Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Are Ibanez guitars really that good !!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bftfender, Aug 2, 2018.

1. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yup, the old Super 58. Apparently they are different from the new Super 58. I think the old ones have an Alnico 4 magnet. I’m not sure what the new Super 58 magnets are. From what I’ve read Alnico 4 are similar to an Alnico 2 humbucker; more lower midrange grunt and less scooped than and Alnico 5. I’ve compared and think there’s some truth to that. I prefer A2 humbuckers and I like my old Super 58’s too.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    The prestige lines and the DiMarzio ones are supposed to be better but by how much, is up to your own ears.

They are all well balanced for the styles they are intended for - a flat, overwound ceramic is nice for the modern styles it is aiming for. I swap pickups to get a mix of more vintage rock sounds.

Always try before you buy.

bftfender likes this.
  3. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Holic

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    Last monts I bought CORT TS200 lp copy and CORT bg74 active bass both altogether for 200€
    They play like a dream and I tend to change only a zero nuts to tusq
    I keep all the rest stock.
    Ibanez, CORT ans ESP are all lovely guitars.

Tonetele likes this.
  4. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I regularly see people mention they sold it or don't play it due the slim nature of the neck....I love my RG470, was my first and only guitar for nearly 8 years.

BUT I too nowadays find the slimness hard to play for any length of time. There must be literally multiple thousands of these guitars around that don't get played due to the thin neck.

I have looked but can't find anyone who makes one....Surely there is a market for replacement necks that have a more traditional thickness?

I would love to resurrect the old RG, it is a fantastic, do everything guitar.

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    I think there is more than one thickness of Wizard neck. I have a 90’s RG I found in a state and fixed up with a really solid through neck which is almost Gibson like in girth and an S series with the very slim wizard neck.

The old RG is a solid guitar.

6. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    They were A3 magnets. The new ones were as well, but then some of the new 58s had A5s, but those had a special designation... that escapes me now. It was clear they were different.

7. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes that sounds correct. Ive only seen the new ones with A5 magnets for sale (used).

8. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    maybe a dumb question and i apologise ahead of time,,but only really knowing gibson pups, do the magnet values translate into Ibanez just like on a Gibson, cause i def have my pickups chosen on each guitar and learned how each sounds. Can i apply what i know about Gibson to Ibanez or is the some things i might not know that i must take into consideration. The reason i ask, is on Cl there is a choice of so much and its so cheap and you could build what you want and have a great guitar for under $500 customized to your needs that rival way more expensive ones

9. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2008
    ohio
    Only 10 guitars here...I sure would like to make room for a Joe Satriani model....:)

awasson and bftfender like this.
  10. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    The Super 58s in the newer semis are also really nice. I've never had one of the older ones to compare, but I've had a couple of semis with them within the past year and they're damn nice. I recently got rid of a PRS 594 (comfort/pain issues caused by really forward leg cut which made me twist around in my typical seated playing position) that was a near perfect guitar that would cost $4200 new and I replaced it with a Scofield JSM10, which is an $1100 guitar and the difference is one of type, not quality. The Scofield, a Chinese made, mass produced guitar plays as well and is as well finished as the 594 (if not as fancy a top) and the sound is different but with those Super 58s, very very good. The 594 had amazing resonance that no other guitar I've played has had, but in every other respect other than aesthetic, the Scofield is a match for it.

awasson and bftfender like this.
  11. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

In the 80s, Ibanez was a top brand. Hair metal was huge, and the top brands everyone wanted were ibanez, Charvel/Jackson, Kramer, etc. Gibson and Fender were still considered quality brands, but old fashioned to a lot of buyers.
    Their looks and sounds became unfashionable, and now more people are familiar with the budget versions of their products.
    It was originally a style thing though, not a brand thing.

12. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    For sure that was a thing. But they also always made really good versions of classic guitars. They've always made really good Les Paul type guitars, regardless of how much they had to subtly change the shapes to stay out of court. They've made quality semi-hollows and hollow bodies since the late 70s / early 80s. They've made tele and strat types at various times as well. So, yeah, they capitalized on all of the pointy body, skinny necked metal guitars when those were popular, but that's never been their whole story, and obviously not the lasting part of their story...

-Ray

awasson likes this.
  13. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I have a 1980 ibanez artist. Great LP type. I don't think they make anything like it now at that quality level. I bought it for $125 when it was just some old guitar people didn't want. The ibanez brand was more desirable then, but the style was not.

14. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I had one of the PF three pickup Les Paul knockoffs that they made in the late '70s. I was new to playing and I didn't know what I had, but in retrospect that was one of the nicest guitars I ever played. Didn't know what they hell to do with all of those pickups, but I found a couple of sounds I liked and the neck was just sublime. Lately I've been playing their semi-hollows and I don't think they've come down at all since those highly coveted early ones. I'm not in the market for a solid body humbucker guitar at the moment, but if I was, I'd love to give one of these a shot:

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg...8&cat_id=1&series_id=8&data_id=232&color=CL01

Given the quality of their other stuff I've played at this price point, I can't imagine I wouldn't be happy with it...

-Ray

awasson likes this.
  15. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

both those guitars are great. The Roadstar especially was a hard rock workhorse around here in the 80s, can be had for cheap if you can find one these days. You certainly could do a lot worse than an old Roadstar for a modding platform, or, just to put in different pickups and see what happens. Built like a truck.

16. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    I had a Precision Bass, I had a hard time getting around on it, and realized I needed a short scale. Being I only need a bass for an occasional home recording, I didn't want to spend big bucks, so a Fender Mustang was out of the question. I ended up with an Ibanez TMB30. I think it cost me $153.00 New, it does the job nicely. Ibanez makes some really nice guitars, that you can get on sale at the various online retailers.

Full Front.jpg

RoyBGood and Fearnot like this.
  17. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah it was a little to thin I had played it 4 to 5 days a week for three years with the band and ended up with one of those wrist lumps on top of the wrist,I love the brand,I just have to be more selective with what I need.With age and experience I learned,Everyone would tell me to just push on the lump and it would release or pop or something,NO Thanks it went away by it self.

18. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I really dig the Roadstar. Someone already replaced the neck pickup with some sort of a blade humbucker, but they also installed a coil tap. I can get a pretty credible SRV-type tone out of it without even trying too hard, and the bridge pickup (still the original, I'm pretty sure) takes care of all the other rock tones I need. The neck is flat, fast and extremely comfortable to play.

And you can tell just by picking it up that it's rock-solid. It reminds me of my Teles - nothing really flashy about it, but it'll get the job done with precision and efficiency. My kinda guitar, for sure. I'm thinking of buying another one already.

- D

19. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    what would be Ibanez version of
    that is nice !!

20. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2011
    SpanaGrahm, WA
    John Scofield plays an Ibanez Tele when not playing his AS200.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.