Are Ibanez guitars really that good !!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bftfender, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Thanks. If I didn't have 3 Teles already I'd be looking at those Michael Kelly's as well. They've got some very cool stuff out these days.

cc50fralin likes this.
  2. bumnote

bumnote TDPRI Member

B6877185-69F7-442D-A6AB-4021205C3BE0.jpeg 4DB582F5-35FC-48C5-A740-AC794B067922.jpeg

I just recently bought an '82 AM50 in near mint condition. For those unfamiliar, it's essentially a 339 sized semi...except the introduction of the 339 was decades away.
    This guitar is incredible. Perfect construction, very light weight, great neck...and the Super 58's are probably the best PAF style pups I've ever played. I understand now why people rave about them. I've had it a few weeks now and it's definitely become one of my two or three "never part with" guitars.
    These AM50's and 205's are a phenomenal under the radar vintage buy...and generally extremely affordable. A lot of Ibanez's fall into that category. If you're a player, not strictly a collector, you can spend under $2000 and get a vintage Ibanez that will be better made than just about any Gibson or Fender made in the 70's or 80's.

I also have a 2016 Scofield JSM10, the MiC version. I have to say the JSM10's honestly hold their own nicely against Ibanez's "Golden Age" era. The MIC version of the Super 58's aren't bad...in fact the neck pickup is fantastic. Believe it or not...the rounded fret ends on the MIC Ibanez puts EVERY guitar I've ever owned to shame. I have replaced the tuners with Gotoh's. The stock are OK and do what they're supposed to, but I got a set of Gotoh 21:1's for $50.

While '82 AM50 is better than the JSM10...price wise is currently about the same price or even slightly less expensive than a brand new JSM10. They aren't easy to find, but generally run a little south or north of $1K. If you're looking at a Gibson 339...the AM50 is honestly better than the 339's I tried.
    So...at long last to the OP's question...yes IMO Ibanez's are that good. Nothing will ever take the place of my Tele's and Strat's...but for every other style of guitar I generally buy Ibanez.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  3. bumnote

bumnote TDPRI Member

That is a beautiful guitar!

viccortes285 and sean79 like this.
  4. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Holic

these old Ibanezes are in the same as today pro class guitars made in indonesia (thinking of yahama sg or esp guitars)

5. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Thanks and back at ya. You don't often come across vintage AM's as pristine as the one you've got. Nice find.

savofenno and bumnote like this.
  6. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

You simply can't go wrong with an Ibanez (guitar OR bass). Love my Ibbys.

savofenno likes this.
  7. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    Pic of the js1000

savofenno, awasson and Beachbum like this.
  8. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

The one thing Ibanez guitars have going for them is consistency. You can pick up any JEM or JS, or any other model and it will look, feel, and play just as good as any other.

They’re like the Honda of guitars. Well made, reliable, and plenty of nice features...but not all that exciting.

The copies from the 70's however, are among the finest electric guitars ever produced.

9. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Dunno...I love playing my Ibanez more than I ever liked any other electric guitar.....and I have had a few of them....

savofenno and awasson like this.
  10. Skip Reid

Skip Reid TDPRI Member

BROTHERS!

20160318_104216.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  11. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Do you think that applies to the GIO models too? If it does, I wonder how the cost is kept down with GIO's? I've heard the pickups in GIO's aren't very good. They sure are a lot of cheap used GIO's available.

12. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

I’ve never played one, but GIOs are Ibby’s Chinese/Indo made budget line. Most of the time the overall workmanship with guitars like these is fairly decent, but they’ll skimp on things like hardware, electronics, and little construction details to cut cost. Upgrades are easy though.

Bassman8, Bluego1 and DugT like this.
  13. heem6

heem6 TDPRI Member

I've had two MIC Artists and liked both, but have kept the LESS expensive model. The 720's neck just seemed too big for my small hands at the time. It was a beautiful and well made guitar, but I sold it to someone who loves it. I picked up this AR220 recently for a song, and have fallen in love with it. People complain about the ACH pickups (made by Artec model LPC210, Bridge 16.9k Ceramic, Neck 8.4k Ceramic) , but I think that's because Ibanez also puts them in the jazz guitars, and they're more of a distortion pickup. Took it to jam night recently and got compliments on my tone from both drummer and bassist. Pretty much nailed the Judas Priest "Grinder" guitar tone. I'm planning to put an A3 in the neck pickup and see if it can get close to a Super 58 sound. Cannot overstate how cool the Tri-Sound switching is. Just love all the sounds that come out of this guitar. And although they're probably made in the same factory, this neck seems more comfy to me. I think there might be slight differences, because the neck on the 720 was the smooth heel, maple construction type, and this one is the stepped heel (still great high fret access) and mahogany construction. But I believe that is what gives this guitar it's fat tone. All that said, both were fabulous guitars, one just fit me better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    telestratosonic and perttime like this.
  14. 8livesleft

8livesleft TDPRI Member

My 1st electric was an Ibanez RG470. Now, I have an Indonesian RG 7 string, RG Prestige 8 string and a Korean SZ Prestige neck thru.

These are mid to higher end so they're definitely very well made. The Indonesian RG Premium shocked me with how good it is. Smooth rounded fret ends, 11 piece neck. Flawless construction.

But I've owned some budget models too. RG 370, 470, SA260. These were all great guitars too. The SA was my main guitar for 15 years. Never failed once.

Ibanez guitars have always been player's guitars regardless of price range.

20180710_094741.jpg IMG_20190410_091437.jpg IMG_20190410_091620.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.