’m 69. I can’t commit crimes against nature any more. :p

hemingway and brookdalebill like this.
  13. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

tumblr_mycb1kPBOz1qdlh1io1_400.gif

14. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic

I think I'd rather hear the band play out of tune than see everybody immediately look down at the floor every time a song ends.

15. boneyguy

I have had one of those for years....when they first came out. I use it around the house when I'm playing.....it's probably still the most unobtrusive clip-on available...that's why I bought it. I still won't use it onstage.....hey, we all have our 'things'.

Does it work well onstage with all the other vibrations going on while you're tuning? I guess it must or you wouldn't use it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. boneyguy

Seeing something like this on stage is grotesque to me. ..and coming from people who are worried about how it looks to wear cargo shorts on stage!!..:)..to me this is the visual equivalent of putting cargo shorts on your guitar....lol. Hey, I don't lose sleep over this stuff.....when I see it it just leaps out at me as a visual yuck....I love the classic headstock shapes and hate to see them disfigured with clip-on tuners.....maybe I'm autistic? But I suppose it's preferable to hearing out of tune playing....

maxresdefault.jpg Reverb-Clip-on-Guitar-Tuner-Fender-Tele-1024x768.jpg

bazmusicman, nojazzhere and richiek65 like this.
  17. nojazzhere

Yeah it works well on stage....but I agree, the two you show above are atrocious. Can you tell in my first pic that I have a "little-bitty" screw holding the tuner on. Might help maintaining good contact to tune well.

boneyguy likes this.
  18. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic

I don't get the hate for clip on tuners. Looking at your headstock is way better than looking down at the floor.

19. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I'm ashamed to admit that I still can't tune by ear even after 40 years of playing. I know when it's out but can't get it close enough to be spot on. Too many years around noisy aircraft maybe... Couldn't even do it with pitch pipes (that were all we had in the mid seventies). Dem ol' bluesmen didn't have no gol'darn toonin' machines anyway, so I didn't feel too bad about it.
    These days I use a Korg LCA-120, which is deadly accurate. Which is more than my playing is. :rolleyes:

etype and nojazzhere like this.
  20. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Keef story..

When his mum was near death and bedridden, he came and played a song for her.

She said she knew it was him, because he was out of tune.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.