Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone use a neck from this company?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bullfrogblues, Oct 8, 2018.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Never heard of them. I'd show a side view myself and mention if there's a peghead angle where appropriate. Funny they are trying to poo poo a scarf joint which is still solid wood when you're all set and done with it.

2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    to be fair, you could take the neck in that listing and hit a prowler with it and then put it back on the guitar. A scarf joint is strong enough for what it is, but it's more likely to be damaged than a laminated neck.

Every time I see laminated, jerry garcia comes to mind, though. laminated offers builders the chance to use wood that's not as perfect as a bigger and less common straight neck blank would be. But it's definitely functional.

Of all of the things out there, Fender's necks don't need scarf nor lamination, though, unless you're just trying to save costs. Sort of strange that the seller would boast about the guitar not having a scarf joint - how many fender style guitars do?

Otherwise, looks like a nice neck, it's $110 (which is cheaper than most of us would work for) and it has wenge if you like that kind of thing.

3. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Just looking at their return policy, I think I'll pass.
    If I don't like the neck, I pay return shipping, then a 15% restocking fee, and probably eat the original shipping which will probably come out to 1/2 the original price.
    I think I'll pass.
    Thanks for the input.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I do not like the look of the 5 piece laminated neck.

guitarbuilder likes this.
  5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    I don't really like the way the stripes on the headstock look either, and I'm guessing they are import necks too. But for the price, and with stainless steel frets I would totally try one out and paint the headstock. I think laminated necks are going to be fairly resistant to weather changes. These same guys have been selling stuff on ebay too for a while I think. They have bodies, kind of cool body blanks and templates all for cheap too.

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    the shape of the heel and headstock suggests that it's one of those Asian imports of marginal grade.... for not much more you can have an AllPArts neck which may require the same level of sanding, but are way more accurate in their appearance and of sufficient quality to produce an excellent guitar.

rk

rich815 likes this.
  7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
  8. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Yeah, there must be a reason why all those pedals are distortion or distortion related.

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Don't like the look of them and never heard of them. I, and friends, have been using Mighty Mite necks since the late 70s. Never had any problems. They are also Licensed by Fender and you can buy 21 or 22 fret neck types as well as some differing versions of shape/thickness etc.See Mighty Mite,com
    ( No commercial affiliations, just a satisfied customer)

10. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Those look awful IMHO. They do say made in the USA but I doubt it..

11. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Don't they claim the necks are made in the USA? Wood sourced and milled in Minnesota?
    I've had a couple Might Mite necks that were usable, most recently on the strat I put together and installed stainless frets on it. The profile is a little thin for my likes. I also have several AllParts necks that are top notch necks. And have used necks by Warmoth and USACG.
    I've also made some of my own necks, but so far I don't have that part of building down pat.

12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'm guessing it's a small cnc operation located here in the US.

13. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Ditto. A guy milling purpleheart and maple and laminating necks together with a small CNC operation could do that quite profitably. Not like millionaire profitability, but he can probably make 75 bucks on each neck after paying his variable costs.

If necks are much more expensive than that anywhere, it's because they're supporting a lot of overhead - or *maybe* have expensive materials in them. AS in, if fender is selling a guitar neck for $500-$600, it's not because the cost to make it is anywhere close to that. It's a combination of it covering overhead and servicing debt, and protecting the original price of the guitar (so that you can't find a $1200 guitar, and then just order fender parts for $700 instead and put the guitar together yourself).

I could literally cut and finish two to three necks per day (including separate fingerboard and fretting) without power tools.

14. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I don't know if this is any indication of the company's capabilities, but they also sell pedals. But only distortion pedals. I am no electronics expert, but a distortion circuit is probably the easiest and cheapest to fit in a box with a couple of pots and a switch. That is as opposed to a delay, reverb, pitch shift, etc. or the like type of effect.

15. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Yeah, but they are also probably the most popular/ easiest to sell...

16. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I'd bet that's true. Can't really fault the guy on the price of the pedals, given the cacophony of good sounding chinese mini-pedals floating around.

17. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I just looked through the guy's page. He's selling laminated necks with stainless frets pre-installed, and his page says no CNC for the bodies.

the work looks pretty clean. If someone doesn't like the skunk stripes from the laminations, peghead overlays are always an option, and matching paint for a strat type guitar, or match the whole body and neck, scrape the neck and stain the back so that the stripes don't look that prominent.

Good for him doing quality work in the US and making a go of it.

bullfrogblues likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.