Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

April Backing Tracks

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Mar 31, 2015.

1. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    You guys are putting me to shame yet again. I pretty much know what I want to do for track #4 but now sure if I'm going to get the time to do it. We've got a couple of visitors staying with us from tomorrow until about Thursday. Anyway...

2. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Mike, nice track you did there. Bringing in three different guitar sounds makes it rich in variety. I like the first one best. By the way, how did you make that sound spread? I did the following: double the guitar track, pan hard to left / right, leading it to a subtle room reverb (impunse response of a real room). Then eq both channels with a highpass resp lowpass, so that both channels feature differnt frequencies of the guitar. Last no least give one track a delay of 20 milliseconds.

I use the Cabronita not too often, that´s right. I´m not sure if I will keep that guitar or sell it. As stated earlier, the 2014 with the Twisted Telly and the Broadcaster pus became my main guitar.

3. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Thanks Ullrich! I use Audacity, it has a split stereo track option where I can adjust each channel individually and pan all the tracks in a staggered formation to fill in the l/r channels . I did all the tracks this way and also can move the channels the individually in that track a milliseconds delay, which I did on this one too.

4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    You really nailed this one. Your introduction was wonderful. Very nice.

5. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany

6. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I liked the cleanish tone you used first as well. I switched to Audacity recently as well. It's nice program.

7. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany

8. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Thanks Ullrich.

9. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Sweet track Mark and I totally enjoy it.The lead section was very good and the vocal section was a great idea.Well done Mark

Audacity is a nice little program very easy to use and it works for my needs.

10. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Maryland
    Track #4
    Ullrich – Very Nice! Well thought Love the two guitars working together.
    Mike – I like what you did there but guitars too far back. Would have liked to hear more of them.
    Mark – Nice job! Some nice lines throughout.

11. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Maryland
    Thank You Mark. I am really digging the R8.

12. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Do your visitors play Phil?Maybe a collaboration in the works for track 4 :lol:

13. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    One our members wanted stay anonymous but it's time to thank Shane B for making track 1, it was a challenging but well made track , thanks Shane!

14. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Cool. Thanks Shane it was fun.

15. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    Here's my take on the hard rock track for April.

https://soundcloud.com/shane_bb/hard-rock-instrumental

I shortened it quite a bit. This is a single take, but I practiced it a lot before I even bothered recording. I ended up having to put a ton of markers in the song in Studio One and label them with the chord changes because I was struggling with it. Took me a while, but it helped a lot.

This is my 1984(?) MIJ Strat w/EMG 85 Pickups --> DI in to my soundcard --> Studio One with Guitar Rig's Guitar Hero preset. I edited the preset to remove the reverb.

I haven't had a chance to listen to anyones tracks yet, I'll try to get to it this afternoon. I struggled with this one, I'm curious to see what everyone else came up with.

Thanks,

Shane

16. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Shane, good to hear from you again! I think I will never understand how one can play nearly 4 minutes and doesn´t make any mistake, not even a sloppy timing?! Well, everybody has it´s own burden :). I have few time right now, so I can´t listen more than this one time and do into detail, but one thing is clear: you really rock it. Oh yes, like you opening!

17. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Very good track Shane!Well you opened nicely and like Ullrich mentioned , you really rock it.

18. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Shane – nice editing job! You really got into the hard rock thing. I could hear your headband and/or spandex!

19. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    Thanks Ullrich. I've been around, I just don't post much anymore. Nothing to say really. I struggled with this song until I wrote out the chord changes. I'm certain everyone here in this thread could do 4 minutes like that if they had the free time to put in to like I do right now. It's fun but I wish I was working and didn't have so much free time to be honest.

Thanks!

Thanks. Spandex is not my friend. Ha! As for the editing, there really wasn't much to do to be honest. I did fade it out and I had to use a multiband compressor on the track to tame the peaks and the RMS, but the lead is all one take. It's actually take 2 of 2, but I practiced it a long time and eventually had to write out the chords. There's a little Johnny B. Goode in there, some Freebird, some basic scale runs.

I do have to admit I had a very hard time getting used to playing my Strat again. I've been playing my Sheraton II exclusively for quite a while now and for the first time ever my Strat didn't feel right in my hands.

After listening to it on my laptop, I wish I would have raised the level of the lead a bit, but it is what it is. I spent way too much time on it to be honest. But it was fun.

I haven't had a chance to listen to any of the other versions. I was outside all day today trimming trees and mowing. I'll pop in tomorrow and check them all out.

Thanks,

Shane

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.