Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Apple/Mac experts: laptop issue after small drop

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by backporchmusic, Oct 5, 2017.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    My wife dropped her Macbook Pro from about 12 inches above the ground. It struck the corner of the unit, no visible damage anywhere.

But now, it won't boot up. It loads the grey screen with the darker grey Apple icon, and a bar measuring boot-up progress shows. But the bar only goes up halfway, then sticks. It will say that way for hours.

Is there anything I can do? Some sort of button press or reset?

If the answer is 'take it to tech, there's nothing you can do' then I'm pulling the hard drive and walking away. Its a 2010 (?) and has been getting more and more sluggish (as their products tend to do). That grey screen boot-up has been slower and slower of late. Time for a replacement anyway.

It seems Apple pushes out updates and eventually, your product can no longer handle them, forcing an upgrade to the newer units.

PS, I'm a PC guy, so my Apple knowledge is very limited, but I can get around in a PC architecture OK.

2. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Did you open it up and look at the motherboard? Any damage there and you're pretty much hosed. I'm far from an expert much less someone who even likes computers (they all suck but for what I need Apple is the most stable). Moving on.. maybe try a safe boot, I can't remember the key combo for it but it shouldn't be hard to find online. There are a few benefits and things you can do from a safe boot, I forget what they are, but it could be a start.

Google your issue and see what the apple forums say too, they'll be a better resource than a bunch of people who pluck steel strings bolted to a piece of wood!

3. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    Sounds like you might have damaged the Hard Drive, assuming it's an older mechanical HD and not one of the newer solid state HDs. If so, it can be replaced though you'll loose everything on it unless you've got a good backup somewhere.

Apple computers are difficult to open but once open easy to change the HD. And, Mac will self-install the operating system once you put in a new HD. If this is the issue it would be good to get a new SSD HD. MUCH better than the older spinning disc HD.

Take it to an Apple store and see what the tech's there say. You put USA in your location but it seems you're in Staunton, Virgina. Here's the address for a Mac retailer in Charlottesville: Simply Mac Apple Premier Partner - 1111 Emmet St N, Charlottesville, VA 22903

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.