Anyone Play a PRS amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by justin.ramsey, May 28, 2014.

1. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

I've been looking an researching amps to upgrade my classic 30 and came across the prs amps (not the se line the hand wired USA ones). seems like a lot of amp for the money especially used.

Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks have been using the and they sound pretty good. Any experience in here?

2. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I have a PRS 2 channel H 50 watt combo that I really like. Got it on a trade a few weeks ago. I haven't gigged with it yet, but will in a week or two. Really nice tones, but it is a heavy SOB.

3. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

Used they are a bargain it seems ive seen some gut shots of the H looks to be well made. Im really interested in the C with the added solo boost.

4. bullfrogblues

I also have a friend with a custom Dallas and that thing is a monster!!
    I've heard the C also, it really does sound fantastic!
    Mine doesn't have the fancy flamed maple front, but it sounds just as good!
    [​IMG]

Treynor likes this.
  5. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

I'm really surprised there isn't more users of these amps on here.

6. bullfrogblues

I don't there is a lot of love for PRS in general around here...

7. billybarool

billybarool Tele-Meister

They seem super nice. I'd love to try one out.

8. billybarool

billybarool Tele-Meister

Didn't they make a model that's an exact replica of Duane's Marshall?

9. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

I think it was Eric Johnson's Marshall, either the Dallas or super Dallas

10. billybarool

billybarool Tele-Meister

Here it is

11. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I can't say I care for PRS guitars, but I covet that amp mightily!

12. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Tele-Meister

I'd love to try a PRS amp out. The quality and feel of all PRS guitars I've seen and played have been Outstanding. I would imagine the quality of their amps to be the same. I'm yet to see one in a shop in the uk yet though............

13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think there is an active dislike for the amps, and all the reviews I've read are pretty favorable. I think what might be reducing the number of folks who have them is that they are pretty pricey. If enough of them get sold, then over time there will be more used ones out there. But there is a lot of stiff competition once you get into that price range, that's for sure.

14. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have a PRS 513 that is a really fine guitar. Well made in every way, sounds great, stable.

15. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I posted a poll at year end 2013 about what amps people bought last year. Fender, Peavy, Vox, and Marshall combined for 80% of the selection. The 20% was distributed across forty other brands, many of which had only one or two buyers. PRS indicated one buyer.

At the PRS price range there are fewer buyers and actually a lot of choices.

16. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

I really don't care for PRS amps. For their money, they are very plain jane amps that come in a fancy box. They really don't do anything special. If they were cost effective competition, I'd be all over it, but they really just aren't worth the cost to me (tone wise).

For the money, I'd be more into a Suhr or Matchless Avalon.

But like all things guitar, this is incredibly subjective opinion...

17. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

I don't find them all that pricey. Considering the 2 channel c is only 1600 for the head which is on par more with Mesa than matchless and suhr.

18. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Matchless avalon combo with reverb is ~2500. The head version of that HXDA is 2999$.

Granted the lower end models are cheaper(duh lol), but I don't find them to be appealing at all, especially not for their cost. A mesa will net you so many more features at that price range. Id rather pay 700$ for a hot rod deluxe personally.

Basically the PRS amp confuses me. It does everything "well", but it really never struck me as a "oh god those cleans!" or "wow that over drive is amazing!". Very "blah" to me personally. I guess to each their own!

19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think the bottom line with PRS amps is this is a classic example of brand extension marketing. When you have a brand that has a following, you see how much merchandise you can sell by putting the brand name on it. T-shirts, mugs, whatever.

This is more than a T-shirt, obviously, and PRS did go to some trouble to come up with an amp line they can be proud of. On the other hand, imagine the reverse. Imagine if Mesa Boogie or Marshall came out with a line of guitars? Or look what happened with Taylor when they tried to extend their brand into electric guitars. The market response is often, "meh". The people most likely to buy are the hard core brand fans. Perhaps in their business plan they calculated they would turn a profit even if they only got a certain fraction of hard core PRS brand fans to actually buy, and almost no one else.

I put no stock in various pros using them, because almost for certain they are getting them for free and most likely are actually getting paid to endorse them.

20. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

I have an H model shipping from Michigan to Bakersfield. It should arrive tomorrow. It’s in showroom condition and was priced $300 less than all the others for sale. Review will be posted next week.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.