Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone using a WGS Reaper 30?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chunkocaster, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I got a deal online on a ex showroom 8ohm WGS reaper 30 and I'm interested to hear from those who own one or have spent some time using them and what amps you are using them with. The sites description seems to infer they are basically a g12h30 copy but it seems that some disagree. I bought this to try in a blues junior.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2013
    Quebec
    I have one in my Traynor YGM2. good speaker with a tight Celestion type tone... Definitely a rock amp.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Cool, how do you think it will go in a blues junior? Is it the type to help open it up a little and make it sound bigger? The amp is a little boxy sounding atm. I was after a good speaker for rock and the description referencing the g12h sold me on it. I had to grab it for the price without doing any research on it. It won't be here until next week hence my interest in opinions of it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  4. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2013
    Quebec
    It should beef up a Junior and tighten up the bottom end. Both the Junior and YGM2 run EL84s, although the ygm has a bigger cab.. Though I would think the Reaper would take some of the typical boxiness out of the Junior's tone.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Great, that sounds encouraging. I'm planning to cut a 4x12 down to make a 2x12 to solve the problem. Will still do that but it would be nice to be able to just grab and go with the 1x12 combo and have it sound decent with a favourite drive pedal.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    flyswatter likes this.
  6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have a Reaper HP in my Dr Z Z28 and I love it. GREAT speaker!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. vonasemj

vonasemj Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Denver, CO
    I have one along with a green beret in a 2061 style 2x12 cab to go with my Marshall class 5 head. It sound terrific. Not sure how it actually compares to a g12h30, but I don’t see any reason to find out.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    It sounds like this could be a great speaker in the blues junior if it's working well in your small combo. I hadn't considered buying one until I spotted the good price on this one while browsing ebay. It's unlike me to buy before doing research but maybe this time it will work out to my advantage. I've also got a class 5 head. Looking forward to trying this out with both of them.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.