Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone see the new Blade Runner flick yet?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by joebloggs13, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I thought it was excellent. After being a fan of the original since it first showed in theaters, I expected not to like it. I was pleasantly surprised.

The very thing one person didn't like about it, was part of what made it work for me. If it had been shorter, it probably wouldn't have worked. It was very subtle, and required the viewer to pay attention and think. This will doom it with most audiences. In fact, the people next to us (who curiously, were complaining about everything because it offended their sensibilities based on loyalty to orange haired entities) left after an hour. Anyway, I am a big fan of Kurosawa, Aronofsky and Tarkovsky, so slow pacing is something I enjoy.

This is a movie for fans of the original, sci-fi fans and fans of foreign and art films. If you're a thinker, you'll be connecting dots, and asking questions. The movie contains the question at the heart of the original, and of Philip K. Dick in general. Namely, what is real? But not in a superficial, pseudo-intellectual way, but in a deeper more meaningful sense.

It's heartening to see a movie like this can still be done, and shown in theaters, in an age of cheap, pandering, lowest common denominator entertainment.

texastengu likes this.

2. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    I thought the new movie was a bit of a disappointment, really. It's spectacular, no doubt, and Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford are great. But it just doesn't have the same beautiful unsettling strangeness and ambiguity of the 1982 movie. It doesn't haunt. Maybe it's just because the first movie had the shock of the new going for it, but still. The first movie gave me strange dreams for a week. This one, not so much.

Also: MAJOR woman problems. None of the female characters have any depth to speak of; they're all tropes of one kind or another (there's a tough-as-nails police lieutenant who hits on our hero, a sexy assassin, a prostitute with a heart of gold, a princess in a tower, and a gagsome holographic manic pixie dreamgirl) and exist purely for the male characters to react to. And forget about passing the Bechtel test. Not that the first movie did much better, but hell, that was 35 years ago.

JayFreddy likes this.

3. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    Sequels rarely sustain the energy of their origins, but I thought it was great for a 2017 movie - after suffering through almost 1/2 hour of previews of the other crap upcoming to the big screen I really felt like my money was well spent at Bladerunner 2049.

Frank'n'censed likes this.

4. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Good additional comments. The one female character who was more than a trope, in my opinion, was the so-called princess in a tower..... I thought her acting was very deep and revealed a complex character. I also thought all of the other female actors imbued their characters with more depth even if to some extent they were stuck in tropes overall. The idea of not knowing whether one's memories can be believed or not is haunting for me, and very relevant. Research on things like reliability of eye witnesses have shown us how much our brains fill in the gaps in our memory to ensure continuity. We fill in details that we never actually saw, especially if there's any external suggestion. There are definitely memories I have where I'm not sure they really happened or maybe I just dreamed them. My sister is always recounting childhood memories that my mother and I are 100% certain never happened, but she is equally certain that they did. I thought the pixie dreamgirl was ridiculously beautiful, not gagsome at all. Gal Gadot is still #1 on my list these days, but wow, hummina hummina. I was going in wanting to like it so perhaps I was more willing to be OK with certain flaws. I also really like the comment about how the pace was actually just right... a nice, deliberate unfolding.

5. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    The newspapers are saying it's only popular with OLDER male audiences...hit home for anyone?

JayFreddy and basher like this.

6. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    My wife loved it. She's the one who suggested we see it. But that doesn't tell us much, other than that certainly other women would have an interest.
    I did notice when walking in to take our seats, that about 1/3 of the audience was female.

The OLDER portion of that seems likely to be true.

7. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

I like sci-fi, my wife does not. Neither of us have seen the original. Last night my wife suggested we go see it. Totally through me for a loop, she has NEVER expressed any interest in seeing any sci-fi.

8. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    I meant gagsome in terms of her function in the narrative, not her appearance. She was a devoted little fanboy-servicing geisha doormat whose only real purpose (SPOILER AHEAD) was to die so we could empathize with Ryan Gosling about it. I'll grant that the sex scene was one of the more remarkable things I've seen in a movie, though.

9. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Lansing, Michigan
    I'm looking forward to seeing it as the original Bladerunner is one of my all-time favorite movies. I was trying not to get too excited for fear of the 'sucking sequel'. :eek:

Thanks for the reviews, y'all have put my fears to rest.

:cool:

10. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2016
    Austone, Tejas
    Saw it last Saturday at the Alamo Drafthouse in Corpus Christi after a day of driving a trailer full of furniture and placing it into the kids' repaired home in Aransas Pass.
    The almost three hour movie reenergized me. Good story, characters and cinematography! There were moments I was inside the plot line with K.
    Quite an emotional roller coaster ride. Philip was one of my favorite authors and I am sure he would have approved of this sequel.
    I saw a miracle delivered.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

11. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm in the opposite position. My wife is crazy for sci-fi, while I only like a few, select authors (PKD, Herbert and Asimov, and maybe a couple of others).

Question is; how did she like it?

mnutz likes this.

12. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

We didn't go, still haven't seen it.

13. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    I saw a double feature of the original and the new one last week. I've seen the original many times before though. I agree with comments that the new one is visually stunning. I liked the parts of the soundtrack that were more subtle and reminiscent of the original, but hated the loud, in your face parts of the soundtrack that just sounded like every other action movie

Overall I thought the film took too long to build up. It was an OK movie, but nowhere near as good as the original. It just couldn't get mood right or something. I did like Ford and Gossling, but did not like the main female replicant.

14. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I'll be interested to hear your report after you have.

mnutz likes this.

15. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Despite having a tough time following the plot, my wife really liked it.

16. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    It was long. It was pretty. It was slow. It was really effin' loud. Bring ear plugs and go to the bathroom first. Don't drink anything. It was an above average Sci-Fi flick in a world of crap.

If I had $185 million to throw at something, I hope I would do something more meaningful for society, but it's worth the price of admission. If you like Sci-Fi, it's worth seeing in a theater.

I liked it.

mnutz likes this.

17. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I liked it but it was long and slow. If it was a bit shorter and moved a bit more I would have really liked it

18. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    The sloooooow never bothers me if the movie’s engaging...it was nice to see CGI serve the film & not the opposite. I prefered Ford’s reprisal, to that of Indiana Jones & Star Wars...bring it on ;):lol:
    Do I hear Amourican Graffiti or does Bob get toad?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

19. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2016
    Chicago, Illinois
    Saw it today. Liked it a lot.

Frank'n'censed likes this.

20. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Yes. It’s great but almost 3 hours long.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.