Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Applause/Ovation neck help

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by TeleDrifter, Apr 21, 2008.

1. TeleDrifter

TeleDrifter Tele-Afflicted

Oct 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Hello Folks.....Got this Applause at a local Goodwill. It great shape except this model doesn't have a truss-rod. It's got two metal bars that run the lenght of the neck on both sides. It's over bowed and difficult to tune. Any way to fix this???? Only way I can think of is to have a guitar-tech steam the neck off and shave heel of the neck to bring down the bow....Any ideas??? Thanks.

Cheers...........Teledrifter

2. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    Bizarre that an aluminum neck could become bowed from string tension. I'd repost your question at ovationfanclub.com

Applause were the budget line Ovations (their 'Squier'). I had one with a bad neck too. I got rid of it, bought a US Ovation Legend and never looked back.

I wouldn't invest too much time and effort into it if I were you. Maybe use it for slide guitar/open tunings?

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
  4. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    If the neck is actually bowed, a reset won't fix it. There are various techniques to straighten a bowed neck. Heating with steam until the glue softens, then putting it in a jig to straighten it is one method.

Oster's right, it's probably more money to repair than it's worth.

5. TeleDrifter

Oct 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Thanks for the replies...Hadn't had it out for awhile so I tuned it tonight. Not bowed as bad as I recalled but the problem is that when tuned properly the b-string is flat compared to the g-string on the fourth fret and the Hi e-string is flat compared to the b-string freted at the 5th fret. Maybe it's not that big a deal, just annoying. Maybe the neck is slightly warped or twisted but maybe not I play it some more and see if it's a problem. For$35.00 how bad can it be....Thanks............Cheers............................Teledrifter

6. TeleDrifter

Oct 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    On further( and better ) assessment nothing wrong with the neck really but all the fretted notes at the 12th fret are sharp of the harmonics at the 12th fret. The only fix I see is steaming off the bridge and reglueing. I've got the StewMac clamp for the reglue but steaming it off will be new for me. I'll check the Ovation site.....Thanks again......Cheers.......

Teledrifter

7. KokoTele

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    How sharp are the fretted notes? Does this neck have an adjustable truss rod in addition to the aluminum rods?

Honestly, moving the bridge will probably not fix the problem. It might alleviate it at the 12th fret, but the other frets will still be off.

8. TeleDrifter

Oct 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    No Truss-Rod. Bummer. I'm very sure I over stated the bow in the neck, actually it's OK. It's just the tuning is off as I stated. I would think moving the bridge would be the same as adjusting the saddles on an electric or moving the bridge of an Arch Top to get the proper intonation. Maybe I'm wrong but I'll keep listening to the good advice I get here before I get into this..........................................thanks again.........Cheers...

9. TeleDrifter

Oct 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    eryque...The notes are fairly sharp at the 5th fret and it makes some chords sound sour to say the least....

I'm from down the road in Syracuse and got a sis living in Selkirk....Are you ready for summer????????? I'm not...........Cheers

10. KokoTele

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    You are right that moving the bridge would be similar to adjusting the position of the saddles on a Tele to set the intonation, but in order to set the intonation you first need to set the relief and the action.

If the neck is bowed too much, the frets are far enough away from the position they should be that the notes will be off. If the action is too high, you have to stretch the strings too much and that will throw off the intonation too.

When I first started doing my own setups I used to make that mistake all the time. Get the neck right first, then the saddles.

THere are other ways to move the saddle back that aren't as drastic as moving the bridge. You can get a slightly thinner saddle and angle it back towards the bridge pins. I don't think I'd do anything more invasive than that. It'll wind up being expensive and won't work.

11. TeleDrifter

Oct 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Can't adjust the neck. No truss rod..... the action is OK, so I think the saddle adjustment you suggested might be my first try and then more invasive if I have to........Wish me luck...............Cheers.....

12. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2006
    Bloomfield, Connecticut
    I have one of those. I use it for playing outdoors in the rain and if I forget to bring a paddle for my canoe.

:D

13. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    steaming the bridge off might be more difficult than it sounds. That sound board is going to be a lot more sensitive to heat, steam, and warpage. I wouldn't want to apply steam to that bad boy.

14. TeleDrifter

Oct 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Still looking into it. Maybe I can get it off without steam or heat. Back and forth with dental floss and slowly work away the glue. possibly. hate to crack the bridge...This will require some patients...........

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.