Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by chemobrain, Jun 18, 2017 at 3:20 PM.

1. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    The
    Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter waves
    is working very well with my DAW, I am using Reason which now will accept VSTI's
    This handi-dandy virtual hunk'o junk is the hizzy, the bomb, ha-cha, the archbishop of cool.
    don't take my word for it, down load the demo and see for yourself.
    so easy, so tasty even my dyslexia likes it. Waves gotta lotta hot press when it was released, now it is on sale and it cheaper than an evening in the local watering hole.

2. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
  3. InstituteOfNoise

InstituteOfNoise Tele-Holic

Jan 12, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yep it works great on Keyboard based VI's bringing some life back in to them. For $29 it's a deal!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Where are you seeing it for $29? MF has it on sale today for $59 which is still a good drop in price, but $29 is better. Lol

6. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    I have one, sitting in my hardware rack.
    I wonder if the software version sounds worse or same (better? no way!).

Just be cautious when use it, it's easy to overdo, and it's tempting to apply it on everything.
    For restoration, it's a Godsent.

7. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    I had one in my House FX racks years ago. A little goes a LOOOONG way.:cool:

Felino likes this.
  8. InstituteOfNoise

InstituteOfNoise Tele-Holic

Jan 12, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    They we're having one of their super low sales last week. You just have to keep an eye out for these sales and you can pick them up at stupid prices. I picked up the LA3A which I think is one the best versions out there right now for $39 and then the Aphex Exciter cost me $21. They discount each subsequent plugin when more than one.

I just checked now and see it's back up to $299 for the Aphex. Drag...
    LA3A is still $39 though.

9. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    When these were first released they used to get album credits... Think about it - hardware, getting album credits!

The trick is to use them the way the top engineers used them. On an FX send, not as an insert. Insert it on a dedicated FX track and set it to AX mode. Just add a small amount to things you want to add life to... pads, acoustics, BG Vocals, etc... etc... It's magical in small doses, very tiring in large amounts.

10. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    Aphex exciter owners charged few hundred dollars per minute of material passed through (when mastering) back then. Luckily, that exciter madness has passed.

paratus likes this.
  11. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I used the Aphex hardware occasionally (when the client would pay for it) in the studio back in the 80s, and I've had a chance to hear the Waves plugin. My opinion of the plugin is the same as my opinion of the original hardware. It sounds OK on things that are metallic to begin with, like strings, acoustic guitars, brass. But it makes other stuff, like vocals, sound mettallic and brittle. I don't like it that much, and greatly prefer the BBE Harmonic Maximizer, which when used sparingly, doesn't give vocals that metallic sound.

paratus likes this.
  12. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    I'm a fan of the BBE products.

A gentle touch of Sonic Maximizer is all a mix might need.

Remember, BBE is originally a transducer manufacturer.
    They had some pretty decent guitar pickups back then too.

Don't they own G&L guitars now?

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.