Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone use the Kotzen pickup combo, twang king / chopper t ?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by admsx, Sep 5, 2017.

1. admsx

admsx TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2017
    NJ
    As the title states. I've heard some clips on youtube where this combo sounds great.. but some clips the twang king sounds overly bright. The chopper T always sounds great, albeit not really a vintage tele stype pup. I just bought a CVC and while the stock pups sound great. I know I will be replacing them.. and the twang king / chopper T combo seems like a good match economically speaking for this guitar.

2. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    I have a Kotzen and tested it out with its stock pickups.

I quite like the Twang King neck - it reminds me very much of the Twisted Tele (which thus far is my favorite 'stock' model pickup Fender has put into a Tele neck pickup that I've spent time with to date) - so, if you like the leaning-toward-Strat type neck pickup sound, you won't be disappointed.
    The bridge Chopper T is pretty hotted-up - I didn't do the experiment, but I would've liked to have gotten around to trying a switchable mod (maybe right on the super 5-way I put in there) to put the Chopper T coils into parallel with each other... bring down the output, emphasize the upper end of the sound spectrum delivered by that particular pickup.
    It's a lot of girth from that form-factor.

If you prefer an articulate but more 'standard' type of Tele neck position sound, consider the Area T neck - stacked coil humbucking, still looks traditional, available in different cover finishes (I had a black one in my Kotzen for a while) - sounds quite nice...
    It would pair similarly with the Chopper T, though not as bright in that Strat type pickup way, and you extend the noiseless aspect to the neck as well.

(I wound up with Barden Modern T pickups in my Kotzen, with some fun wiring trickery.)

3. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

I have several guitars with a Chopper T in the bridge. But I have paired them all with a Dimarzio Satch Track. Best combo ever if you ask me! And if it's good enough for Joe Satriani...

4. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

Here's a demo I did for the Victory V40, using one of my tele's with the above mentioned pickup combination.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.