Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone still using a Fulldrive?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ukepicker, May 4, 2017.

1. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2011
    Jersey City
    You learn something new every day. I knew about the fat boost but had no idea it was the overdrive channel of the fulldrive

2. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have a Fat Boost3 right before my old FD2 on my board. I rarely use the FD2s boost because I use the FB3. They stack beautifully and with low noise and better EQ options. And I'm not a big pedal stacker. The FB3 is my low gainer. FD2 the medium gainer. A BB Preamp my high gainer. And I have a fuzz. The FB3 stacks great with all 3, and INCREDIBLY with an Xotic SP Comp in front of it.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    All I know is that I heard Paul Cotton with Poco use one through a provided AC-30 that sounded glorious. I've almost bought several but never took the plunge.

4. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    kansas

5. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2015
    Canton, Ohio
    I've been using a FD-2 (non mosfet) for a while now, and I see (or hear) no reason to change.

Pajama likes this.

6. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

May 13, 2017
    Huntington Beach via Reno
    I picked up the Full-Drive 2 MOSFET a few weeks back at the same time with the OCD. I returned the OCD the next day, but I'm really happy with the FD2. It has that really smoothed-out mid-heavy sound at the right settings that I've been looking for for a long time. Still getting acquainted with it in the bigger picture, but I can't imagine getting tired of it anytime soon.

And hey, it's blue!

7. Highway Chile

Highway Chile TDPRI Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I love my FD3, but it's not my primary overdrive pedal. I just use the drive side 90s mode when I need a tube screamer type sound. Otherwise, I use it only for the boost, which is excellent.

8. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2011
    South Florida
    Oh hell yeah. My #1 . I have an original Silver FD-2 from 95' and I have a blue 2002 non Mosfet as my back up. Phenomenal pedal and a steal at current prices.

9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    FD 2 mosfet user here. A great pedal imo. I use it as a light overdrive and hit the boost to thicken up solos. A keeper.

10. SouthPaw

SouthPaw TDPRI Member

Nov 27, 2003
    As much as i have tried to find a replacement (ideally in a smaller enclosure) i just keep coming back to my 90's Non Mosfet full drive. It just works so well, and stacks so nicely with other pedals (really enjoying it stacked with a klone right now)

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Isn't it primarily a tube driver clone?

12. SouthPaw

SouthPaw TDPRI Member

Nov 27, 2003
    I was always of the impression that it was based around (ie modified from) a Boss SD-1 circuit. Happy to be corrected but I am sure I recall reading a thread here some years back on a mod to an SD-1 that would make it into (or close to) a fulldrive. I really should try to pick up an SD-1 at some point and try that mod out..

wannabeatle and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

13. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Glad to see there are a lot of folks who really like the FD2 (but clearly some who don't care for it either). I have the FD2 with mosfet.

I've had mine for a few years and I wish I liked it more. I suspect this pedal confused some folks who bought it including me. I think I was looking for a really distinctive overdriven sound, and depending on the amp and pedal settings, I suppose you can get that.

But as some have mentioned above, it just seems to push your gear harder with a similarly natural sound but more breakup. It really does seem more like a true boost. When you turn the gain up, and hit the drive switch, sure, it gets crunchy, but I guess it seems like you really have to push the pedal to get a really distinctive sound. So I suspect a lot of the guys who liked it above, are gigging guys and they use it to crank up their guitar when they need it for a gig. If you just some guy jamming with friends, or home recording or just noodling, maybe it isn't the pedal for you. It seems like a very purposeful pedal for the gigging musician and not a sculpting pedal? Does this seem accurate to you all?

And I have trouble enjoying the Mosfet or the other setting besides "classic". They both sound a little robotic or electronic to me, so I only use the classic. Which is nice but it also sounds a little too much like a classic distortion pedal. So not sure really if it's the pedal for me, but I still play with it and tweak it. I do think it is a little wonky by having two separate footswitches; kind of makes it a little confusing or just weird to operate. I think there is a mod out there that allows you to just use the drive switch without engaging the boost switch (or do I have that backwards? I'm not in front of the pedal).

Bottom line is that it seems to suit some folks needs very well and others are not as jazzed by it.

I understand that there is a Joyo OCD clone out there that is quite a nice sounding overdrive pedal.

14. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Same. I have lots of pedals but keep coming back to this one. Sounds awesome on every setting.

Southpole likes this.

15. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    I'm not sure I'm following you on this. The FD2mf has the toggle to chose between 3 drive levels. The flat mid setting is absolutely neutral, very sensible on the gain. The clean boost setting is phenomenal. You also have the mosfet on another toggle, to get more into modern, kind of Dumble OD.

This pedal is quite neutral in its drive, WAY less coloration that almost all of the TS clones.

I dunno, man

16. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I dunno either. Maybe I've been using it wrong.

homesick345 and Chiogtr4x like this.

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I finally got ( after years of both reading about, as well as hearing live...) a Fulldrive 2 (non Mosfet) earlier this year as someone had one cheap on CL.

My experience is that even with the toggle switch/Boost switch, it could not touch the range of control ( or really dynamics) I can get from a simple 3-knob Blues Driver

They both IMO, impart an OD/Distortion that leaves basic clean guitar>amp tone alone, a very good sound, but I just found the RANGE of the Blues Driver controls ( Gain/Tone/Level) to be far greater, and easier to use.
    So I leave the FULLDRIVE at a buddy's home studio so we can both use, but gig with the BD-2.

18. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Interesting. yeah, maybe it is more switches and knobs than I really want to deal with. I haven't given up on it, I just haven't found the "Aha" setting I like.

I'm not familiar with the blues driver, I will look it up and give it a listen. I'm not much of a pedals guy to begin with, not really into gadgets and complexity. If I could get away with one pair of pants in life, i'd do it. Now if I could only convince my boss to let me wear flip flops to work.

Chiogtr4x likes this.

19. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I'm another FD2MF user. I keep it permanently on but set below breakup just to enrich the signal, and then use the boost for solos. I have it powered at 18v and there is massive headroom.

I also have a Mesa Throttle Box on my board for heavy distortion.

I like the look of the FD3. I understand it has the JRC 4558D chip of .Tubescreamer fame. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but it is cheaper than the FD2 I think.

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    The Blues Driver is a love-hate pedal; some folks thing the Gain and Tone is too fizzy, or thin. I like it as an always ON pedal as it is dynamic and I go from cleanish to dirty-ish ( with decent sustain) from my guitar Volume knob.

I don't play hard rock, so I don't need too much Gain, but I do like the range...

The thing that disappointed me maybe the most about the.Fulldrive, was the expectation ( hoping) of having more Distortion/edge when engaging the Boost.I got excited with that dedicated function and all I got was more volume, and it seemed unfocused.

Truth is I can tailor the more ' rock grind' ( when I want that) stacking a Tube Screamer ( at low Drive) into the Blues Driver- was just hoping with the Fulldrive to get that out of one pedal...

The quality of the.FD2 OD still, is pretty good-refined, IMO

Telecasterless likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.