Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Are people high... or just stupid? (Used guitar price content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Sep 13, 2018.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    OK, today I was looking around online and browsing on Reverb for a Joan Jett Signature Model Melody Maker. I missed out (i.e. I couldn't afford it) when these were on the market back in - what was it? - 2006 or 2008. Back when they were new, these "worn finish" guitars sold for $749. I expected ten-year-old used ones would be in the $500 range...

Boy, was I wrong!

Pretty much every one I've found is asking DOUBLE the original, brand-new-in-the-box MSRP! People actually want over $1,200 for these allegedly "budget" guitars!

Are people just high? I can't imagine anyone is paying those prices. I understand it's out of production and it's a question of supply and demand, but it seems to me in this case supply has GOT to be greater than demand and those prices can't possibly be justified.

Am I wrong?

This is why I chuckle when I see people here saying things like, "Don't want to pay for a new Les Paul? Just get a used one -- They're cheap!" My experience is that anything with the name Gibson on the headstock sells for a premium online.

Heck, the other day I was looking at Victory basses -- Those things, which nobody wanted at the time, are also selling (well, sellers are asking) more than their original "new" price.

I know there are deals to be had. I just seem to be really bad at finding them!

Mini-rant over. Thanks for listening!

bender66 and PhatBoy like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I find more realistic prices on CL.
    Sellers on CL are often more motivated by immediate need.

doctorhillbilly and thegeezer like this.
  3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    This wouldn't explain everything, but isn't there a documentary or something about Joan Jett coming out soon? That would mean she's on "the public's" mind more than whatever is "normal" for her recently, which may lead to sellers hoping they can get more out of anything Joan Jett-related.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Some folks look around and find the highest price attached to the guitar model they are trying to sell, and use that as a starting point. Never mind that
    1. The guitar with that price could well be in much better shape than their guitar
    2. The guitar with that price might not have a hope in hell in selling at that price -- "honey, I tried to sell it but there were no takers".
    3. Sometimes, sellers are looking for a dupe.

Zaxxon, Hiker, PhatBoy and 1 other person like this.
  5. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    There is a time to buy and a time to sell. Market dictates both. Back when 'nobody wanted' Victory basses was the time to buy them.

Problem is, most people move with the pack. If 'nobody' wants them, they they don't want them. When they decide to want them, it's time to sell.

My wife shops at thrift stores all the time. Because of that I know this by heart--if it's there at a good price, buy it then.

And yeah--I've missed the boat many times.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

one more reason 'I love Rocknroll'!

My wife once rode an elevator with Joan Jett.... Joan thanked my wife for hosting her... my wife said 'you are most welcome'... and later commented 'she was tiny'

I saw her when she was a runaway... they were like 4th on a 7 band bill... I thought she was kinda cute... but tiny.

Buckocaster51 and studio1087 like this.
  7. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 7, 2009
    Ventura CA
    To answer your question, yes, most people are high.

8. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2006
    Kansas City
    I just got back from Colorado. I would say, probably high. but sometimes both...

Paul in Colorado and dkmw like this.
  9. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    It seems people buy many signature guitars, must think they will sound as that guitarist,
    They are all marked up big time. I think practicing
    On your guitar will get you more results.

10. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

who got off first? small hands? odor of cabbage?

getbent likes this.
  11. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    There are a lot of people that resell used guitars and sell them for the same thing you'd find at a Guitar Center. I'm finding fewer and fewer real auctions on eBay these days and getting good deals in general is rare. If an auction has a great price, I think people bid on guitars with the intent to resell them. kind of takes the fun out of it.

PhatBoy and LowCaster like this.
  12. DCW74

DCW74 Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    I buy vintage audio gear, and it really drives your point home. People ask ridiculous prices for things they don't want anymore.

But you do get lucky every once in a while. I bought an old RCA 16mm projector last week. The speaker came with it. All I wanted was the amp out of it. When I opened it up, I found two RCA 6L6GC blackplates. I paid $40 for the whole thing.

doctorhillbilly likes this.
  13. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    You are asking about BUYERS who are paying those prices... not sellers who are selling them for those prices, right?

Because if a seller can get that much out of the guitar, they definitely aren't high for selling it for that much. They are smart. Since it seems like the ones recently sold have sold for the $1,100-$1,200 range... I would say that $1,200 asking price doesn't seem like a "high" starting negotiation point. I assume if it is listed at a particular price then there is always room for negotiation. (some may not budge, but if you do it right, most will). So those listing at $1,200 (since plenty have sold for right around that recently)... I would say they are not "high" at all.

Now, if you are asking are the people PAYING those prices high? They very well may be. But just because you may not value the guitar that much doesn't mean that others shouldn't value it that much. The price of them may have gone above what you are comfortable paying for them... so you either step outside of your comfort zone or wait patiently to see if they come back down.

So no... the sellers asking that much aren't high because they ARE selling for that much.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”Are people high... or just stupid? (Used guitar price content)”

And??

radiocaster and Obsessed like this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Search the price guide on Reverb.

That will tell you what they have actually sold for in the recent past.

And what they go for - is what they go for.

Then, you find the one that has been for sale the longest and make an offer you’re comfortable with.

Then you get it or you don’t.

I passed up a Joe Strummer Tele for a great price by our friend milocj here on the forum and I regret it to this day.

Those guitars go for quite a bit more now than he offered it to me for back then... and quite a bit more than they were brand new. Just like a muddy or – a Joan Jett...

16. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2008
    portland, or
    sellers can set any price they want, but the market determines selling price ... the Joan Jett guitar may not have been made in large quantities or sold poorly at the time ... or collectors are holding them for a higher payout ... purely a supply and demand issue ... not stupid or high sellers ...

17. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Q: Are people high... or just stupid?

A: Yes!

Obsessed, Hiker and PhatBoy like this.
  18. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Are you implying Joan Jett is carney folk?

drf64 likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

If I was high, no way would I sell my Joan Jett Melody Maker!

20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    The Joan Jett model is a niche guitar. They didn't make tons of them. I look at them from time to time and they're always $1000-ish. It's not a high production Faded SG.

Low production numbers = pricy
    High production numbers but few surviving models (that are in one piece) = pricey

It's like collectible cars.

It's really hard to find the 2002 Melody Makers that had the tune-o-matic bridges for less than 600 now and they made far more of those than they did Joan Jett tributes.

You can buy the vinyl sticker set that comes with a Joan Tribute for $19.95 on Reverb but they're aftermarket. I have a white MM SG - this is so tempting.

[​IMG]

Used common Mexi Tele's are $350-$375 on craigslist. You won't get a Jon Jett tribute Gibson for $500. Clearly someone is high! (I'm just joshing man). :)

bottlenecker and soulgeezer like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.