Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone use a Holeyboard?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chud, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I started looking for a new pedalboard recently, and have been just sorely disappointed about what is out there and how expensive the danged things are. They all look like the same design for the most part, which is pretty uninspired. I have thought about building my own, getting rid of a bit more of the leftover lumber from my desk build, but I am over building things for a while. I know a pedalboard wouldn't be nearly as crazy as any of my other recent projects, I just don't want to do it again for a while. Lol.

I was poking around CL last night to see what I could get a deal on used, and I ran across something that picqued my interest. Holeyboard. A simple but pleasing the the eye idea that is made by a small shop in MN called Chemistry Design Werks.

Holeyboard+Std+ebonyivory.jpg

They're a bit on the pricy side for what they are, but no more than other comparable units on the market really. I'm not sure how "innovative" the zip tie design is (part of their marketing spiel is how innovative that feature is), but I do like it more than the typical velcro option. Several configurations are available depending on how many pedals you want to run, there are a bunch of color choices, and there is even an adjustable model that looks like it came straight out of my 1970's erector set.

Dragonfly+2.01.jpg

The company has been around for a while and has a nice bit of press and artist following. So last night with a little poker money burning a hole in my pocket, I decided to try one out. I'll post back up after it arrives with pics and a review of my impressions of it in person.

I did a search of the site and didn't turn up any threads where anyone had asked about or tried one of these. If anyone has/had one, please post up your thoughts on it.

2. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I actually saw a board similar to that one with the hole design and the zip ties. I built my own el cheapo board and I wished I had incorporated the holes for the zip ties, the velco I am using just does not see to want to stay put on the pedals. I have one pedal that it hits the battery cover, and every time I pull it out of its case the battery cover stays on the board but the pedal is in the bag.

I really have an idea that I might do some work on adding a metal perforated plate to the top of my board and cutting out the center. Would pretty much serve the same purpose.

3. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I looked at those, but I just couldn't justify the cost to myself.
    But was tired of the whole velcro thing and I knew I didn't want to go down that path, again.

So, I made a simpler version from an old pre-painted plywood shelf that I had laying around.
    Laid out my pedals, drilled holes where the zip-ties went through, and wired it up.

I have 2 like that, now. They're starting to look a little more like the Holey Boards, since I've rearranged both boards a couple times. :cool:

And I do like the zip-tie method MUCH better than velcro.

String Tree likes this.

4. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Yeah, if I hadn't had a nice poker night this weekend I probably would have sat on the edge a bit longer than I did. Now that I think about it, our local Home Goods always has a ton of interesting cutting boards of all shapes and sizes that would be good candidates for a similar DIY build without too much hassle.

Glad to hear that the zip tie method works for you. I have one or two pedals that may not take to zip ties as well (rounded/slanted Danelectros), but that may just be me thinking about it incorrectly.

5. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I got one from the maker, after looking for one on CL for a while. Of course one came up on CL as soon as I ordered mine :mad:

Anyhow, I got the plainest double decker version and I like it. IIRC the one I have is like the second version above - I moved the upper deck over to the left so I would have space for two rocker pedals on the right.

The problem I see with the design is that with the pedals strapped down with zip ties, you cant get as many pedals on the board as you think you might, because the holes dont seem to line up fortuitously once you have the pedals plugged into eachother. (I dont have those flat right angle connectors though - I think they would make things fit a little better.)

The power brick goes under the second story - out of sight - that's nice.

Overall I would buy it again.

BTW: I have wood working tools and I dont think I could have made it cheaper and I already had some birch ply on the woodpile. I typically calculate "build or buy" - by theoretically paying myself $10 an hour (which includes moving things around to set up the garage to do woodworking.) Drilling and finishing all those freaking holes would take quite a while. So I just got the unfinished version and sprayed some clear shellac on it - done. If I was still making gigs I might have popped for a fancier version.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    RodeoTex and Chud like this.

6. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Sometimes you can slide a couple zip ties under the bottom cover instead of going over the top.

Chud likes this.

7. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Got the aluminum double decker, love it
    It is what it is a pedal board.
    Was about to make one out of wood, basically a copy and was telling the girlfriend when am I going to find the time to do a nice one and she said why don't you buy it
    So, here we are
    Emailed them last week wanting to know if a Voodoo lab pedal power 2 did fit under the top deck , they promptly replied yes , so that has been added

Chud likes this.

8. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Had I used that logic on the acoustic panels I built, I would have come out waaaay ahead. Lol.

I have the super flat jumpers so hopefully that won't be an issue here.

That would make for a really clean look if it could be done for all pedals on the board.

Yeah, my wife said the same thing about the acoustic panels, then said the same thing about my idea for a multi guitar rack build. I didn't listen on the panels, but I did listen on the guitar rack and bought a Hercules. Not even starting the conversation about the pedal board. Lol

9. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    pegboard for holding tools etc would work great....my solution...Boss ME80...EZPZ...

brown meadows likes this.

10. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    I made one for fun with holes n'all but I like to swap pedals around a lot and the zip ties are a pain so I went back to Pedaltrain and velcro even though they are always falling off during transport haha!
    They look nice in their fancy finishes but its a board with holes. You could zip tie to a Pedaltrain if you wanted I guess.

11. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Would love to see pics if you have that set up currently. I would worry that the pegboards would be pretty thin and prone to breaking from being stomped on. Did you reinforce yours to keep that from happening? There are also aluminum pegboards that would be cool, but I don't think I want to cut down a 2'x4' piece of aluminum any more than I want to build a pedal board out of my existing lumber stock. Lol.

Yeah, I've almost gone the Pedaltrain route a few times. It's a nice board, but is also just kind of boring and uninspired IMHO. I had an SKB-55 for a while that had great power and routing features and was super rugged, but was just ugly as sin and huge.

This time around I was looking for something a bit more aesthetically pleasing than a lot of what is out there, without me having to break out the power tools and velcro again. Lol.

For context, I got the ebony and ivory M3 board I posted above. I think that will look nice in front of the amps in the new studio. :cool:

IMG_2582.JPG

24 track likes this.

12. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2004
    NEPA USA
    I've got one. It lives in my buddy's basement/band practice space.

They're very well made, and a clever concept, but have some flaws. It's hard to find a way to fasten some pedals due to pedal size/shape and hole placement. I have resisted getting a Fuzz Face because I don't think I could attach it.

I find when I swap out or move pedals, I don't tie them down right away. Right now half my pedals aren't attached. That's my laziness though.

Once they are attached, the pedals stay put, which is nice when you move the whole board. The second level provides a great place to stash a power strip.

Chud likes this.

13. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I made one. I liked the idea, so I made a little one for my practice setup. It fits, a tuner, a double sized multi-effects pedal, looper and power supply. I like the idea and regularslinky summed up my experience pretty well, including the laziness and not having all the pedals tied down. I'd make a bigger one, but I got really tired of drilling holes.

Chud likes this.

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    I think one would have to WORK in order to NOT look good in front of those amps!

~ST

Chud likes this.

15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    As a Semi-pro Rock Idol ( I still ROCK but, mostly I'm IDLE), I use but 5 modest effects and keep them in a Roadrunner Pedal Bag.

I do like how the new stuff looks.
    It looks great.
    Maybe, one of these days ...

Chud likes this.

16. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    I used 1/4" pegboard for my double-decker pedalboard, but I don't use zip ties. I think they look cheesy and don't like the idea of cutting them off and throwing them away if I need to make a change.

What I do is, buy screws that match those that hold the back plates on the pedals, but are longer. Then I replace two of each pedal's backplate screws (diagonal) and screw them down to the pegboard from the back. Boss pedals take a #4 sheet metal screw. MXR and EHX use 6-32 machine screws. Some Asian pedals use a metric screw.

Main board:
    [​IMG]

MXR and similarly-sized pedals line up with the pegboard's holes on 1" centers with no drilling, as do mini-pedals like Mooer. Boss pedals require one hole drilled off-grid; I have a little drilling jig I made to get it in the right place.

Pegboard is a bit soft and needs to be supported. My lower deck is supported by 3/4" wood cleats running full-width at the front and back edges, and in the center by the Pedal Power 2+ that's hidden snugly underneath. My upper deck is supported by six 1/4" bolts with 1" plastic standoffs.

Here's my "other board" for surf music. Since it was purpose-built and doesn't evolve (much) didn't use pegboard, it's half of an old plywood skimboard. All the holes were drilled especially for this batch of pedals, but the screws-through-the-back concept still applies.

[​IMG]

The screws-through-the-back system is the way I've gone for 35 years. No sticky glue, no un-sticky Velcro, and no visible hardware. Clean, reliable, easy to do and undo.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

17. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I've got a Dano Cool Cat Tremolo and a Rat with the slanted top and zip ties work on both.
    I put 2 ties on the Rat - one horizontal and one vertical - and it's not moving anywhere. The Dano is solid with one across it.

Chud likes this.

18. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    I've had one for a few years now and like it. The few faults I have are the same as others mentioned such as not being able to line up holes with the pedal so you can get the tie through. I've also had to connect a couple ties together in order to secure a larger pedal. It can also turn in to a little project if you want to switch something out. I also would've finished mine a bit better (I thought the stain was going to come out lighter). The carrying bag for it is nice but can feel a little awkward sometimes depending how loaded the board is. Overall I think they're minor issues and think it's a quality product. I've even thought of either getting (or building) a smaller version to hold just 3 or 4 pedals. IMG_1300.JPG IMG_1301.JPG

Chud likes this.

19. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Yeah, they do sell just the top deck but for the price difference 119 vs 169 might as well get the double so you can expend, unless money is tight, but then you could make one.
    One thing I like is since I don't have a permanent setup , I move the board around, the handle is really handy for that!

20. Dunnigan

Dunnigan Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2017
    USA
    I was pretty interested in one of those, but ended up building my own. Single level, angled up enough to put power underneath. Just drilled holes where I needed.

Mark II will be wider with a little less depth. I don't like pedals on the back row--I want room for them all on the front.

I like the zip ties method, but when I can put the holes where I want. I think I may try mounting with screws, either from top or back. I've seen folks use the plate from a bike chain to make a little mount plate at the corner of the pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.