Anyone watching the Grand Sumo tournament on NHK?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by toomuchfun, Mar 18, 2019.

1. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

NHK shows highlights from a Grand Sumo tournament every other month. I think it's day 9 of 15 today. In around 25 minutes they show a bunch of matches and after that they have a couple minute segment, Sumopedia that explains aspects of the sport.

In the Eastern time zone it's shown at 12:30 pm and 6:30 pm.

Fascinating to see big men run into each other, on one of the Sumopedia segments they recorded 13 G's with the initial hit. But for big men they show dexterity I only wish I had. And the slow motion they show after each bout is one of those things that might make you cringe but hard to stop watching. It's going to be part of the 2020 Olympics.

2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

No, but it's kinda like a Grand Sumo tournament every time I go shopping at Walmart.

OlRedNeckHippy, LocoTex and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Man, my wife and I went to Wally mart the other day, as my wife an I were getting to the car, I turned around as a woman was strapping her kid in a car seat. When she bent over she set the world record for exposed butt crack! My wife was looking at the expression on my face and cracked up laughing.

LocoTex likes this.
  4. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

The horror.....the horror....

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I used to watch it when I first moved here, but haven't really followed it for a decade. Couldn't even tell ya who's yokozuna nowadays.

I've played basketball a couple times with sumo wrestlers; one of the Wednesday night hoops regulars at our gym has a place where some wrestlers stay and train around the time of the Osaka tournament, and sometimes he'd bring some of the young guys around. One was actually pretty good! They couldn't run the court though. And talk about hard fouls... :eek:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I became a big sumo fan while living in Japan. I am watching each day of each tournament, or at least the highlights, that is.

I was always a fan of Chiyonofuji, from way before he became a grand champion, back when he was a little skinny guy at the bottom of the makunouchi rankings. One of the all time greatest.

I was quite upset when Chiyonokuni (from Chiyonofuji’s stable) was doing great in the just past January tournament and suffered a terrible leg injury. Skipped watching the rest of that basho because of that.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Can’t believe I missed it!

8. Ledjunkie

Ledjunkie TDPRI Member

I have been watching it. The wrestlers from Osaka is 9-0.

9. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

I'm still learning my way through things, but it's been fun to follow. The first full tournament I saw Mitakeumi win and I've been rooting for him. It hasn't helped, he's having a tough time.

I really get a chuckle out of Takayasu, he strikes me as a hairy backed tough guy. And he's doing great this time. I love it when he does his stomp and grunts and the crowd grunts along with him.

I like when there is an upset and the crowd throws the pillow seats. I also like the interviews, they all seem like such gentle giants.

Looks like Hakuho is in charge at the moment, I'm anxious to see if it stays that way.

nvilletele likes this.
  10. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Hey, no spoilers please. I am still a few days behind in catching up with my recordings of this month's tournament.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.