Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone try a GFS Titanium bridge (and saddles)?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ukepicker, Aug 12, 2017.

1. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I love GFS, including their pickups.

I have NOT had good experience with their bridges.

3-Chord-Genius and ukepicker like this.

3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Thanks, Ira. I wouldn't think any of their cheaper bridges would be an upgrade to what I have, but the titanium are their "upscale" XPG line. And they look cool to me. And seem like they are exactly what I'm after (except that they are titanium and GFS).

4. trippercaster

trippercaster Tele-Meister

Aug 13, 2012
    Roanoke, VA
    I've had to flatten nearly every piece of harware I've purchased from gfs and for the low price I don't really mind, but if I'm paying 70 bucks for a bridge that is unacceptable. I am anxious to hear what someone has to say, I just don't want to be the guinea pig

5. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

I'm with you @trippercaster.
    gfs stuff is crap, its only saving grace is that it is (relatively) cheap.
    It is not standard fit, it only fits their stuff, and it is basically cheap crap.
    You get what you pay for.

6. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Titanium is a light metal by weight and density, similar to Aluminum:

Aluminum......... 168 lb/cu.ft.
    Titanium........... 281 lb/cu.ft.
    Steel................ 482 lb/cu.ft.
    Stainless Steel... 496 lb/cu.ft.
    Brass, Yellow..... 524 lb/cu.ft.
    Brass, Red........ 537 lb/cu.ft.
    Bronze.............. 549 lb/cu.ft.

Typically, you'd want a heavier/denser metal like brass or steel for bridge saddles.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    ukepicker likes this.

7. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. I have used titanium saddles on tele style builds, and they sustain more, and the highs are actually smoothed out. You get the twang but without the piercing highs.

El Tele Lobo and ukepicker like this.

8. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I agree. In theory you add mass to soak up vibrations. So less dense materials should vibrate better.

I'm not a huge fan of starting a conversation with, "nope," however.

robinn likes this.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Titanium is light, however, it's harder than any of the other metals you listed.

ukepicker and awasson like this.

10. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    My guess (based on recent GFS purchases) is that it's going to be an upgrade as long as titanium makes for a good saddle material.

I've looked at that kit and I've bought GFS bridge kits in the past. I've got a big block GFS bridge kit on my Strat. I'm quite satisfied with it. If titanium is a good bridge/saddle material, it should be good.

ukepicker likes this.

11. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I haven't tried them, but I did use the Super Vee saddles on my Baja and was happy. Just a high polished compensated brass saddle set, I didn't use their trem arm bridge though. Quality was good.

I don't like titanium or steel saddles, but that is just me. I do wonder about sustain with titanium as the metal is super strong, but is also often built really paper thin as a result. The less mass might give a thinner sound than other metals.

ukepicker likes this.

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Not to derail the conversation here, but just thought I would chime in on the discussion regarding mass, density, etc. and vibrations. The resonant frequencies of materials regarding structural vibrations (what we talk about when talking about bridges and saddles and describing them as warmer, tinnier, having "zing" what have you) does not really depend on mass or density, but rather on how tightly coupled the molecules are in the material. Density tells you how many there are, but they can still be relatively loosely coupled and will therefore not transfer vibration as effectively. Titanium is very efficient at the energy transfer and thus loses less high frequency energy than, say, brass.

Alright, that was my little soap box regarding mass and density, I am still interested to see how these bridges perform, I just don't have any tele projects coming up.

pdcorlis and ukepicker like this.

13. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    Interesting. I've always liked the aluminum nuts danelectro uses, aluminum is also supposed to be very efficient as well. I always thought it'd be too soft for use as saddles though, perhaps titanium is a good option.

I will say though that I've been happy with the brass saddles I've been using lately.

ukepicker likes this.

14. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Yup...

awasson and ndeli55 like this.

15. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa

I've used quite a bit of GFS hardware and found it to be good quality, and never had a problem with fit. They are very good at indicating if it is for US or import, and usually provide exact and accurate measurements. They sell a lot of Wilkinson stuff which I've found to be good value.

ukepicker and awasson like this.

16. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

I'm glad you've had success with their parts. I've had a mixed bag.
    I agree, Wilkinson stuff is consistently pretty good quality. I have done very well with their tuning pegs.

ukepicker likes this.

17. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I have used aluminum for saddles a time or two. It works just fine, as the saddles see very little movement of the string across it, so it wears very slowly. For a nut, especially on a trem equipped guitar, you would see wear much quicker.

ukepicker likes this.

18. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Well, I think I'm gonna give it a try. It'll be a little while before I have the time to install it, but I'll get back to this thread with an update.

awasson likes this.

19. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I've never used gfs but I've replaced the brass saddles on a tele with Gotoh Titanium and love them. Pretty sure I posted a video about it. Fixed my sitar issue and they sound fantastic!

ukepicker likes this.

20. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    Lobo you just gave me a great idea

El Tele Lobo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.