Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Are Nash Guitars consistently great?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Inuitdream, Jul 1, 2012.

1. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

May 26, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I agree. There's a lot of "bolters and finishers" that run a fair and square business, that build guitars that are top notch in every respect, and that price them reasonably. There's several right here on the TDPRI, and they go out of their way every day to respond to posts and PMs, just to try to be helpful.

My Esquire/Partscaster was built by a local "bolter and finisher" with parts that he purchased based on my descriptions of what I wanted. He didn't make a single part of it. Yet, it is by far the best electric guitar I've ever played.

2. SRVwannab

SRVwannab NEW MEMBER!

Oct 24, 2010
    Utah
    Bill's wit works so well for him here- the irony of the Blues purists who didn't get SRV, have at least a little in common with many who have devoted a fair amount of energy populating guitar forums with posts about the inauthenticity of Bill's guitars.

Which isn't to suggest that is what anybody is doing here- I just thought it was ironic.

I have been a proud and very satisfied customer of Bill's for a number of years. I don't know if they are all consistently great, but I have loved every one I have owned. I can't say that about any other maker with the exception of Hamer, I guess. I have liked some more than others, yet hey all haven't been perfect, but I haven't owned one I was the least bit disappointed in.

YMMV. :)

3. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

May 7, 2008
    Okinawa, Japan
    He can say what he wants about his relicing. Most guitars that age naturally don't age in the way he ages his. I don't have a problem with the level of aging it's just aging in places where it doesn't or wouldn't occur naturally which to me makes them look strange. All the ones I've played have played well and sounded good.

4. sixtiesfan

sixtiesfan TDPRI Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Rochester
    I own a modest collection of instruments and regularly play a handful of guitars I love. One of them is a T63 Medium relic White Nash Telecaster. It’s absolutely, one of the best playing, sounding Tele's I've owned. Personally, I prefer the aged Nash guitars compared to the reissue products made by Fender. Just one guys opinion…not looking for a brawl. lol
    As far as folks being able to build their own…….it’s true that everyone can do it, but few can arrive at a high end quality vintage looking, playing & sounding guitar. Selecting the right parts and aging the parts accurately is an art . Bill Nash has relicing and building a phenomenal playing & sounding guitar it down to a science.

5. teza

teza TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2012
    France
    Try a Nash Telly in Chicago, agree far much better than original, and I do own one

6. janman

janman TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Southern Cal
    I own a Nash T-52 and it's my best sounding "Telecaster". Followed by a '62 made by D-Lux Guitars. My Fender '52 AVRI comes in third. Body/neck materials are important to tone, but I think the biggest contribution to outstanding tone is the pickups. Nash uses Lollar. The D-Lux is a close second with Lindy Fralin pickups for a distinct 60's tone. Both Lollar and Fralin are great and many builders use them. You could drop either of them into a Tele of your choice and wind up happy.

I recently modded a Baja Tele to play Jazz/Blues by dropping in a Don Mare Zep-o-Tone bridge and Lollar Charlie Christian neck combo. I'm still wringing out that guitar but it has great potential.

L to R:
    Fender Japan '62 Custom w/ Twisted Tele neck p/u and Broadcaster bridge.
    Fender Baja w/ Lollar CC neck and Don Mare bridge
    2013 D-Lux '62 w/ Fralin Blues set.
    2011 Nash T-52 w/ Lollars

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

7. janman

janman TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Southern Cal
    Correction to my post: The D-Lux "Tele" (Sonic Blue) is called a 63 T and the pickups are Fralin Stock, not Fralin Blues.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Tele-Holic

May 27, 2009
    South Bend, Indiana
    Some people buy guitars based upon the way the guitar looks and some buy them for the feel, playability and overal tone. Bill Nash simply offers a product that seems to satisfy those simple requirements. Who cares if Bill Nash builds his guitars from scratch or just assembles them?

If you find one that you really like, just buy it, play it and enjoy it! Stop worrying about the petty stuff.

9. janman

janman TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Southern Cal
    If you price out good quality components, building your own Tele will cost you about $1000 and about 20 hours of your time (not counting drying the paint).

You can get a Nash T-52 for about $1500.
    A new AVRI '52 is about $1400.
    Any Fender Custom Shop about $3500.

All good guitars. Are you loyal to a brand or a tone or your bank account?

10. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2011
    charlotte, nc
    I've got nothing against parts guitars; they're Teles, they're all parts guitars. But if you're going get one that's assembled from readily available parts, and you're going to pay much of a premium for it, you'd better really like the finish and the fretwork, because that's where every dime of the premium is. And you better count the premium carefully, because most major cities have got at least one guy who can do killer neck work and set-ups a) arent hard and b) really need to be done, then tweaked a bit at a time by the guy who's going to play the thing.

So if you don't like the Nash finish, you're not going to get your money's worth.

Why would we say negative things like that? Because it's a discussion forum, and the world ain't all puppies and rose petals.

P

11. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    Quick answer to the OP: Heck no! Played two exactly same models Nash, one was heavenly, the other, very uninspiring. Weird.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.