Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone not a Klon (klone) fan?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Sep 23, 2017.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    I recently picked up a Klon klone (Aluminum Falcon v1) as I like to try stuff out and with every purchase, I ask myself if I am getting a sound that 1) I don't already have and 2) can't be done by something else I already have.

So I get the Klon thing and see why people like them, but as I was comparing it to other pedals I have, I realized that my Vox v810 could be dialed in very closely to the mild overdrive provided by the Falcon. The v810 loses some low end, but that can be tweaked easily enough - something I have been planning to do anyway

So I am wondering if I really need a Klon-type pedal for $200 if something else is reasonably close enough...I am probably the only person that can hear the difference, but sometimes thats enough...

Wanted to see what people thought of the Klon thing in general vs other OD's...

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I am not an expert on effects, and I'm certainly not an expert on comparing the Klon to anything. But the other day I tried a Klon KTR at my local music store, and I did not like it at all. It was built like a cheap piece of junk, and I just didn't think it sounded good. I only liked what I heard when I used it largely as a boost, but there are loads of pedals out there that are less expensive and well built that can do a good boost thing. Just my opinion. I have never played through an original Klon.

3. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    From what I have heard/read, the KTR is not really as great as the Klon. It seems there are better clones than the KTR and there will be those who believe otherwise.

Rospo likes this.

4. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister

Dec 7, 2009
    washington
    Although I've never tried an original, I think I've tried every variant including the KTR, RYRA, & Tummnus, etc. I couldn't bond with any of them. Maybe I'm missing something or don't have discriminating, discerning ears. However, I saw Wilco a few months ago & when Nels Cline stepped on his Klon for a solo (with his '59 Jazzmaster) ,it's was an awesome, punchy, round tone that sounded REALLY good..

Staypuft1652 likes this.

5. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I've owned the Arc Klone, Archer, Archer Ikon, Klon KTR, and at least one other that I can't recall.

I'm done. Don't need 'em.

6. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Yeah, they don't wow me or fit my rig so they always get sold pretty quickly.

Gimme a tubescreamer over a klon anyday.

7. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I'm using a tone city bad horse. It kicked a Jekyll and Hyde of my board. It instantly did this spongy off clean drive sound with my Tele. If I need more grit I push it with a tc electric spark mini.

The decision to keep it was this: the Jekylland Hyde was way too big and the bad horse and spark were more flexible, as my friend and I decided, the bad horse and spark could do the Jekyll thing, but the Jekyll couldn't do the spark thing.

So I like it fine, but wouldn't turn a TS away

8. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Klons always felt to me like that arthouse movie that all the critics love, but nobody has the b@lls to speak up and say that it's "pretentious crap" because they don't want to look like they're bucking the trend of the so called "experts"...

The Emperor has no clothes...

That's just me, though. If you love em, enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

9. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Mar 27, 2011
    La mesa
    Nels Cline could make a broken boss heavy metal pedal sound like a trio of angels violins....

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I am a Klon fan. I put together a Klone from a kit and it prompted me to sell my Tubescreamer; those are pretty much useless as drives unless your amp is also running hot already. Much better-sounding breakup at the low volumes I'm forced to play these days, IMHO. YMMV, OMGWTFBBQ, etc.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I have an EHX Soul Food that I like and I'm done searching for a boost; does that make me a Klon fan or nah?

cntry666 likes this.

12. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca
    Tried a Soul Food. I couldn't get a good sound out of it (not consistently, anyway). Traded it for an OCD clone. Got many more useful sounds out of it even though I could have gotten most of them with the Rat that I already had.

So once again, just get a Rat and be done with it.

songtalk and Budda45ftw like this.

13. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    The other thing that always amuses me is, like with Dumbles or any other rare artifact, people who have never played one, and only heard them on YouTube, are the biggest critics of the clones, and can always tell how deficient they are compared to the original.

14. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    OMGWTFBBQ is the most amazing acronym ever.

Also, my only experience with a Klon is via my Helix...so it's digital, but definitely my favorite OD in the unit currently.

15. Budda45ftw

Budda45ftw Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2017
    Rochester NY
    I keep two boosts on my my board, no drives but I do have 3 fuzzes at least...

16. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I like how they sound in the right context...

That doesn't mean they're for everyone. Also, most pedals on the market are overpriced, IMO unless you DIY or get the cheap Chinese stuff that's plentiful now.

Mr. Lumbergh and MitchJ89 like this.

17. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I’ve never tried an actual Klon but the EHX Soul Food is great.

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.

18. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA

19. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    That's not a real Klon, how dare you!

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    So, then, I'm a "no"? Or wait, the question is "who's NOT a fan?", so I'm a "yes", right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.