Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Are Luna guitars any good?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by LiverpoolFC, Mar 21, 2013.

1. LiverpoolFC

LiverpoolFC Tele-Meister

I'm searching for a guitar for the wife and she's a very visually-minded kinda gal, so I'd like to get her a good sounding guitar that also doesn't look plain like a Martin. I understand the tone is what counts, I'd play an old shoe if it sounded good, but she's different. I'm getting good advice on acoustics in another thread, but I wanted to specifically ask a out Lunas - anyone have one or have info on their quality of construction and/or sound?

2. WCK85

WCK85 Tele-Meister

I've played some that weren't that great and one that was pretty good. The one that was pretty good was their small travel size guitar. I almost bought it but I really wanted a Little Martin.

3. philpm

philpm TDPRI Member

The shop down the street from me carries quite a few Luna's. They're decent, especially if you can get one of the solid tops. The ones I've tried seemed to be well put together and sound pretty good, especially for some fairly inexpensive guitars. And some of them are actually fairly nice looking too. Just my two cents, but hope it helps.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

6. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

If your interested in Luna I would check pawn shops. At least around here you can't go into one without one hanging on the wall somewhere. I dont recall ever picking one up but they make some pretty guitars.

7. noakim

noakim NEW MEMBER!

Have a cheap Luna, actually made of splat. Functionally I like it but the bridge is stripping off the body now. Cheap :(

8. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

9. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Tele-Afflicted

I had a Luna with the multi-color finish and dragon fly inlays. It did look good. It sounded OK. I installed a bone saddle and it sounded better. I think they are expensive for what you get though. My impression is that you pay a lot to get something that looks good but doesn't sound good. I almost always try a Luna when I see one to try to get a better impression, but so far my opinion hasn't changed.

Ibanez makes cheap flashy guitars, however, the best sounding entry level guitars that I have found come from Alvarez and Yamaha, but you won't find a flashy model from them.

One more thing about the Lunas. The necks are usually thinner so the string spacing is tighter. If you have big fingers it might not work out for you at the nut and if you want to do fingerstyle it may not be enough room at the bridge.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  10. zooman

zooman NEW MEMBER!

Luna guitars are fine good but a little pricey unless you find one on sale. I own the tele style electric that is very well built and plays and sounds good. The Luna has a nice neck and grover locking tuners. The company has good support and a great website with instructional videos; comes in handy and might inspire your wife to play. I found a new one for 265.00 a couple years ago but before I paid full price (450+) I would look elsewhere.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.