Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anything I can do about this join line?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by kohoutec, Apr 13, 2018.

1. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2008
    Exeter, UK
    I've just started a 72 deluxe build. 2nd time finishing a body with tru oil and first time I've attempted to dye the wood first. Using a water based aniline dye. It looks very dark in the photo but it's more of a kind of dark walnut. I've raised the grain twice, and will probably give this a very light going over again with a fine scotch brite pad before starting the tru oil. It may get another coat of dye depending on how it looks in the morning.

The first join line is my concern is very noticeable and the scratchplate will only cover some of it. I'm guessing there's not much I can do but interested in any tips you clever people might have?
    Quite excited about it either way, it's getting p90s and an outrageous flamed maple neck I picked up for next for nothing on Facebook marketplace.

IMG_20180413_195957.jpg FB_IMG_1523128572788.jpg IMG_20180407_190124.jpg

2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    At this point with the color on the seam is difficult to deal with.
    Before you go TO . . .I would seal it with a few light coats of shellac (rattle can spray) The reason for this is that you could end up lifting the color when you apply the TO and that color will go into the TO and then spread unevenly.
    After the shellac, check the seam, if it's still obvious to the touch I would put CA or thinned epoxy over the seams. Apply another layer of shellac and then level.

3. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny
  4. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    The joint line gives it some character

5. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2008
    Exeter, UK
    It's not turning out to bad after that. At work so can't post a photo, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Got a fair few coats of Tru Oil to go, but it's getting there

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    IMHO, the body is an excellent candidate for a solid color finish. Sharp looking neck there!!

Flakey and RodeoTex like this.
  7. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2008
    Exeter, UK
    Here's a mock-up, it's looking fine I think IMG_20180419_113355_1.jpg

Wally and bcarter_1 like this.
  8. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.