Anyone Planning On Getting A Page Mirror Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by EsquireOK, May 9, 2019.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I was just curious if any of you are GASsing for the Page mirror Tele, like I am.

It's basically just a '59/'60 American reissue with a Page signature decal and neck plate.

That fact that it's so close to an AVRI is what interests me. All the "Page bits" are hidden from view, or optional (mirrors come in the case, not installed). It just looks like a classic blonde Tele, but from a period that has not traditionally been reissued: slab board, D neck, top and rear loading. The 7.25" board with old-style frets is a selling point for me too, now that the American reissue line no longer features these. Kind of cool, if you ask me. Interestingly, though, it does not look as if they reproduced the thicker .080" single-ply white guards of this period...and it looks as though they might have gone with plain white dots instead of the tan ones that they now use to simulate aged white fiberboard ("clay"). It's always funny to see which details they embrace, and which they ignore, on reissues.

It's an unlimited edition as of now, so it's possibly not going to be all that rare 30 years into the future...but will probably always be a bit more desirable than your average American Tele reissue. This plus the unique features might make it worth an extra 500 bones over an AO, long term. I dunno. Hard call.

I have to love the $1,400 Dragon one too...though I wouldn't buy it myself. Gigging a replica of an extremely famous guitar is just not something I would do, since it's so clearly associated with that one person.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    mrfett and t guitar floyd like this.
  2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Really nice guitar.

I am attracted to a white blond repro of a '59 with rosewood board (so I built my own unfaithful, but still jolly nice version of it)

At double the price of an AVRI '64....? (in the UK). They are having a laugh.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Love Jimmy Page but not the least bit interested in any of his signature models...

`

marcflores likes this.
  4. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I like the mirror tele on it’s specs and looks ( without the mirrors — maybe one ). But I think there asking about a grand too much for it.

Even then I’d try to wait for it to be used for just under $1k. At the current pricing that will never happen.

rich815 likes this.
  5. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan TDPRI Member

I like the feel of the neck on my AV64 a lot better than the Page.

6. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

No.

7. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

No reflection on Jimmy, but, no.

Lost_N_Austin and Mike Eskimo like this.
  8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Double the price in the UK - wow; I didn't know you were getting dinged that much with exchange rates, taxes, etc. They are still overpriced here, but they are only $500 more than an AV '64 was (or the AO '60s model is now - but it has binding so the Page is $700 more than the AO '50s that does not have binding) so it's not quite so egregious a difference.

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

OK not quite double... but it feels like it. We always get dinged with all the add ons for USA kit over here plus the 20% sales tax (VAT). That's why I buy used and build my own, nothing justifies full price new guitars!

Prince1999 likes this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Only if I could play it like this.

Woollymonster and brookdalebill like this.
  11. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No-because it has poly under the nitro(confirmed by Wildwood) and too expensive. If it was PV pricing and no poly, I'd have one in my lap right now. Pretty big letdown imo.

12. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I was hoping to get chance to play one this week, but ran out of time to call into the shop. I'm not particularly a fan of JP, or rather I should say I don't really know much of his music, so it was purely based on the spec: 7.25" radius, small frets and white blonde (that isn't relic'd). Not sure whether I'd get on with the Rosewood fingerboard having tried some other Teles recently with RW in an effort to get out of my comfort zone of all maple fingerboards on my Fenders.

It's an expensive guitar over here though. For not much more I could have a NOS Custom shop model (or Lush Closet or whatever they call them). I'd like to try the JP model (and a CS), just to see if I can differentiate between it and my 50s Classic Lacquer White Blonde model. It is nicely worn in, but pretty much unmarked and sounds perfect with it's upgraded pick ups. I don't know if I'm a good/discerning enough player to justify a JP/CS model though...

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I am!
    Planning, that is.
    I played one at Guitar Rez, and loved it!
    If and when I get one, I’m leaving the mirrors in the case.
    It’s a really nice guitar!

MilwMark and joe_cpwe like this.
  14. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Nope I have my Tele.....$525 delivered, albeit pre-owned (aka used). But then, every player plays a used guitar don't they ?

Nashville Tele.jpg

mrfett likes this.
  15. EsquireOK

Yep, unfortunately it, like the AOs, is back to the old pre-AV style nitro finish. Poly sealer, and regular amount of thinner in the mixture. That's more of a veneer board lacquer era finish process (if you consider the poly sealer to be akin to Fullerplast, which it only kinda is).

I'm still on the fence. I do like the slab board, and I am very curious about the pickups and the D neck, which seem to only be available in a Page guitar. I take a hard look at any new Fender guitar with a 7.25" radius and old style frets. I don't like the signature bits and the poly undercoat. It's 25 percent more than an AO, but would probably hold value better (not that I buy and resell usually, but perhaps 30 years down the road when I am too arthritic and bitter to play any more, it will matter).

The closest equivalent that is actually some form of "real" Fender, and that solves all my "problems" with the Page guitar, would be an AV '64 with a neck swap to a licensed neck with a slab board, and a top loader bridge. Selling the original neck would probably pay for the replacement one. Of course, doing this would probably leave me with a guitar worth maybe $600 to $800 on the market, as opposed to probably around $2K.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  16. Andoris

If you don’t care whether the neck is rosewood or maple, I’d suggest getting a 58 reissue. These have an amazing D shape neck. You can cheaply replace the bridge to a top loader and replace the pickups whenever.

17. EsquireOK

^ The pickups are, in fact, one of the main selling points of the Page sigs IMO. You can't get them anywhere else except in the Page guitars. The slab rosewood board on a Tele is a selling point for me as well, since I have several maple boarded Teles (including the AV '58 you mentioned, but in sunburst).

The Page mirror Tele is basically a return to AVRI (i.e. 1998–2012 American reissue) specs, but with exclusive pickups. As you mentioned, the top load bridge is nothing one can't easily convert to on any typical old-school Tele.

I am not trying to talk myself into it here, FWIW. I am looking at pros and cons, and I see some of both.

I could get the Page and a blonde AV '64, and swap bodies. :D Then the poly sealer will be on the one that would have come with Fullerplast, and the lacquer sealer will be on the one that would not have. Silly exercise for something so pointless as a sealer coat. But good excuse to get two blonde Teles! :D

18. Andoris

2 blondes are more fun ;)

19. EsquireOK

Well, FWIW, I found one in mint used condition (probably just a demo), from a reputable dealer from whom have bought before. It was same price as a new AO. The great thing about it is that the finish is almost opaque, which I highly prefer to a heavier translucent blonde. I'm going to give it a spin and see what I think.

mrfett likes this.
  20. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

No reflection on anyone if you don’t stick the mirrors on it!

TokyoPortrait and wblynch like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.