Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Are Nash Guitars consistently great?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Inuitdream, Jul 1, 2012.

1. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Holic

Feb 2, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have played a couple of Nash's and they were nice. So is a Fender, so is a G&L, etc, etc.

I don't debate the merits of it technically being a partscaster or not. Like the article says, a new Fender is basically a partscaster assembled by Fender right?

What I don't understand is this...

Mighty Mite Body $150
    Mighty Mite Neck 150
    Set of pups and electronics 200
    Hardware 200

these are prices available to the public, not to someone who buys in quantities of 100 guitars a month and we end up with $700 worth of parts, how does this become a 2 thousand dollar guitar? If I took my $700 worth of parts to my tech, he would charge me $200 to put it all together. So why is a Nash worth more than twice as much?

Again, I actually like the guitars, I just don't understand the pricepoint.

2. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I worked briefly at a guitar repair shop and there was a customer who brought in a few Nash teles. The 52 and I believe a 60s reissue.

My AV '52RI blew both guitars away. I remember the luthier at the shop just not getting why someone would pay so much for a partscaster with readily available parts.

The relicing is also WAY too extreme.

I think the owner hung those guitars in his office.

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Hahah, very funny!:rolleyes: What guitar isn't assembled from parts? The question is who makes the parts ... Last I heard, Fender produces most of them themselves, while Nash buys them from other sources and assemble them. Anyone could do that - and many do!

4. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Feb 17, 2010
    The Ol' Pueblo
    I liked the two I played A LOT. They were more consistent than the custom shop options I tried same day. I was thinking about buying one but at the end of the day I still like my old Am Std better. Keep in mind that I have had 17 years to get that one to be exactly what I want it to be.

However, if I was ever in the market for another high end Tele I'd consider Nash in my top 3 options.

5. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2010
    Jersey Shore
    I played one of his Strats once it was nice, very resonent and the relic job wasn't over the top. My friend who owns it likes to bang it on the floor etc on purpose. Makes me cringe.

I like honest play wear but I have nothing against relics, to each their own. Never set out to buy one but I stumbled on a lightly reliced Nocaster that I love.

After reading this thread I checked out some on the bay. Saw some nice ones but is it me or is this one just over the top?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nash-T-...g-/121031616274?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c2e0be712

6. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Feb 17, 2010
    The Ol' Pueblo

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    My AV '52RI blew both guitars away. I remember the luthier at the shop just not getting why someone would pay so much for a partscaster with readily available parts.

My point exactly. I've had a couple of '52 AVRI guitars, if you want a guitar with vintage appointments, that seems to be the ticket. Right now, they are blowing out the 2011 models, or whatever, the not new model ones with secret atomic pickups and screws etc. are called. The '52 HOT ROD is also available at prices that would make a builder cringe trying to compete. Best time I've ever seen to buy that type of guitar. AND, it isn't beat to hell and gone, looking like the guy that didn't like free grazers at the end of Open Range.:cool:

8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    I doubt most repair guys would do all of the fillling, sanding, spraying wet sanding buffing of a body and neck in laquer. relic the body and the hardware, assemble the guitar, wire the guitar, cut a bone nut, level and recrown the frets the way nash does, string it and set up it all up for $200. 'cmon man! If they do they won't be around in business for long. Plus you can't buy a pair of lollars and a switch and pots and a jack and a jackcup for $200 more like 275, plus ya'll wouldn't be happy the typical 6 pound boat anchor body you'd be getting from Mighty Mite (LOL). You might get some kid that lives on your block to put it together for that but not a pro. I dunno if Nash's are too much or too little, but I doubt you can get a professionally made, true vintage style fender guitar with nitro laquer paint, pickups and setup very similar to the FCShop (which is what a Nash is even if he buys the parts wood) telecaster for $900 unless you do the work for yourself and cut some corners probably or someone really give's you the hookup. You could get a decent production line fender for that though.

he would charge me $200 to put it all together. So why is a Nash worth more than twice as much?

9. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    You could say the same about Fender or any other bolt-up guitar and be just as wrong. The brand adds value.

Price point is easy. The marketplace sets the price. He says he sells 100 guitars per month. I guess you aren't a Nash buyer at his prices, but plenty of other people are. Used Nash guitars trade in an established secondary market. Your partocaster will be hard to sell, and to get top dollar you'd have to take it apart and sell the pieces.

10. I own a Tele

I own a Tele Tele-Meister

May 22, 2011
    texas
    All the non fender relics or teles with at least 20 years playing experience have been the best guitars I've played yet.

