Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone tried this ground loop fix?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Outstanding Bill, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Outstanding Bill

Outstanding Bill TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I've been thinking about using a 1-Spot plus daisy chain. I've read about ground loops though, and seen some demos of how noisy they can be.

So would this setup prevent ground loop?

1Spot connected to pedal 1 using a normal power supply cable and a normal patch cable for the signal.

Pedal 1 connected to pedal 2 using a normal patch cable and a modified daisy chain power cable. The modified power cable only connects the non-ground (-9V) terminals; it doesn't connect the ground-level terminals. My theory is that the power current can return to the 1Spot via the guitar signal patch cable connecting pedal 1 to pedal 2, then the power cable connecting pedal 1 to the 1Spot.

Before I buy a daisy chain and 1Spot and start hacking at them with a craft knife, has anyone tried this? Is there a problem with the theory?

2. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    erm..

I might not be following you correctly, please forgive me if I'm off base.

I've never had a noise issues with the one spot daisy chain, maybe my experience is and outlier.

I now use a 1spot power supply cs6, but I didn't notice any difference when I switched over between the two.

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    I have never had a noise issue with a 1 Spot either. And I've been using one for about 5 years with many different pedals.

OP, if you want the cleanest, most isolated, quietest pedal power possible: batteries.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

If you are chasing noises ...

1- nashua aluminum flashing tape all the cavities and pickguard, check continuity as you go with an ohm meter (wrinkle/fold as necessary)
    2- replace the black-white two wires from the volume pot to the jack with shielded cable. RCA patch cable from old VCRs is a good source. Some desktop tower pcs can donate shielded cable like the dvd drive to motherboard. Fender uses two wires on their $2k guitars while Gibson Epiphone Specials for $80 have shielded cables. Necessary to have Vintage noise? We have a lot more electronic devices now than in the 50s...
    4- covered pickups (Tele neck pickup or the chrome covered humbuckers). Yes, shielding matters here too.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    If all your pedals are negative ground, you probably won't have an issue. If all your pedals are 9V, you probably won't have an issue. The ground is the same for all pedals. Mixing the two is where you start having problems.
    I have all kinds of noise trouble using my Neo Ventilator in the chain because it's 12V positive-ground. I use it strictly with my HRD in the loop, and that isolates it from the others and keeps things quiet.

6. Outstanding Bill

Outstanding Bill TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Thanks all for your input.

I should clarify that I haven't yet bought the 1Spot, so I don't know if it's actually going to hum with my setup.

Re ebidis and batteries: I want something that won't die during a gig.

Maybe I'll also be lucky like fasteddie and ebidis. If not, and I end up snipping one of the daisy chain conductors, I'll try to post back to let folks know how I got on.

7. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2017
    Virginia
    I'm not sure I understand your comment - could you explain what you mean, please?

8. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    I prefer the Power-All to the 1 spot. If using more than 3 or maybe 4 pedals, I go with Voodoo Labs.

9. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens.

10. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    For just a few pedals, the ground loops are likely to be insignificant. In my experience, up to 4 or 5 pedals will work on s 1Spot, provided they’re all 9 volt negative ground and fairly low power. If you’re into power-hungry digital pedals, you get noises but it probably won’t be ground loops.

I ran on a common power supply for decades, but when by board grew to 6, 7, 8, 9 pedals, I had to bite the bullet and buy a Pedal Power 2+. For me, and for that board, it was worth the investment. On my little “surf” board with 5 pedals, a 1Spot works just fine.

Ground loops get to be a problem with longer cables, like when you jumper two amps together without an isolated splitter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.