Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Are Ibanez guitars really that good !!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bftfender, Aug 2, 2018.

1. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    That is the latest version of my 2014 AR720. The new one has less pearl and also doesn't have the two switches, one for each pup for for single coil/humbucker, parallel. Those switches would be easy to add but it would be stressfull for me to drill holes into such a beatifull wood finish.

201708045Ds-0510-Edit.jpg

savofenno, BB, Zepfan and 2 others like this.
  2. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    It's worth noting that when Ibanez reissued the Artist a few years back, they made the standard good-quality Chinese versions for around $600, but they also had a limited Japanese run that was top-notch quality, just like the old ones... and they cost $2500. Yikes!

savofenno likes this.
  3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's pretty much what my '80 Artist would go for if I decided to sell it. About 10 times what I paid for it!

But that ain't happening.

- D

savofenno, BB and awasson like this.
  4. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2011
    SpanaGrahm, WA
    My thoughts on Super 58 pickups... On my '84 Roadstar RS1010SL, the guitar never sounded right with the Super 58s, just too muddy and lifeless- the bridge pup was an overwound 58 in that particular guitar. A set of Donlis uncovered PAF-style pups brought it to life.

On my new JSM10, the 58s are bright and articulate, and it may be a long time, (or never,) before I try a new set.

savofenno and raysachs like this.
  5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    "overwound 58"... there was such a thing? My 58s were both wound between 7 and 7.5k... and great because of it.

savofenno likes this.
  6. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    They still have the coil-split switches in the higher and lower end version of this guitar, but the AR720 they left them off and just went with more of a minimalist design. I have one of those switches for the neck pickup on my JSM10 and I've played around with it, but I basically never use it, so that wouldn't get in the way of me buying the current AR720.

They still do - they have two Chinese versions, the AR420 at about $650, AR720 at $900, and an AR2619 "Prestige" model for $2300.

It's the same thing with the semi-hollows. There are Chinese made Scofield models around $1000-1100 and a Japanese made one for $2800. And there are Chinese made AS and AM models up to about $1000 and then the AS and AM 200 models made in Japan at about $2300. The quality of the Chinese Scofield is so over the top excellent that I can't see paying the huge premium for the Japanese made models. Hell, my Chinese made Scofield is nearly as perfect in fit and finish and playability as the American made PRS I had for a while that costs nearly 4 times as much new.

-Ray

savofenno, RoyBGood and oyobass like this.
  7. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2011
    SpanaGrahm, WA
    It was specific to the RS1010SL, the Steve Lukather model. They reportedly started out with a 58 core and put more windings on it at Lukather's request.

8. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    Does anyone here have an opinion of the Super 80 "Flying Finger" ceramic pickups in the AR guitars? They put the same pickups in the Prestige version so they must like them. They sound ok to me but I have little experience with humbuckers. I like that they split out the single coils and that is what I usually use but I prefer the single coils on my Talman so I don't play my AR very much. Maybe the Super 80's would sound better if the magnets were switched to Alnico's.

9. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Having a great time enjoying the info. I contacted my collector friend who i get Gibsons of off and got a list of 20+ Ibbys he has...most never touched..prob going to grab 5 or so and play em for a few days and work some trades out, looking for 2 more keepers...starting at roadstar series into rg & prestige lines..active, floyd rose and hardtails...and prob a mahogany solid neck thru of some sort

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  10. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Good information in this discussion. I didn’t know the Super 80’s were ceramic. I thought the Super 70’s and 80’s were like then Super 58 and were an Alnico variant.

That said, it shouldn’t be difficult to get and replace the magnets with whatever Alnico you want.

11. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    Here’s a few of mine. I have an older AS-83, a SZ-320 and a SZ-520. The AS is easiest of all my guitars to play for some reason and the SZ’s cure my LP itch. They are thick mahogany bodied guitars, carved topped and come with the belly contour. Sound close to an LP but more comfortable to me. And can be had at a bargain at times. Actually paid $200 and less for each guitar. One of the SZ’s I refinished. Hard pressed to beat for the price.
    47EFD777-226D-4C2F-9868-9343F6BFD05A.jpeg 2F470327-3EFE-40E8-B37D-39DD10B4DA33.jpeg

Attached Files:

awasson and bftfender like this.
  12. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2011
    SpanaGrahm, WA

13. bftfender

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Got 2 coming tonite or tomorrow..needed another 7 and wanted a maple neck and floating trem

14. RB522

RB522 TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Burlington, WI
    Yes, they are. I have 3 of them, and they are all outstanding guitars. They sound good, hold tune, and feel great in the hand. Ibanez and Fender are my two favorites.

raysachs, savofenno and awasson like this.
  15. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Yep, that'd be me too. I have three Fenders and an Ibanez and it's been basically Fenders and Ibanez (and Martin) since I started playing 40 years ago.

16. tooloud

tooloud Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2009
    Richmond, TX
    I have an 83 Ibanez Artist its pertty sweet.......
    [​IMG]3some by tooloud, on Flickr

shupe13, awasson and bftfender like this.
  17. bftfender

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Got to play a bunch of my collector friend Ibby guitars tonite and came home with 2. Japan made RG470 w/550 neck & RG350 rg470 & 350.jpg

shupe13, savofenno and BB like this.
  18. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Sweet guitars bro! The Ibanez guitars I've been blessed with seem to have the perfect balance between amazing tone and even more amazing playability.

savofenno and bftfender like this.
  19. bftfender

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    just spent an hour with the rg470...wow..the neck...the tone...it plays like butter..its fast..i see what they say about the japan line...impeccable finish and better yet..the playability

20. jonton2

jonton2 TDPRI Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    IMG_0253.JPG

I just picked up this JetKing for $100 off craigslist. She sounds spectacular. Cool split of the buckets to get into Single Coil land. This puppy has some spank.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.