Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone Sporting a Big A$$ Phone? (5.5)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stephent2, Oct 2, 2017.

1. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement

2. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    To me the camera is the big deal for an upgrade. I do OK with my lowly 5se, and like so many things in life, it ain't about the specs, it's the real life use.

From my 5se,.. these have been compressed and messed with from the Facebook upload, original images have more detail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

xafinity likes this.

3. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

5. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    I dont think people call 5.5inch large now: 5.7 is becoming the norm. 6 and beyond is large

I got a Note 4 in 2014 thru work when it was considered gargantuan and still got it. Commonplace now. It was the only thing at the time I could type on as my fingers are covered in callouses from fingerpicking

My gf has a Moto E. Dirt cheap, plastic back, swappable battery. I don't know who really needs a 1k iphone

I don't know anyone who replaced 5.7 inches with anything smaller. The extra inch won't destroy any pocket I have

6. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Aintcha skeered to poke yer eye?

7. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I have friends that have the plus version and it is bigger, but not too big in my opinion. I prefer the size of the non-plus models as I have ipads with data connections so if I need a bigger screen I have that covered.

8. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Does my phone make my a$$ look big?

drf64 likes this.

9. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    That's what cargo shorts / cargo pants are for!!!

10. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    I guess I'm in the minority, but the SE is as big of a phone as I'll ever want, and for now I'm sticking with it. My fiancee has a 7 Plus, and it's too big for me to use with one hand, and I have big hands.

The draw of a better camera my lead me to get an X next year, but I'm not itching to make the leap.

11. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2010
    Moscow
    I like when the phone is good in the sound department.

BuckSatan likes this.

12. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I went from a Galaxy S5 to an Iphone 7plus. The size increase wasn't horrible for me, the S5 isn't a small phone either. They fit in my front pants pocket with no issues.
    Love the Camera on the plus, it's worth it for me, even if just for portrait mode.
    I was grillin and chillin the other day...

[​IMG]

xafinity and stephent2 like this.

13. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2013
    Avon, IN
    5.5" screen on my S7 Edge. Doesn't seem big to me. I have a case that adds a little size to it, but it still fits fine in any pocket. My wife has a giant case on here that makes it feel too big.

I have an iPhone 5S that I use as a dashcam now. It seems tiny to me now.

14. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    6 Plus. I do much of my work on my phone, buying and selling, the larger screen makes it easier. An few years ago I was using a Japanese flip phone, which was pretty trick, but had the old alphanumeric keypad. I was quite fast on it in English, but writing in Japanese was a pain. I could do a little work on it but the small screen was hard to get along with.

15. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I upgraded to the 7 Plus after 5 years ( I think ) with the 4s. I resisted because like you I thought the plus was just too big, but now I wouldn't be without it. The 4s looks like a toy in comparison. I use the 7 Plus all the time - too much in fact - it's just so much easier to read. For example, I really only used the 4s for calls, email and games ( and camera ). I would use it for web browsing if nothing else was available, but the small screen made viewing difficult. Now I browse on the 7 Plus as much or more than on the desktop computer. The camera is a big feature too. When the 4s came out the camera was a leap forward for phone cameras including features like panorama etc. I think the dual lens and real zoom of the 7 Plus is a similar leap forward for the iPhone.

It is slightly too big to comfortably fit in my jeans pocket compared with the 4s, but 1st world problems hey :) I have re-purposed the 4s and it's still working, but the battery life on the 7 Plus is way better than this old 4s.

16. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I had a 6+ for just shy of three years until it died a couple months ago - I tend to ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet. Replaced it with a 7+, which isn't that different, although it's a bit quicker at everything and the camera is a real improvement with it's dual lenses. In terms of size, I was worried about it when I got the 6+ since I was coming from a 4S or something. But once I'd had the 6+ for a couple of weeks, anything smaller just started to seem uncivilized... I have no trouble keeping it in a pocket. My wife has a 6 (smaller version) and it just seems puny to me - I'd hate to go back to anything smaller...

Tommy Biggs likes this.

17. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Go to a retailer and check the sizes and how they suit you. I did that and got a 6 instead of it's big brother. The six fitted my hand and pockets, the plus was just too big for me. For you it might be fine. I use an iPad for anything that needs a bigger screen.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    That was hard to get last year but thankfully there's a plentiful supply this year as it's one of my favorites and a lot of American breweries have gotten on the marzen/Oktoberfest bandwagon thankfully. Try 'em all I say!

Tommy Biggs likes this.

19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I have a 6 Plus that I bought a couple of years ago when my Samsung Galaxy stopped working after 1 year. I am happy with the iPhone and can't see ever going back to anything else. The Plus has a bigger battery. I carry it in a Otter Box Defender case on the belt clip.

20. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

There are probably a few places here that are evidence of eating my words on larger phones - like when 6s Plus came out?

The screen size, battery life and iPhone dual cameras are worth it in all circumstances. It all gets better as far as how useful it is for my work.

My wife values them as much but as conventional computer replacement.

Go for it.

:)

P.S. I ate words on smart watch too. Apple Watch has been really awesome for my work and sports interests.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.