Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone up for a 'Thursday morning weight loss club'?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GigsbyBoyUK, Jan 4, 2012.

1. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    178 here.

Fell off the wagon for a little while but trying to get back on.

Started riding my bike to work again.

2. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

I've gone in to negative weight loss the last two weeks. But, I'm back on track with my eating habits and should start dropping a pound a week if all goes well.

3. BadHorsie

BadHorsie Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Texas, USA
    I have note weighed. I am at my 4th Dr apt. In 12 days. They finally figured out that I have a broken bone in my ankle and might have damaged my Achilles' tendon. Waiting now for MRI.

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Dropped another pound, 173.

5. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    Cauliflower. I'm not exaggerating when I say on average I eat 1/2 of a head of cauliflower per day. It's very versatile - everything from simply steaming to mashing like mashed potatoes.

Sometimes the only thing I have for dinner is a whole head of Cauliflower with maybe a stalk of broccoli. Simple recipe, you will get stuffed at about 300 calories: Cut and rinse cauliflower florets and put all the pieces of the cauliflower into a large glass bowl (or microwavable bowl). Add cut up stalk of broccoli if you like - or any other vegetable (zucchini etc). Cover the top of the glass bowl with Saran wrap but leave a tiny opening for steam to escape. Microwave for 10 minutes.

In the meantime in a saucepan mix 1 cup water, 1 tsp chicken powder (Bouillon), 1 tablespoon corn starch. Keep mixing and bring to boil. This will be your gravy for your cauliflower and other vegetables. If I'm having a full head of cauliflower I'll double this batch. I also sprinkle in a liberal amount of Cayenne pepper.

Very important to keep your fingers away from the hot steam when you pull back the plastic wrap from the bowl. The steam can definitely burn your fingers which is never good, but particularly not good for guitar players!

For further seasoning I primarily use Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning "Salt Free" version in the blue can.

One of our fellow members steams cauliflower and has it with salmon.

6. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

Aug 1, 2011
    south carolina
    I've been avoiding this thread ever since it started, but I figure now is as good a time as any to jump in.

A couple of months ago I went to the doctor's office for a "health screening" so I could get lower rates on my health insurance at work.

The nurse took my blood pressure with one of those electronic devices and looked a little shocked. Then she tried another manual cuff and looked even more shocked.

She said "Your blood pressure is 180 over 130. You could have a stroke any minute. Can you come back first thing in the morning?":confused:

So I got to sleep on that little bit of news overnight (and hoping a made it through the night).

The next day the doc put me on lisinopril and told me to monitor my BP daily and report back to him. The medicine got it down to 150/100 so they doubled the dose. It's gotten a little better, but still not where it needs to be.

We just installed a lap pool at home, and I've been swimming daily, which seems to have helped get it down in the 130/90 area.

Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 227

Getting down to 175 would be great but I'm sure at 200 I'd be in much better overall health than I am now.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015

7. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington

Welcome aboard.

I recently went in for a physical, since I got a second, part time job with Fostering Together. Anyhow, they needed me to get a physical.

All the doc sent me home with was a leaflet on 'Eating Healthy'. Me thinks he's trying to tell me something?

This morning I'm coming in at 179, but my body fat percentage is down to 22% which is better than 23%. Haha

8. bullfrogblues

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    No better time than now. I'm 5'9" and started at 210, and I'm coming up on my 20th anniversary of cardiac bypass surgery. had that at age 44. But the last 5 years or so I really went off my usual, retired and ate and drank too much.
    You certainly will benefit from getting your BP and your weight down.
    look back on this thread, get a copy of Refuel by Dr. La Puma. It's made the difference in my life.

9. bullfrogblues

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Hit 170 this week!

10. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    189 this morning. Down from 205 two months ago. I'm fifty-two, 5'11". I'm finally getting in shape.

It was strange how slowly my body began to change for the better. I've been riding my bicycle on trails and soccer training about five times a week. My over fifty team begins in earnest next weekend and I'm just about in game shape, having played a few scrimmages with younger guys these past few weeks. I survived.

Anyway, the progression was slow and obvious. First my calves and shins burned and got stronger. Then it was my hamstring muscles. Then my quads began to burn and develop. Now I'm finally feeling strength in my ass. Long process that required diet change and lots of working out at "Military Speed", read: slow old man speed.

Regarding diet, I've kept my carbs to oats in the morning and little else. No pasta, no potatoes. I still eat lean meat, upped the fruits and vegetables and cut out sugary drinks, save Gatorade. I drink more beer and less Bourbon, about two beers per evening after working out.

My portions are a lot smaller now than they were months ago. That was a slow reduction too. I fill up faster than I used to. Perhaps my stomach is actually smaller.

My pants are loose and my belt is tightening. So far, so good. Just taking it slow and steady and keeping diet-cheating and exercise-skipping to a minimum. Treating myself to gifts of new soccer balls and jerseys each week of progress.

11. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    I let myself go a little for awhile. Put back on about 15 lbs.
    Last 3 weeks I've lost 8 and have 7 more to go to get back to my ideal weight.

Funny how much easier it goes on than comes off.
    Got a big Labor Day cookout coming up, so I'll have to hold the reigns tight

12. BadHorsie

BadHorsie Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Texas, USA
    I am back and starting all over again. Just got released by my doctor today so I can start to exercise again. I am at 309.

13. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

Okay boys and girls , I'm back on and a couple weeks ago was at 206. Today 202!!!!
    Goal is 190 by Thanksgiving

14. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    Back up to 180. I had stopped working out and caring about my diet, but recent events are forcing myself and my wife to change our lifestyle significantly (don't wanna go into too much detail for our privacy).

Gonna have to give up carbs once and for all it looks like

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I rebounded about half of what I lost over the Spring. Recently started a mini-weight-loss challenge with a few guys in my office, but the stakes aren't high enough, apparently; I'm just holding steady at 70kg. Was hoping to get back down to 63 by Christmas vacation, but it ain't happening at this rate....

16. bullfrogblues

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Just returned from 2 weeks touring all the canyons of southwest USA, and didn't watch carefully what I ate, but did take notice.
    Relieved that I remained at 170 and didn't gain any weight!

17. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2008
    45 south
    I can join the club, stopped eating red meat, sugar, refined foods and caffiene and dropped down from 73kgs to 59kgs in 2 months and feeling great. I'm walking 1 hour every day too.

18. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington

Good for you man!!

19. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2008
    45 south
    5'6"
    139lbs
    30" waist

Never felt better

Here's a sandwich I came up with:

1 slice pumperknickel between yr fav wholegrain bread with peanut butter, marmite and lettuce. Very filling and I don't get hungry for another 6 hours
    Including a 1 hour brisk walk.

20. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

A day late with my post but 201
    Finally seeing Progress !!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.