Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

aNYONE PUT WHEELS ON THEIR COMBO AMP?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PeterVV, Oct 17, 2011.

1. PeterVV

PeterVV Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2011
    South Wales, UK
    I have a fairly heavy ( being a weakling) Peavey Deuce early 1980`s 2x 12 combo, that has one handle on the top which is next to useless due to the size and weight, and was thinking of putting some wheeels on it, but have a few questions about this;
    1. Would it affect the tone/cause rattles?
    2. I have seen some wheels that slot in and can be taken out, but dont know if they are DIY-able
    3.Anyone in the UK recommend where to get wheels for an amp?
    4. the other alternative would be t get some sort of small trolley?

2. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I put casters in my Fender Super 210, which weighs about 60 lb. Got them at the local hardware store (OSH) and they look similar to these:

[​IMG]

Fairly easy job.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Na, unless you are in studio. They come standard on super reverbs.
    You could always do the pricey thing, and get a roadcase, with wheels
    if you were that concerned... Its only rock/roll....after you turn it to
    11, no one will notice...lol..

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2010
    Halifax
    I have casters similar to those on my 4x10 Fender Concert amp (71 pounds). They work BUT, I'm considering making a small trolley-type thing and put the casters on that instead of the amp. I'm thinking of that the base of the trolley would be slightly larger than the width/depth of the amp and I would make a 3" wooden ledge around it...then I could just slip the amp into the trolley and the built in ledge would hold it while I push the amp around. Then when I get it on stage I can remove the trolley. It wouldn't take up much extra space in transit either, and would be fairly cheap.

JMHO. YMMV.

6. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Put two more handles on the amp just like a Vox AC30 and get your buddy to give you a helping hand. ;)

7. DirtyMacSpecial

DirtyMacSpecial Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2011
    Omaha, NE (U.S)
    Yes until my twin took a roll down a hill into a creek at a local outdoor show...(true story)

8. Dflo

Dflo Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2010
    Kansas City
    I've got the wheels on my twin that pull out of the sockets if need be. I never do though. They havent been a problem while playing & are a big help at load in or out!

9. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    I had castors on my old Bassman RI and while they were handy for moving the amp around I never used them if I was going over a hard surface like a pavement as I was always a bit scared of the bumps and rattles causing damage to the tubes. Maybe unlikely but I've always been nervous about moving amps ever since the top handle came off a Marshall combo as I carried it up a flight of stairs!

Unless the amp is Blues Jr sized or smaller I always pick them up with both hands and carry them against my chest - like a baby!! (which my 57 Twin is to me!!).

10. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Nov 21, 2010
    Rocky Hill, CT
    :(

I'd use castors like tap4154 shows, two pivoting, two fixed, and make a dolly out of four planks and carpet remnants.
    Then, the dolly will have more uses than just the amp.

11. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    Texas
    Oh man, that's gotta hurt.

12. DonC1966

DonC1966 TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2003
    How about a small folding hand cart?
    Wesco makes one that weighs 11 lbs. and can cary up to 250 lbs.
    Add a couple of bungy cords and you're good to go.

13. cband7

cband7 Friend of Leo's

Oct 27, 2007
    Thule, Greenland
    Screen grab from Harbor Freight site. Lots of prebuilt options, likely the same over there at Home Depot type stores. Good light handtrucks are a lot more than dollies but are really handy to move all kinds of equipment.

Attached Files:

14. DirtyMacSpecial

DirtyMacSpecial Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2011
    Omaha, NE (U.S)
    Yeaaaa to say the least, didnt have a back-up amp at the time and after inspection the amp imploded from the impact of flying into a rocky stream lol

15. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted

Oct 7, 2008
    Maryland
    I have casters mounted on a few of my combos - they are the kind that has the socket screwed to the bottom of the cab, and you can insert the casters or remove them. I removed all of them when I noticed one of my amps was pretty tipsy.

I think this dolley or one similar to it is a better option for moving an amp around.

16. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California

I mainly just scoot it around the house. I'm not a gigging player, and when I go to play at someone's home I usually just take my 25R :D

It can be carried either by the handle or with two hands up against my chest, so if I was taking it to a club I'd probably carry it over rough spots, then wheel it the rest.

17. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Canada
    If you put on regular casters that can't pull out make sure two of them have locks for those slightly sloped stages

18. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2003
    Oakland, Ca.
    I put removeable casters on my Blues DeVille- works great. I remove the back two at gigs for a tilt back.

19. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    ...and if you don't have those with locks, put jam jar lids or somesuch underneath two casters. 't works ;)

[​IMG]

20. Raybob

Raybob Tele-Meister

I put casters on combos for customers sometimes. I use "Peavey" pop-out casters that plug in sockets that you can easily pull out from the bottom when you don't want them on. They should be available at CE Distribution or Antique Electronics (tubesandmore.com).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.