Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Are Nash Guitars consistently great?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Inuitdream, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Inuitdream

Inuitdream TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Asia
    I have gone through a lit of teles, and the most resonant and toneful one is a Nash 62RI. I love it to death and it delivers every time.

I am tempted to get a 52RI from Nash thru the net. I just want to check with you good folks if his teles are consistently great? I want the to find my final 52 Tele, The One and hoping nash would be it? Or other brands hopefully in the price range of 1-1.3k used.

Thanks

2. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Couldn't say, but opinions obviously diverge on this site. It may have more to do with some of the relicing work looking far from realistic than the actual quality of the guitar though.

3. thekrees

thekrees TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Melbourne
    I've only tried out the 60s style Nash teles. Best teles I have ever played. Don't care one way or another about people's comments on the relicked look. The guitars are sensational to play. Wish I could buy one!

4. Inuitdream

Inuitdream TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Asia

Yeah, lots of bashing on the relic-ing. But I don't really care for the look. But the sound is great. I think Nash knows a thing or two bout combining parts to make em sound good.

5. Inuitdream

Inuitdream TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Asia
    I thought I could not afford one too. But my wife said, it's the best guitar you have ever played, why not buy it now?! :) Hehe.

But it's true, my other Tele's pale in comparison.

6. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    you'd think they'd widen their appeal if they did more non-reliced models. I don't care how good they sound, a lot of people wouldn't want something that looks like that.

7. Eric Clapton

Eric Clapton Banned

Jun 24, 2012
    China
    I've tried a few Nash's and researched them too. Play very well, finish as many said, unimpressively fake-looking. Worst of all, in my opinion, is that they actually make NOTHING! They just assemble readily available parts, finish them, set them up and charge an unfeasibly exhorbitant amount for the priviledge!

I'd sooner make a 'Partscaster' using parts of my own choosing/ finishing, then take it to a qualified luthier/ tech for a pro setup.

Sorry, but I'm NOT paying that kind of money to what I believe is called a 'Bolter-and-Finisher'.

8. Yammerman

Yammerman TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2010
    United Kingdom

9. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    +1. Build yourself a partscaster and you have the same thing. It's not rocket science.

10. Inuitdream

Inuitdream TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Asia
    Yeah, lots of good points there especially for detractors.

11. PeterUK

PeterUK Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    This is brilliant:

I'm going to cut and paste this into every future relic thread - right after those who have nothing to say post the usual purile comments like:

Good for you Bill Nash!

:lol: Peter

12. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    As mentioned above, they are assembled from readily available parts. It is impossible for them to all be great, but careful assembly will usually give a decent guitar.

Buy a Nash because you like the looks. Build your own Partscaster, or get a local guy to build you one if you're more interested in other stuff.

There is no such thing as magic.

P.

13. Eric Clapton

Eric Clapton Banned

Jun 24, 2012
    China
    Read my edit.

14. PeterUK

PeterUK Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    There is no such thing as magic but there is knowledge, skill, expertise, lessons learned and tips and tricks you learn the more you build.

For the record, I don't own a Nash but I have played one and it was a very pleasant experience. Excellent build quality (parking the issues of the relic finish), superb components (Lollar pick ups as I recall) and beautifully set up.

I am a big advocate of building your own (well, assembling from parts although I have graduated from parts to staring with trees as the basic component) but I believe it's a little harsh to suggest anyone can build a guitar to the standard of Bill Nash.

My first partscaster was great fun to do but a little raw but my latest projects are much, much better.

The additional dollar you spend on a Nash (or other maker) is for their knowledge and experience. That's why, if I'm reading the comments above, those who do own one feel they've got great guitars and great vaule for money.

Two final comments.

1. When you order a neck and body from USACG, Warmoth or others, you don't get a box of experience, knowledge or tips and tricks. In fact, you don't get any instructions at all.
    2. How many questions are posted here on the TDPRI seeking help and advice, often for the most straight forward advice. Often these threads start "Help, I've screwed up.....".
    :D Peter

15. Inuitdream

Inuitdream TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Asia
    Agree Peter!

I dont really care of the brand, but based on experience with a bunch of Tele's. Nash's are what I have found to be the One for me.

Just want to check on other folks' experiences to see if I should get another one.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

16. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    played the 62 & 52 nash builds at a guitar show in Phx AZ. Not impressed at all for the $$$ you spend, but what the hell do i care; its your money! For that kinda $$$ it better have top of the line compnents! Only 1 tele build that ive played that id say it worth the $$$> RON KIRN

17. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    I stumbled across them on the net. They look like decent guitars.
    I then found a store here in St. Louis that actually carries them,
    Killer Vintage Guitars. I may head down there one day and
    check one out in person. For the price, I would prefer to see
    it first and compare it to a Road Worn; to see what the differences
    are.

18. Sippo

Sippo TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Finland
    I've played 3 Nash telecasters. 2 of them were nothing special, but the third was fantastic (a nash paisley tele). I would buy it any day if I just had 2600€ extra. Personally, I would never buy any guitar without testing it beforehand, no matter what brand.

Oh and same thing on the finish. Some of them are quite realistic, while some just plain cheesy. This is based on the ones that I've seen in shops.

19. PeterUK

PeterUK Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    Oh my!

:eek: Peter

20. vinny199

vinny199 TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2011
    london, uk
    I like relic guitars vey much, but not the Nash ones.

There is a shop in Denmark street (the London, uk, music shop street) that stocks lots of them. A real good range of teles and strats.

They all look good from a distance but as soon as you get close to them, they really don't look that great. it looks a bit like a paint job is done to imitate "aging", rather than the wood having been "aged", if that makes sense.

I'm sure they sound great, but I did not get as far as playing one as I knew instantly the look of them meant it wasn't for me.

Make sure you see them for real is my advice. You really need to see the guitar for real to see if it would suit you in terms of look.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.