Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone Sporting a Big A$$ Phone? (5.5)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stephent2, Oct 2, 2017.

1. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    6sPlus here. When I hit around 45 years old, my old-man vision kicked in, rendering the old iPhone 5 screen adorable in a useless kind of way. I boosted the font and character size on this sucka...and I can SEE!

Piggy Stu, drf64 and Tommy Biggs like this.

2. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    All it takes is one innocuous photoshop on a geek gear website and suddenly you're a fat bastard in a parallel universe. Hope he never finds out.

3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Did Apple ever develop a phone that actually makes phone calls?

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    Wisconsin, USA
    Yes. They're so good at it they've become the only phone we buy for our management, logistics and delivery people.

5. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Thanks everyone, you'all been a big help. I'll have to adapt, the larger phone has features I can use. The extra real estate wouldn't hurt as many posted,.. old eyes and I use my phone for a lot of my daily life. The dual camera would be great, it'd get a lot of use.

Tommy Biggs likes this.

6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    Could you please diarise to repost in a month to confirm everyone here gave you sound advice? I spent ages in 2014 figuring out what everyone told you here

Make sure you get WAZE!

stephent2 likes this.

7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I still have my iPhone 4s. I think I might make the leap to the iPhone X, seeing as how I'm 5-6 years between upgrades. Also need to upgrade my 2011 laptop at the same time.

One thing I like, living here in the UK now, is buying an unlocked phone and going with a cheap plan. So even if the phone seems expensive, the plan makes it seem dirt cheap and it pays for itself in a couple of years.

For instance, back in 2011 I paid Apple $900 to buy the unlocked version of the iPhone 4s. A whacking amount of money. BUT, it meant I could move to the UK and use it with a pay as you go plan that gives me 500 minutes, unlimited texts, and 3GB per month for $12.50 American.

Tommy Biggs likes this.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    Wisconsin, USA
    The case makes a difference too. Expensive yes, but I like the thin leather cases. They come off easy if you want and handle well. I get an inexpensive one with better coverage for sports.

With way to many of these to count at work, I don't buy that you get much if anything with those big fat cases. I still see the wrong drop break glass.

You'll wait, but the X model will give you more screen in smaller package.

9. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I'm a fat bastard too - so I can relate :D

10. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I know that some people disdain smartphones and say they're not necessary, but only 25 years ago these hand-held devices would have been the stuff of science fiction. In one device we have a telephone, atlas and street directory, music player, camera and media player, e-book reader, games platform, calendar, diary etc. We have in the palm of our hands, access to all the world's music, all the world's literature, all the cinema. Pretty amazing really!

Tommy Biggs, stephent2 and Boubou like this.

11. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    All these new phones are great, I'd own any of them honestly.

12. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    I went from a 5S to a 6SE because I didn't want a larger phone. The SE is a little faster & has more features I don't use. Fits in a shirt pocket.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I carried just a phone and text unit for more than five years, and a flip phone for years before that. I finally acquiesced to the world at large and bought a cheap phone that would do the internet, and carried it until last week. One day my wife said, we need some new phones. She suggested I get one, and get familiar with it then she'd get one. I looked at phones bigger than 5.5 but settled on a Samsung 5.5. It seemed huge after the one I'd been carrying. It's small enough that I can drop it in the front pocket of my cargoes, and after putting a ribbed covering on it, the phone seems just about right. I won't lie, the new phone is a whole lot more fun to use, the controls are logical, intuitive, and it works a whole lot better than my old one, and I can see what I'm wanting to look at on the screen. The keyboard is much larger and more usable, but the talk to text and search feature works so well, I only use it if I need to keep quite when composing a message.

Cheap phones are just like cheap guitars, when you've got one, it's the best, but when you move up, you probably won't want to go back. I might want a bigger one next time, I'm not going to make any statements about what I MIGHT want down the line. For now it's all good, but I'll never say never again.

I now know why TGT was pondering a thousand dollar phone. I ain't quite ready for that yet, but one day, who knows?

14. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    5.7 LG V20 here. To note that it sports a hi end B&O sound card, with an HQ stereo recorder,condenser mics. I love it

15. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    I read the title wrong so I went and checked in the mirror:oops:
    Does this phone make my azz look fat?:p

16. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    There is another option, a smaller 4" phone and this new-fangled invention called "cheaters", or reading glasses. About $7 for a 3-pack at Wally World. That way you won't need a 15" phone in a few years ;)

NashvilleDeluxe likes this.

17. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    I have readers in every room in the house, and two in the car. It's just nice to watch a video or read text without relying on the glasses. I'm in denial about my old man eyes.

Piggy Stu likes this.

18. stephent2

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    I've got a good offer from AT&T on a new 7+ buying it outright, not part of a plan,.. I may just buck up and call today.

FYI: AT&T has a retention department and I've used them a couple times, I pull the <long time customer> out and see what they do. Sprint had like $300 off and I mentioned that, nicely. Like all big companies they get a bad rap but I gotta say my time w/ AT&T has been mostly trouble free and when i have an issue they've been responsive, usually resulting in a better deal for me.

19. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Is a Galaxy S7 Edge considered big? I like it. I wrap it in a very minimal case that just offers a bit of corner protection, and carry it in the shirt pocket of my button-down collared shirts. Along with my glasses.

I like big computer monitors with huge resolution, for displaying a LOT of text at a time. I guess the phone is no different.

Piggy Stu likes this.

20. stephent2

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Black 7+, $100 off, w/ free Apple black leather case. By the end of the week they say.

Thanks again for the help TDPRI.

w3stie likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.