A builder I talked to before told me about the time spent selecting woods, crown and polishing frets, electronic selection such as vintage caps, wiring modifications, hardware, boutique pickups....most of the things people do to guitars they might buy from likes of fender.... Except at a cheaper price!!

Unless your getting a master-built fender, I'm not sure you would get these same qualities.

Since boutique relics and teles that have been played on a good amount are ideal to me.

Does the relicing have anything to do with the way it sounds and plays? I've noticed plucking and twanging take less effort with the right hand....almost heaven !!

11. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for sharing this, never played one but after reading this I certainly would like to. Sounds very down to earth and straight forward.

12. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I agree with you, that one does seem over done..

13. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2008
    Atlanta
    I've played 6.
    1 was a dog.
    2 were nice but nothing to write home about.
    2 were very nice.
    1 was maybe the best tele I've ever played.

14. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    LOVE my strat ... I prefer the light relic. That heavy stuff is way over the top. Best strat I've played ... feels like your old, favorite, broken in shoes.

I've played a lot of the Nash guitars ... most are very good. Some are fantastic.

I doubt I could buy some parts and throw something like my strat together ... some friends love it, some don't ... my buddy has a couple Nash teles. They both sound and play very nice. Thumbs up in my book.

Attached Files:

15. tele1951

tele1951 TDPRI Member

Feb 2, 2012
    texas

Agreed ^

I applaud Bill Nash. Sounds like a straight-up lover of guitars who has found a niche.

BTW, I dont own a Nash Guitar.

16. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Folks

Sadowsky and some others of the same caliber buy from USACG, Warmoth, etc.

As stated previously there is much detail in the end result.

I too applaud Nash. Prices are reasonable for the detail.

17. willspear

willspear Tele-Holic

Apr 29, 2012
    portland
    A friend owns a tele and a relicced les Paul by Nash. The aging on both looks period correct for a touring guitar aside from the neck being a little over done.

Both are fantastic playing guitars I'd be proud to own and thrilled to play.

As to price if you think him charging a dealer double his parts cost is ridiculous I think you are shortsighted on selling of goods. Have you ever gone out to eat. Food cost for a restaurant is generally depending on cuisine and business model runs 20-35%. The other overhead costs still exist. It costs a lot of money to put that meal infront of you. A typical restaurant can wind up in the single digits of percentage of net sales that wind up as profits despite the ingredients not costing crazy amounts. Literally less than a dime of profits for every pre tax dollar brought in.

While I am no guitar shop pro. I'd wager Nash has decent overhead as well such as rent, utilities, insurances, labor, advertising, safety equipment, cleaning supply's, inventory of goods required to build guitars.

Figure a 5 day week that is 20ish working days a month so that is 5 guitars a day. Lacquer isn't a one day process. I'd imagine they have a rotation of sorts to keep enough stuff curing at all times.

I am sure he does make a great living but people seem to think he is making untold fortunes off everything. If anything a shop making their own wooden parts if set up properly would have tremendously better margins. If you have access to cnc style production and scale those savings add up fast.

18. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

May 26, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    The "Eggplant" Analogy

Quote from the Nash site:

Those who hate aged guitars, want to bash me or anyone else who makes these types of guitars.

My first feeling is always - why does anyone take the time to write comments on something they do not like? I hate eggplant, but I do not go onto cooking forums and spew my feelings about how bad eggplant and eggplant recipes are. That being said, luckily no one puts a gun to anyone's head to make them buy my guitars or anyone else's.

Even if the quote is correct, it misses the point. I doubt if anyone actually hates Nash guitars and also doubt that anyone actually wants to bash Mr. Nash.

The point is much less sinister: A lot of people like the playability and sound of Nash guitars, but would prefer a lesser reliced or nonreliced finish. That's it. So it's not a matter of "commenting on something they do not like" as Mr. Nash suggests, because his guitars are in fact generally well liked. It's more along the lines of "I'd really like to buy that guitar, but I wish it wasn't so reliced."

Eggplant cannot change its flavor, and while Mr. Nash can of course build guitars the way he wants to, I think a lot of people wish that he would offer a line that was lesser reliced.

It's really no different than wishing that the Fender Custom Shop would reduce its prices by 50 percent.

So the answer to Mr. Nash's question ("why does anyone comment . . .)," is simple: We comment because we care about guitars.

19. reflected

reflected Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Budapest, HU
    Excuse my ignorance, but in what regards would a Nash 52 be better than, say, a MIJ 52? Apart from electronics, that is.

20. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    My T-52 is the best tele I own (I have 7). The relicing is so so, I didn't buy it for the looks. It is an amazing guitar, plays just right for me, sounds amazing. Then again, I played 4 or 5 others at ADM, and they didn't move me. YMMV

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.