Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone still using a Fulldrive?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ukepicker, May 4, 2017.

1. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    I ordered one for low-risk price today. Fulldrive 2 mosfet.

I know, I'm about 5 years late to the party.

Does anybody even use these anymore??

2. John O

John O TDPRI Member

May 22, 2016
    Delaware
    I use the FD-3, includes mosfet tones, separate OD and boost functions, can put either 1st in chain, or use individually, also some custom EQ options. very cool.

DavidP likes this.

3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I use one just like the one you ordered. I recently sold my OCD and kept the Fulldrive 2 with mosfet, because I thought it was more versatile, and it has a great vintage voice (unlike the OCD, in my opinion).

wmsimpson likes this.

4. bob mason

bob mason TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    US
    Still using mine

5. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Yeah, still rocking my fulldrive2 mosfet. It may not be the most exciting pedal ever, and long past its flavor of the month period, but it's so versatile. It really enhances my amp's natural tone and plays nice with all my other pedals. It's kind of the glue of my pedalboard.

wmsimpson likes this.

6. DavidP

DavidP Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Longtime user here of various reincarnations; currently have a FD3 -- most versatile of the bunch!.

7. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    I've talked myself off the ledge several times over the FD3. Compression. Separate boost. Classic tones. What's not to love? But I never could find one at a price low enough that I was confident I could flip it if I hated it.

I mean, i tried the GT-500 and it was a fizzy, soulless mess in my rig. But I got my money back when I flipped it ;)

And every fulltone product I've seen or held or tried has been full of quality. (What, exactly, is quality? RIP Mr. Pirsig)

Anyway, I'm very happy with my gain tones. So I don't need this fulldrive.

But it seems like I heard somewhere that 2017 was the year for buying a bunch of new gain pedals.

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    My FD3 is now back on the board. It's strictly OD to boost a breaking up amp though. I like the extra compression option on the and the boost/OD order switch on the FD3.

It's basic tone into a very clean amp is pretty poor though - electronic, very dark and hard edged. Its forte is as a two stage overdrive into a tube amp where it shines. If you plan to use it to get gain tones, I'd look elsewhere. OCD blows it away for that.

I'd dismissed my FD3 for quite a while but listening to it being used by our other guitarist into a cranked plexi was pretty convincing of its value and I've snatched it back.

9. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    Still using mine. I would say its decent as a clean boost. It plays well with a pushed fender tube amp. Im looking for something with a a little more grit though.might try a keeley modded blues driver.

10. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Depends. My blue push pull comp cut FD2 has been my #1 drive with BF/SF Fender amps since 1999. Ain't going anywhere. But with other more mid heavy amps, I like the Timmy.

11. Long time user myself and been on my board for years... wouldn't do without it for a BF/SF amp... other amps I have other pedals that work better. Tried the FD3 but to me the FD2 fit my needs better.

I think you'll love it if you are using a classic Fender amp

12. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Stoke-On-Trent
    Got mine yesterday. Works great with my ac10 but not sure if i like it into the fender deluxe reverb 68 and thinking i should have just got a ts808 for that

13. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Right, this is the key to the fulldrive: knowing what it is. It's meant to drive a tube amp over the edge. It's at its best when the amp is providing at least half the breakup. It's not a very good distortion pedal on its own, which is how a lot of people try to use it and then complain. There's a reason why fulltone makes the fulldrive and the OCD.

14. ssmtb

ssmtb Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2016
    Boise
    I was going to start a separate thread to ask this question, but I'll try here first:

Anyone sell their Fulldrive and replace it with a Boss SD1?
    I seem to be using my FD2 MOSFET mostly in vintage, modes, volume at 3 o'clock, gain at 8 or 9 o'clock to boost my OD3. Helps smooth out the bassiness of the od3. My understanding is that the FD2 is basically the same as a SD1 at those settings.

15. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World

I have the FD2 2nd generation...non MOSFET, non-Flat Mids. If/when I do use it, I use it as a clean boost with maybe just a little OD kicked in when needed.

Like this (but mines not for sale):

https://reverb.com/nz/item/85850-fulltone-full-drive-2-1997

Last edited: May 10, 2017

16. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2011
    Jersey City
    Nothing beats my 90s fd2 through a fender, wish it was only the drive side since the boost isn't my thing. Mike should release a cut n half version, though I think they corrected the boost a bit in the newer models

17. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Mine is on the truck for delivery today. Hopefully I'll gave time to try it out tonight.

18. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Well - Got my new FD2M wired up and fired up last night. Yep. It's a tubescreamer alright. And a nice sounding one, too. Well built. Well designed. Great tones. I was kinda surprised at how versatile it wasn't. With all those knobs and switches, it never really leaves the tubescreamer template.

Not sure it's my thing, though.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

19. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Its an excellent execution of a TS pedal, but ended up not being my thing either. It really didn't give me anything my amp couldn't do alone, which is a great statement about the pedal itself. Consider a Green Rhino as another option, and if that doesn't work for you, you probably don't want a TS style pedal...

20. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    He did release a "cut in half" version. Its called the FAT BOOST.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.