Anyone using an aby pedal to run 2 amps simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 13, 2019.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I use the Radial Big Shot. The 180 and lift switches are great for when two amps are not in phase with each other.

There about $50 used.

[​IMG]
    Playing with a sparkling clean amp behind a dirty amp sounds gigantic. It’s a lot of fun if you’ve never tried it.

Huuuuuge!

eddy b. likes this.
  2. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

What about playing both dirty but different dirty. If you know what i mean. And say one with chorus and one with a touch of wah.

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

This is so true.

rze99 likes this.
  4. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It can be done. It just depends on where you put the switcher in the signal chain.

5. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I've done it a lot over the years. I like to take two totally different amps and play them at the same time. A big crunch amp with a huge clean is a lot of fun to play.

That said, I don't do it all that often, and I actually find it kind of limiting to play like that. It's sort of a special effect.

As to devices to accomplish this, usually I just used a Y-cord. At one time I had a little junction box that I made to do the same thing. I think at some point I must have used some kind of stereo pedal with the effect off. Maybe a chorus or something. I suppose the right way would be to use some kind of buffer. You can buy all kinds of stuff these days. I just did it using whatever was at hand.

rze99 likes this.
  6. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Old age set in overnight at the ripe age of 34 and now I'm too lazy to lug two amps around so my Radial ABY goes untouched these days. I sometimes use it at home just messing around with sounds but for playing live, easier has won and one amp is more than enough sound anyway.

7. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

You may own a cheap AY pedal aready!

The Boss pedal format tuners have two outputs, one which mutes the signal when the tuner is engaged and one that bypasses the mute function.

Plug the input of the amp you want on all the time into your BYPASS and engage the tuner. Plug the input of the amp you want to switch in the OUTPUT. Disengage the tuner when you want to run both amps.

kafka likes this.
  8. meric

meric Tele-Holic

I use the Radial BIGSHOT with DRRI and a Peavey Bandit. Endless variations. I really like the Peavey dirty and the Fender clean and sparkly...what a glorious sound. I love the versatility and the sound but I have never dragged both amps out to play...too much work and most likely not enough of a difference in a band setting to justify the extra work.

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

It's worth it. I haven't gigged using just a single amp for about 20 years. That said, much of that was as the only guitarist in the band where you really notice it filling out the sonic spectrum. It also helps stage spread and singer's pitching.

10. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

Whirlwind AB Selector works good for two amp set up

11. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

I use the Radial aby box with ground lift and polarity switches and all that goodness. I use a Deluxe Reverb clean and A Blues Jr. Tweed III and yes it is awesome and worth the extra effort.

12. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

I play through two amps - 1964 PR and 1978 DR - simultaneously. I use a Voodoo Labs Amp Selector and it works great. No noise, no hum. Have been using this rig without issues for several years. The Amp Selector is part of my pedalboard, last component before the amps. I also use the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power units.

Ciao,
    Rick

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I just do it with my stereo effects pedal. I'm running a Peavey Backstage Plus and a '52 Silvertone "Champ" type amp with an 8" speaker and a single volume knob. I don't seem to be getting any noise.

I used to run a DR with an AC-15 using a Roland Space Echo to split the signal. If I still had the DR, I'd still do it.

14. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I do it all the time. In fact, right now I have a four amp setup.
    • AC30 and a traynor YBA1a in stereo for dirt
    • Bassman 100 for clean with chorus and delay
    • Blackface bassman driving a Leslie 16.
    I have morley a/b/y and an A/b pedal I built.

With this rig I can get:
    • The stereo dirt rig alone
    • The Leslie alone
    • The clean rig alone
    • The dirt rig with the Leslie
    • The clean rig with the Leslie
    8D49F933-9885-466B-A404-B56450821224.jpeg

15. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Meister

A friend of mine, Neil, the singer/guitarist in the charmingly named 'Bastardface', does this with 2 Marshall 100 watters & 2 4x12's...at bar gigs!!!
    Uses one amp & kicks in 2nd when needed, or uses both...just because he can.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.