are all RATs built this bad??

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by joeford, Apr 18, 2019.

1. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i recently purchased an all-white ikebe proco rat... and was pretty disappointed when it arrived. the labeling was on a piece of plastic poorly adhered to the enclosure... kinda like one big sticker. it was bubbled up in places and pulling away from the metal. i immediately asked for a refund because eventually, that whole sticker is likely to pull away...

while looking around for a replacement, i noticed that this labeling seems to be common to all the RAT 2 models. is that right? that seems so cheap to me. i get that it might help cover the strange triangle LED... but it's a deal breaker for me to think that the graphics will just flake off instead of wearing naturally over time. 20190417_141324.jpg Capture+_2019-04-18-10-44-29-1.png

2. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yes, that's how my Rat was made. Made for great times drilling the enclosure for switches and LED's. Other that the jakey label, it's built fine (well... aside from the very cheap pots).

3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know anything about the White Rats, but I guess we can clearly see that they aren't painted white. That said, Rats aren't meant to be pretty. Literally, it is called a Rat. Yank off the sticker and let it rust away.

[​IMG]

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like the finish on the newer Rats is somewhat...cheesy.
    o_O

GoldieLocks and dogmeat like this.
  5. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

yeah... that's how i expect an old rat to look! but with the way they're printed now, all the labeling will just sorta peel off in one big sheet...

6. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i bet! after seeing this issue on that white rat, I've started noticing it on all the RAT 2 models... with the label twisting around the footswitch and peeling away from the edges. seems like such a dumb way to do the graphics...

i ordered an older big box rat as a replacement... looks like they did regular screen printed logos on that one

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I buy a new one every six months for this every reason. They sound worse when the finish is compromised.

8. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

haw haw..... cheesy..... get it?

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  9. Post-HK

Post-HK Tele-Meister

To be fair, they have been using a sticker overlay since the late 80s on all Rat 2 pedals. Though that label does look like it was applied poorly.

10. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Is there a black Rat pedal under there? Bonus!

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

20190418_161958.jpg

This one came with a free OD250 built right in! (Chicago Stompworks)

kevsonic likes this.
  12. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

that's the kinda answer i was looking for. after doing a quick search, looked like every rat with an LED had something like that. I'm really surprised that nobody has complained about it before... seems like such a shoddy way of labeling... especially from a well established pedal company

13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Well, not all of them. Many of them are 40 years old and still working just fine. Hell, even the re-issues are as old now as the classics were when they reintroduced them.
    image.jpg

The current Rat2 has very cheap pots in place of the old Burns style and they are a bit less dynamic, harmonically complex and versatile. Rizzy, did I say rizzy?

If that plastic overlay is bugging you, peel it completely off, clean the adhesive off and reapply it with some hella contact cement. Still one of the coolest looking Rats I've seen!

Better yet, buy a Mr. Vermin and rehouse it in that "Lab Rat" case;) Well, after you fix the overlay!!

I will send you my black Rat 2 case if the overlay is bugging you!

14. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

15. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

fwiw it is just a triangle window for the LED with a bunch of bleed through ... I would always break out the electrical tape to properly mask off the triangle to focus the toanz properly

RetroTeleRod and MilwMark like this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That label majorly sux for all those under water giggzzzz, brah.

17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

I had a Rat 2 in my mid-late 90s rig...carried it and a few other pedals and all my cables clunking around loose in my backpack. The Rat held up well...no sticker overlay issues. That was a well housed, well conceived device in my book.

4pickupguy and MilwMark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.