Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone not a Klon (klone) fan?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I've been loving my Mystery Brain and it's become an "always on" sort of deal, but I'll just have to shut it off when using my Klone. Perhaps it's time to build a passive looper...

4pickupguy likes this.

2. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Nobody seems to talk about the Zvex box of rock these days - but it is my fav for overdrive / light distortion. I can get it to sound like a blackface amp turned up pretty loud - but at bedroom volume.

4pickupguy likes this.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I no longer use it, but I do think it's a better mousetrap. Maybe it is a modded 250. I love the 250 but the Klon is a little more useable to me - tighter bass.

I guess I use it like Bill intended. Mostly clean boost into a slightly overdriven BF/SF Fender. Makes the amp sound and respond like its on 6 even if the amp is only at a 3-4 volume level.

Moved arpway from it mostly for convenience - I use a Soulmate and while the KTR is a bit better on its own than the inbuilt ODs in the Soulmate, the overall convenience and sound of the multi trumps.

I don't get the strong feelings it engenders though. Just like anything else, don't use it if it doesn't work for you. Bill doesn't charge collector prices. Even through distributors it's under $300. Given what they go for on the secondary market, I assume he could charge more than that, but chooses not to. Maybe he isn't so contemptuous of his customers after all?

4. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    I've built my own Klon(e) using the Refractor PCB from Aion Electronics. I used the "Silver Pony" specs, and obtained some Russian D9E diodes for clipping. To me, it sounds **really** good, both as a booster and for overdrive/distortion. However, I keep it as the first pedal in my chain (save for perhaps a Boss tuner and optionally my MXR Dynacomp compressor). I works quite well with the hot wide range humbuckers on my Telecaster Deluxe. And, frankly, it provides all the overdrive I'll ever need for the classic/country rock songs my band plays.

5. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I had a Klone at one point, I did like it a lot, but it didn't stick around. I've been considering the silver pony pedal from BYOC, in side by side comparisons it's dang near identical to the centaur.

4pickupguy likes this.

6. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    The charge pump for 18v operation was a pretty cool innovation for it's time although fairly common now. TTBOMK, BF got there first as far as incorperating it into a guitar pedal. I also think the mystery clipping diodes have contributed to upping the original Klon's mojo factor. One can never be quite sure if any of the copies are 100% accurate. I get a little bit smoother sound out of the Silver Pony with 1N270's in place of the stock DE9's. Vintage correct? Who knows... I spent a little time with it last night. Still sounds pretty decent and is great for warming up the bridge p/up but there are a lot of other good choices these days.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

7. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2009
    Illinois
    I think a Klon would be really cool if they would remove the dual gain pot and make the clean blend and gain two separate knobs.

Danjabellza likes this.

8. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Interesting perspective...as the amp I have is a Vox and brighter than the standard Fender fare...

I started tweaking a pork loin I had around to see how close it would come and its a hair thicker but a vary similar sound...I think I like it just a bit more...

This forum is great for getting perspective...great place...

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas

I tried My Silver Pony again last night along side my BD-2. One of the problems I have with klones in general is that they are too smooth. The BD-2 is saggier and lots more dynamic than my SP. They REALLY hate each other. They both sound terrible behind each other. must have something to do with the buffers. They both become nasally after each other. The SP is centered better EQ wise as the BD-2 has to have it tone control dialed WAY back to not be a trebly beast. I have not found a pedal yet that makes a better boost than the BD-2.
    I gonna hang on to my SP for a while because I know how these things go, someday I may change my amp rig and a SP may be perfect again....

10. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    I dig em. Different with every amp, though. With mid heavy tweeds, Browns, etc, I find I only use them as a cleanish boost, but with BF Fenders and Vox, strangely enough, I love them with the gain cranked up around 2 o'clock. That part is a recent discovery.

I do find a properly set Colorsound Overdriver can do everything the Klone can, and lots more too. Very versatile, the COD circuit.

11. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I have been using the Klon since 1994 or 95 when Bill brought them into the store to sell.

I never use it when I'm at home. When I'm playing with a band is when it shines. If you're a bedroom player I can't imagine they're all that useful.

mgreene likes this.

12. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Maybe I use more treble or gain than you. My SP had a raspy quality that the diode swap seemed to help with. I'm also a fan of the BD-2. Try a higher value cap for C100 if you want the tone control to do more. Stock is .033uf. Keeley uses a .1uf for the Phat mod.

4pickupguy likes this.

13. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    This may be the bottom line answer to this thread.

Like a Dumble - if youre using it at stage volume, its great, at home maybe its kind of ho-hum.

bluesholyman likes this.

14. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Unless you're playing through a Fender style amp & want that mid bump and some dirt for low volume playing. I have my Soul Food dedicated to my Vibro Champ at the house for low volume. At the studio-workshop I have a Ceriatone Centura that is a permanent part of my rig. I love that pedal! It's on most of the time and I really love it for the mid bump, slight grit and compression while remaining fairly clean (especially with Fender style single coils). I stack a Zen Drive and a TS808hw on it for three stages smooth of gain. Honestly I would never consider paying $2,000 for a real one. I have ZERO interest in searching any further. I built 2 clones myself that sounded really good but the Ceriatone is the game ender for me. For $195 shipped it's the Klone of Klones....

15. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    No, my Dumble sounds great at home.

The Klon on its own at low volumes is kind of harsh, cutting through a band mix it's unbeatable.

16. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

I have never tried one so i can't comment on how good they are. The one thing that does always slightly confuse me though is why the original designer didn't license this product for mass manufacture. This is after all one of the most talked about effects pedals of all time.

From my limited understanding of the situation i gather that the designer disliked the hype surrounding the original and was not happy about the way this impacted the prices of used examples of his pedals. He seems to be a man of integrity so therefore should be applauded for that, but one thing that bemuses me is the fact that he could have gone to a major manufacturer and licensed the design and diffused a lot of the situation regarding the way his product was received and subsequently sold on the second hand market. He could have had control of how the product went to mass market and also some control over the retail price.

Presumably he had his reasons for not doing this but i have always wondered why he didn't take the product further but instead left the plethora of copycat builders to clean up using his design. Does anyone here know something that i don't regarding this?

17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    .1uf you say...Hmmmmmm

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.