Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Are there any famous Squier Tele players?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by AndrewG, Jul 30, 2013.

1. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Justin Hayward mostly uses a red '63 ES-335 or a '55 Martin D28, but he pulls out an older white Squier Strat for a few songs.

[​IMG]

2. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    Deborah Coleman has played one.

3. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Cool...Back in the summer of '84 I lived in the apts. on the other side of 436, behind the "China Garden".

I'm always on the lookout for used Squier Strats...and I'll be in Winter Park the last week of this month.

Can you recommend any particular pawn shops?

4. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2008
    T E X A S
    Robin Trower played and owns/owned a couple Squier Strats (Japanese-made).

5. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Andy Partridge of XTC on a Squier Telecaster. (A great video BTW.)

6. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I'm entirely happy with gigging my bog-standard Squier VB CV50s Tele some of the time. IME it's well up to professional use. Trouble is nobody knows how famous I am.

7. Voodoo Chile

Voodoo Chile TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2008
    T E X A S
    That was excellent. Met Partridge after a concert in Dallas during the Black Sea album tour (XTC opened for The Police on SMU campus)... truly a very nice guy.

8. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Amos Garrett has played a customized red double bound Squier Tele for years.

9. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Correction...... it's a Fender!!! Dang....

10. RedGuitars

RedGuitars TDPRI Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Chandler AZ
    First time I've seen a pic of Gary playing any single coil setup!

11. TommyShawMe

TommyShawMe TDPRI Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Winter Park
    :rolleyes:When visiting the Full Sail area. If you go to the South West corner of the campus ( 1st traffic light south of University + 436) there's a Cash America Pawn right on that corner. A pawn shop on campus. Imagine that! You can find 4 more within 5 miles. Not to mention the various other pawn shops. I don't know why, but the used Squiers sound much than brand new ones.:rolleyes:

12. TommyShawMe

TommyShawMe TDPRI Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Winter Park

If you go to the South West corner of the campus ( 1st traffic light south of University + 436) there's a Cash America Pawn right on that corner. A pawn shop on campus. Imagine that! You can find 4 more within 5 miles. Not to mention the various other pawn shops. I don't know why, but the used Squiers sound much than brand new ones.

13. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Mar 31, 2009
    Toronto
    I can think of two fairly well known players who play/played Squiers.

Regi Wooten, older brother of bass phenom Victor Wooten, uses a white MIJ Squier Strat that he claimed to have bought for $90.

The Toronto band The Pursuit of Happiness had a few hits back in the late 80's. The Squier Tele singer/guitarist Moe Berg uses in this video is still his #1 guitar.

14. TeleRacer

TeleRacer TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2015
    North of Atlanta
    Why, oh why, didn't Billy Squier cut a deal? Big Tele player with great tunes, pink shirt and all.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I'm not famous quite yet but did learn four more chords this week and one of them was a minor 7th! ;)

16. Oldboy

Oldboy Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2014
    Warrington, England
    Funnily enough I was just reading an article about J Masics and in it, it was mentioned that Fender had 'downgraded' the jazzmaster to Squier 'downgraded' seems a bit harsh

17. kennl

kennl Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    When you consider the marketing strategy involved, Squiers are less likely to be seen in the hands of the "famous"
    Fender has a better profit on a Fender instrument than a Squier
    If the fame of a player leads to increased sales of a particular model, it's better for Fender if it bears that decal
    Perhaps the Squier Signature models were marketed as such because corporate decided a Fender model might not sell well enough to the demographic target group

2 other considerations:

Fame does not directly equate with talent or chops
    The truly talented players know it's "all in the fingers", and play what they like, without reading the headstock

18. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio

19. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Saw one just like this MIK Thinline on my local CL for $250. Gone before I could get to it.

Anyways, this is Foster the People and they fella with the tele is Sean Cimino.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.