Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Are Ibanez guitars really that good !!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bftfender, Aug 2, 2018.

1. GeekPriest

GeekPriest TDPRI Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Central Texas
    Menga had a recent blog article on the Roadstar II that seems to echo this, along with suggesting why the Roadstars are in such good condition overall: https://menga.net/ibanez-roadstar-ii

awasson, StrangerNY and bftfender like this.

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's

Yeah, they pretty much nailed it.

(And that white one looks good.)

- D

GeekPriest and awasson like this.

3. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Oh yeah!! Nothing plays like my JS1200. Everybody thinks they're just shredder guitars, but this is a suped-up strat on steroids. I play everything on this thing...easily the most versatile guitar I own. And it plays like a dream.

bftfender and awasson like this.

4. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    I got this JSM10 as a birthday gift from my wife and also own an older, cheap artcore AG75 which was my main guitar for a couple of years – before I got an Eastman and eventually switched to a tele (the one on the sofa).
    I think the guitars are very good value for the money.

awasson and bftfender like this.

5. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    main axe for E standard this go round will be the RG470 with 570 neck..it shreds but back off and it jangles...we had it in studio tues and had an American tele & strat out and it is right there with them if need be...studio guy has been trying to buy this off me,,its the blue on rg470 & 350.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    awasson likes this.

6. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Oh yeah, that’s the business! I love everything about that.

That headstock design is by far my favourite of all of the Ibanez headstock shapes. I don’t play my AS100 that often anymore but when I do, I’m amazed at what a great playing guitar it is. I think everyone who’s interested in guitars should play an Ibanez like yours or mine. It would spoil them for all other guitars.

savofenno likes this.

7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Back in the 90s I had an 80s AS80, the de-blinged and slightly smaller version. Great guitar also – although the V2 pickups were a bit too hot, I gave it to my girlfriend – wish I could buy that back.

awasson likes this.

8. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Yes, Ibanez knows how to manufacture fine guitars. They've found it hard to make inroads into the "expensive guitar" category, though with the Jem and a few other models that is changing more and more. Some of their older premium models that we may like now were pretty much busts at the time, with the Santana-endorsed Artist being the most notable. There's an incredible Scruggs LP-style that was great but never at all popular, and some of the Alembic-influenced Musician series never made it very far. I attribute most of this to simple bias against misunderstood offshore build quality, as most players respect those guitars a lot. I love my LPs and SGs and Teles as much as the next guy, but the persistence of those forms and makers as players' choices has gotten really tiresome, IMO.

savofenno likes this.

9. Bluego1

Bluego1 TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Washington
    I’ve got that AX 120 in blue, but I switched out all the electronics and put Dimarzios in (Distortion bridge, Air Norton neck). Put in push/pull pots to take advantage of the humbuckers’ coil tapping feature. An absolute joy to play, but the original electronics weren’t very good (pretty cheap actually but expected in this cheap of a guitar). I play it every day for a bit, just for that bridge pickup.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    shupe13 likes this.

10. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    I wouldn't trade the pickups on mine for anything. the neck sounded a little loud but all that took was rolling the tone off a little

The blue is sharp but wasn't available in Canada

savofenno likes this.

11. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    Here's a pic of me with my new one Jan 1, 1963 on left With Ibanez 1-1-1963 001.jpg . Was sort of a copy of a jazzmaster. Bought it in Inglewood, CA for $129.99 with case. Was my 2nd electric after my "Ritchie Valens" Harmony.Everything, switches, etc was on top of the slab with a brushed aluminum cover over everything.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 11:39 AM
    ftbtx, shupe13, savofenno and 2 others like this.

12. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Worth it definitely. Japan built Ibanezes today have no competition considering quality/price ratio. Some brands with Polish related directors demand 2-5x of what MIJ`s cost, i am afraid to no increase in quality. Gibbys, Ricks & other are nice guirars though, but is there any meaning for them to cost more than 3000? Fantasizing in the clouds...

awasson likes this.

13. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    Ibanez kills no matter if its made in whereever but idea that active pups can kill passive pickups .. maybe they are louder, have lower noise but dynamically they will always sound exagarated no matter how your right hand is doing. For metal or hiphop active pups all the way ...but even for modern rock, blues jazz or anything else naaaay

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 5:54 AM
    Telemarx likes this.

14. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    My modded Roadstar RS-135 from 87, one of the last batches from Japan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

savofenno and awasson like this.

15. alexwilds

alexwilds TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Japan
    Japanese craftsmen take real pride in their work, not just Ibenez - Fujigen, Tokai, and others make excellent instruments. The weak points are pickups and electronics - not always, but sometimes. But switching out pickups and pots is easy. I have had pre-CBS teles and esquires, and now use a MIJ Strat and a Tokai Telecaster, which look, feel, play and sound exactly like the old Fenders should.

savofenno and awasson like this.

16. cc50fralin

cc50fralin TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Queens, NY
    Yes, they are that good!

A bass guitar counts as a guitar.

Here's my 1979 Ibanez Musician.

Made 39 years ago, I'm the only owner.

Bought it at Alex Music, NYC, 48th street.

The construction is excellent, and has stood the test of time.

Ibbys be good.

Mike Mus_1.jpg

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I've only had ONE problem with an Ibanez, and I've owned several. I had a Japanese RG-750 in the late-1980's that could not be intonated. The bridge was positioned either too close or two far from the nut. I remember that this only seemed to affect one string and you couldn't tell when I was playing it (partly because my playing sucked anyway...), but you could see it on the tuner. The bad news here is that means there were probably 1,000 guitars produced with exactly that same problem. BUT, there are a few Gibsons floating around out there with that problem also, sooooo.......

18. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    This one has been my #1 since I got it back in 83. It kept my semi hollow gas under control for a very long time.

83 Ibanez AM 205

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 12:16 PM

19. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    I've got a new AR 325 with Super 58's as well and it's an outstanding guitar. The old Super 58's were Alnico III and the new ones are Alnico V. Still excellent pickups but a bit brighter with more bite.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 12:17 PM

20. cc50fralin

cc50fralin TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Queens, NY
    Beachbum , I have to say, you have two very nice Ibbys there. ;)

Before I bought my Michael Kelly Telecaster, I was looking at the Ibanez AR420.

I still might, but I'm thinking about a mandolin now.

Mike

Beachbum likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.