Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone not a Klon (klone) fan?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Sep 23, 2017.

1. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    My head hurts. How's the pecker pink 335?

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    WTAFMTJMUAYKI.
    Hmmph.

3. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    I picked up the same kit on the strength of your recommendation, but I've gotten side-tracked on so many other projects and barbecues that I haven't finished putting it together yet.

I'm doing the low volume thing these days myself. Time to dust off the soldering iron.

4. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    ICT
    am I a fan? its a cool pedal I guess and it can really sound special when it is just perfect for your rig. it is dated and overdone and there's been a lot of awesome designs come along since it came out though

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Oh yeah, do. Don't let it come between you and a good BBQ, of course, but in your spare time, soldering iron + klone kit =
    [​IMG]

Danjabellza and Mr Green Genes like this.

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    When I first got into playing again after many years away I kept reading and hearing about the mythical Klon made of unicorn seeds.
    I ended up with what generally considered by many to be a pretty faithful Klone (Silver Pony). I get why people like them. My personal thoughts are: They are great in that lower drive range where they add just a bit of hair to a signal.
    Mine is pretty sensitive to where it is in the signal chain. It really doesnt like a buffered signal into it. I dont have it on my board anymore. I have a simple stock Boss BD-2 in that role now. It sounds more natural for that "just breaking up" sound. Just feels better and suits my music better and is a much friendlier boost to other pedals than the klone was.

7. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
    Never played through a real or clone but the new Zoom update for the MS-50g has a Klon model that is my favorite. Very transparent and beats my Version 1 Cool Cat pedal

8. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    A lot of my favorite players have used the Klon. Some have even used it as an OD. For that reason, I have trouble completely dismissing it. Same could be said for the Zen Drive and a couple of others. Even so, I've mostly moved on to other pedals, the latest a Colorsound OD clone. My Silver Pony still gets some play now and then but I don't view it as essential.

9. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Kalispell, MT.
    Do I hear a little Robert Fripp?

10. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    Tried... not for me.

11. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

I have a Jimmy Behan Klon copy which I really like . It makes a refreshing change from tubescreamers

12. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    First time I have heard someone refer to it as dated and overdone. I mean, I don't know that i could pick out a Klon in a recording unless I saw it when they are playing...

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I just noticed that myself about 30 minutes ago. I threw together a volume box today to go in between stages of the effects loop on my Hot Rod to make it more reasonable at low volume. I was playing with dirt boxes to see how everything sounded and the Klone seemed shrill all of a sudden. I had forgotten to shut my Mystery Brain off, and the Klone wasn't liking it.

4pickupguy likes this.

14. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I've got a Mythical, and it's a great clone when compared with real Klons (my buddy has one), but to be honest my MXR Micro Amp and Zvex Super Hard On win out every time over it when I need a little "more". Speaking of that, the Union Tube and Transistor "More" pedal wins out over the MXR and Zvex just about every time as well.

The Mythical is just a wee bit too soft for my tastes.

15. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Clarkdale, AZ
    I was one of the original "gold horsie" Klon owners in the mid '90's and gigged extensively with it for 3-4 years. It's a good low gain overdrive/booster pedal, nothing more, nothing less. Lots of better pedals out there, lots of worse ones. Comes down to personal taste, i.e., what your own ears are telling you within the context of the rest of your rig.

Fan? Not a fan? No big deal. The sun will still come up tomorrow.

I think a lot of the early appeal was due to it not having a lot of competition back in the mid '90's, a sturdy build in a heavy box that wasn't going to move around on stage, a really cool looking pedal with cool graphics, and of course the absolutely daffy and impossible to navigate web site of Bill Finnegan (Klon-Siberia.com? Really??).

theprofessor likes this.

16. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    ICT
    its a seriously old design. deep down it is a heavily modded dod 250(think late 1970s) and even this collection of mods is now about 25 years old ... and rather than, you know, come up with something new it has replaced the tube screamer as the boutique pedal company cloning staple. we're not better off as consumers because of this ... especially for a pedal that was supposed to "vox up" your blackface/silverface fender amps. while there are a lot of those amps out there, it is a crapshoot if this works out for your not fender amp

17. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    Not. Never tried one. Never even heard of one. I play guitar not pedals. I hardly ever use any. Occasionally use a rack processor system.

18. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Nah, he'd make it sound lie a broken Boss heavy metal, but he'd make that sound really freaking cool.

Modman68 likes this.

19. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    The Klon was supposed to "Vox up" your Fender amps? I'da never guessed.

20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yep, mine became shrill in one spot and really 'bad midrangy' in another. The ONLY pedal I could put in front of it was a J Rockett Blue Note. It is very sensitive to input. My BD-2 is a bit touchy this way as well but makes a much better boost to others. Someday I'll revisit the Silver Pony.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.