Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Are these Vintage Style Tuners installed properly?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twang Deluxe, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl
    Hello,

a few weeks ago I put some Vintage Style Tuners on my MiM Standard Tele.

It's very difficult to get the same spacing between each tuner and to install them straightly.

Which Tuner should I adjust to make them look straight?

Thank you

robt57 likes this.
  2. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    Pics? I use a small metal ruler to line mine up before installing.

3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    It looks like the holes for the mounting screws aren't in a straight line; they should be.

Did you have to drill the holes?

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Twang Deluxe

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl
    A guy from a Guitar Center drilled the holes

telemnemonics and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Oh boy, here we go...

Just a coincidence, but I’m doing a new neck right now. I had a reference line connecting all the marks, but sanded it off before color.

What @HappyHwy1owner was talking about was how most of us get the marks, for us DIYers. You should mock up the install with the tuners and their ferrules, slide a straightedge up against the side of the tuners to line them up, then mark the holes. Some of us come back and run a reference line to double check.

2B639F11-B8C7-4DEC-90A7-A123BA92B409.jpeg

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    There lies the problem.

Did he look something like this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Fill the screw holes with glue and broken toothpicks wedged in tightly. Follow the suggestions above, and redrill. Do it yourself this time.

On a more serious note, you probably need some larger retrofit bushings. MIM post holes are larger than vintage, and the vintage bushings will have slop, causing the posts to lean under string pressure. Stewmac and wd music have them.

skunqesh likes this.
  8. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    I miss Benny!

Shuster, skantzos and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Hard to tell from the pic which holes might be drilled out of line.
    Looks like the D and G tuners are not both lined up with the screws, so it might be the screws are in line but the tuners are screwed down out of line.
    Maybe just a couple of holes need to be filled with wood and redrilled, but bear in mind that the drill will tend to drift right back to the old hole if filled with softer wood than the surrounding maple.

Good question from @moosie about the ferrule fit.
    Are they tight?
    Can you pop one out to see if the GC guy just wrapped tape around stock size bushings? Tape will compress over time and your tuners will then have crooked posts that are stiff to return when you lower pitch.

WRT crooked, I've seen a lot worse, and it's tricky enough that otherwise handy guitar players mess up the first couple of installs a little.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    They should work, but they are not straight.

Take off all the strings, and slightly loosen the rear screws. Lay a metal straight-edge, or at least a tape line, across the back of the head. Align all the tuner housings to that, then tighten the screws.

tap4154 and Twang Deluxe like this.
  11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    If you paid GC for this work. I'd be talking with the manager.
    My kid coulda made them properly straight.

I sure be telling the GC manager this guy OBVISOULY has no business doing this work if he can't manage to mark/set and drill holes properly for a simple install of tuners that have been installed millions of times over time correctly.

skunqesh, darren7 and DrPepper like this.
  12. Twang Deluxe

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl
    Thank you all for your answers. The guy from the GC put some conversion bushings in. I will try to refill the holes and to redrill them.
    I think that it's not easy to do it properly. It's specially hard to get the tuners of the D and G string in line.
    I noticed on a few other guitars on the internet that these two tuners are not in line and the Tuner for the D string is slightly lower.

13. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    If I can drill those holes right, it can't be too hard:)

As @telemnemonics says, watch for drill wandering. Punch a nice deep pilot hole and that should help.

And be very careful on depth. It's all to easy to go through onto face of headstock:(

But before you do any wood/drilling, it's worth it to try what @EsquireOK suggests. There may be enough play in things to get them straight. If you push a straightedge against the base of the tuners as you snug up the screws slowly, it might get a lot better.

Twang Deluxe and telemnemonics like this.
  14. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I put some Fender vintage tuners on a Squier '51 neck years ago with 10mm bushings, and they came out pretty straight. I used sharp awl to make the holes, not a drill. If I remember right, I put the tuners in and lined them up with a straight edge, then put one screw in at a time (not making all the holes beforehand) only using the awl to make the hole. Using a drill bit is iffy because the grain can make it wander. Using a sharp awl you can be very precise. Also make sure you're using good screws, not pot metal that will snap off.

Squier 51 Tuners Back.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Shuster and Twang Deluxe like this.
  15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    LMAO!!!

Twang Deluxe and Chunkocaster like this.
  16. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    It is simple and quite easy. He [tech?] needs to buy some center point drill bits so no walking occurs due to the stupid little rings in the wood from how trees grow.

DrPepper and Twang Deluxe like this.
  17. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2014
    Dallas
    Sorry to say, lesson learned! And the lesson is stay away from anything Guitar Center. You're just lucky the clown didn't screw up the entire neck.

Save yourself any further damage from Guitar Center, find a reputable experienced luthier to fix it.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  18. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

What he said!

Twang Deluxe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.