Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Anyone try Russian 6P3S (6L6GT) tubes ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 6x47, Jan 19, 2008.

1. 6x47

6x47 Tele-Holic

Anyone try Russian 6P3S (6L6GT) tubes ?

Ad is quoted below.

Quality Russian 6P3S ( 6П3С ) tubes. Reflector Plant
    Equivalents to the 6L6GT. T
    The tubes are never used.
    Military equipment.

2. JimiBryant

JimiBryant Tele-Afflicted

hmm, I'm always kinda suspicious of those Russian "equivalents"

caveat emptor!

let us know how it goes should you happen to go for 'em..

3. 6x47

6x47 Tele-Holic

I was kinda hoping someone else would be the 'test pilot'.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

I think the original 'white box' 5881 Sovtek WXTs are these by another name. They are pretty rugged and seem to suit some Blonde or Brown older non-reverb amps. My take is they are long-lived and ordinary sounding in a Fender BF/SF with reverb sort of amp. As in not terrible, but a little dull and lowish in volume.

If you had a horribly bright amp, they might work OK to balance it out. I know someone who's got them in a Guyatone Twin clone that has a very Twin circuit, and they sound OK.

6. 6x47

6x47 Tele-Holic

Apparently it's not a good idea to try these tubes which are currently listed on ebay from Russian and Ukrainen sellers.

On the Tone Lizard site the use of these tubes is discouraged.

I also found the following;

The 6L6 Family - Tube Reviews

These tubes are availble from a number of sources and these review were done by the folks at watford valves

RUSSIAN 6P3S
    Many U.K valve dealers sell this valve under all sorts of numbers such as 6L6GT, 6L6GB, 6L6GC and even one world wide dealer has Even branded it KT66.

This valve does not like even moderate voltages therefore cannot be recommend under any circumstances.

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/6v6.html

7. Tremo

Tremo Banned

That Russian tube is junk. It's a real limp-wristed 6L6 that Boob Toobz used to sell as a 6V6HD. Those things make great targets for plinking with a .22 rifle. That's about all they're good for. Do not put them in a guitar amp.

8. igorBG

igorBG Tele-Holic

OK let's revive this thread. I just found matched pair of these in my storage (they have cyrilic label "6п3с" and number "77" on them only). I have Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue which needs new power tubes so I was wondering if it's safe to give them a try.

9. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted

there's the 6P3S, and then there's the 6P3SE. The former tube is cheaper, and from what I've read truly cheap (ie bad). The 6P3SE is the military version I believe and looks somewhat different. It has an excellent reputation for quality, especially for the price. I used a quad of them in an audio amp - I bought them for $36 delivered from Russia. They replaced a quad of EL34's that cost $80+ and sounded better. I've not yet tried them in a guitar amp, but plan to.

Edit - if yours are the 6P3S (not E) - why not give them a try. All of what I know about them is what I read on the internet . . . and you know what that's worth . . .

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  10. smokeygills

smokeygills Tele-Meister

I use them in a modified princeton reverb in place of 6L6 tubes and they sound amazing, no issues. I will be using them in future amps for sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.