Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Are Ibanez guitars really that good !!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bftfender, Aug 2, 2018.

1. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    I had an eye opening experience this week. I have been fortunate to own very good Gibson & Fender guitars since i switched from bass 3 years ago. currently own 4 Gibsons and they are very good guitars and traded off 2 american fenders.I was a bass player since young and always rocked a fender P bass but when i got in a metal band found Ibanez...the neck is insanely comfortable and the action can be set way better. I should of applied this knowledge to guitars. last week i got an Ibanez with active pups and it kills these gibsons..in rock-jazz-and it does the metal perfect..not here to bash any manufacturer..just still floored a $2oo guitar can be made this good..the neck the fit of the body..the SOUND...crystal clear bell chimes to hardcore distortion.... think i might move another guitar cause i found this RG prestige line case queen and a 7 stringer a guy will trade plus $200 for a LP i have...this has been such a mind____ cause i cant put the cheapy ibby down, just to try and prove myself wrong.. played jazz and regular music on it and a/b'd with my Gibsons...the comfortability and tone of Ibby honestly won.. even re EQ all amps to to more traditional setting to compare..anybody else got a cheapy that just dominates your playing time but you struggle cause on the wall a guitar just hangs there,,but the perceived value or name on headstock forces you to use it more than you would?

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

What model do you have?

3. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    2010 Ibanez RGA72TQMZE ESP&Ibby.jpg

Gibson, Sollipsist and savofenno like this.

4. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I have enjoyed all the ones I’ve owned

viccortes285, savofenno and bftfender like this.

5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    They are very good value for money.

savofenno and bftfender like this.

6. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

May 25, 2006
    jersey
    My js1000 is probably one of the best super strats I've ever played. I know a lot of people here hate the floyd but ibanez's iteration (edge) is really good.

jman72, Gibson, awasson and 3 others like this.

7. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    my next purchase is going to be an Ibby with a Floyd

srvbluezz likes this.

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    there were some real concern during the Law suit era , because the Ibanez were that good a copy, I have a 6 page email posted by rickenbacker about the Ibanez 4001 copies, covering how to tell an Ibanes Fake from the real thing, with details that Ibanez used scarf jointed necks (who cares if plays great, sounds great and intonates) the string holes on the Ibanez bridge are round, rickies are oval (say what?) and if you pull the pick guard off the Ricky the body cavity was routed with a drill bit , not carved or CNC'd as in the IBANEZ and in all fairness at the end of this posting I have, Rickenbacker states the Ibanez copies were really well made.

awasson, savofenno and bftfender like this.

9. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I've owned several Ibanez throughout the years. I do miss the RGs I had back in the 90s great guitars. I've liked each one I've owned, but these two I just can't part with. LOVE THEM!

That Jem (even though some people balk at the idea of an Indonesian-made guitar) is one heck of a guitar. It did need a proper setup and pickup adjustment when I got it, but it is the easiest playing guitar out of the lot I own. It sounds great, and it is just effortless to play. On some songs where I'm struggling to get it dialed in 100%... it seems like most time I can swap over to the Jem and it just makes all the difference in the world and gets me there. Love that guitar. And yes, I find myself picking it up more often than my Les Paul or PRS. Great guitar!

IMG_9519.jpg IMG_9520.jpg

10. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    just read all about the lawsuit era Ibby's today..they really did make good guitars..my band mates had many of them and looks like they really found there market with the superstrat...everyone i ever played is so easy to handle..sorta like your hand jusst fall onto them and all the sudden you can pull off pinch harmonics and super fast runs so much easier,,,

24 track likes this.

11. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    cool man..i saw one of those for sale the other day..how are the pups on it?..i am looking for hot but not obscenely hot

viccortes285 likes this.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Two Ibanez I covet: Scofield and Metheny PM100 signature models.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gibson, RoCkstAr256, stnmtthw and 8 others like this.

13. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I really like the Gravity Storm pickups in it. I prefer them to the Evolutions found in other Jems. It might be perfect for you if you are not looking for "obscenely hot". They are hot and drive well, but they are toned down, fatter, more mid-range heavy than EVOs which can become a little piercing as you work your way up the neck. And when not driven, they can get a very nice, mellow, clean strat-like tone when they are split in the 2nd and 4th positions. Very versatile.

14. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I had a three pickup Les Paul knockoff back in about 79 that was one of the best guitars I've ever played. I was too new to know what I had at that point - I guess I thought all guitars played that well. But it was astoundingly good. Then last September or October I was looking for something to keep my strat company and I was just messing around with a bunch of guitars in Guitar Center and I picked up one of their cheap semi-hollows and was just gobsmacked by how well it played. Brough one home and loved it and then upgraded it a couple of times and now my humbucker guitar is a Scofield semi-hollow that plays as well as any guitar I've owned. Great neck, wonderful ebony fretboard - the thing just plays like butter. Sounds great too and fit and finish on this Chinese guitar are right up there with the best I've seen. It's close to as perfect as a core PRS I had for a while. I've played a few over the years I was somewhat less impressed with, but I Ibanez knows how to make incredible guitars and it's just a matter of finding the one that's right for you. I've never played any of their shredder models - I'm not a shredder, but I'd guess they'd do that really well.

-Ray

bftfender likes this.

15. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    thanks for that description. Am in the process of selecting next guitar and just don't know much about ibby pups.. do know they have surprised me, i tend to think metal but they do rock and cleans and jazz so well

16. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA

17. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Did Rickenbackers have issues with the headstocks snapping off like Gibsons? If that was the case the Scarf joint on the Ibanez would be an improvement!

24 track likes this.

18. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    First good electric I had was an Ibanez LP copy back in the '70s. It was a great guitar. Unfortunately, it's long gone. I've picked up several Gibson LPs over the years and I have to say that that the lawsuit Ibanez more than held its own. Of course, it could be nostalgia and whatnot...

Tonetele, 24 track and bftfender like this.

19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    negative, but whats really wierd is the design of the ricky necks were built to have a zero relief, a dead straight neck, how strange is that

ever notice how mant law suit specials there are for sale? almost none, i wonder why?

bftfender likes this.

20. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a 1978 Ibanez PF300 (in my avatar), and it's the best guitar I ever played. For me. There's a lot of subjectivity that goes into this stuff, even if you do manage to evade "brand lustre."

Having made that disclaimer, I also had a Musician which was a very well made guitar. I have an ATK-300 bass, which is a very well made and versatile instrument. And a MASA series FX72 acoustic/electric, which is not a very good acoustic guitar, but which is a great stage guitar plugged in.

I also had an SZ520, which, while it was certainly a well-enough made guitar, was not the guitar for me. There's where that subjective stuff comes in again.

But yes, in short, Ibanez guitars really are that good. They have models that are the equal of any, and superior to many. With modern (i.e. automated) milling and building techniques, you have to go out of your way to make a bad guitar, but Ibanez remains among the upper echelon of builders.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.