Anyone learn a Danny Gatton song?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by 51telecaster, Jul 31, 2016.

1. 51telecaster

51telecaster TDPRI Member

i learn blues, rock, and country by ear, I'm trying to learn a Danny Gatton song but it's just damn near impossible. Anyone learn Gatton's stuff? I need some advice

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I learned one before I even knew who DG was. Sky King.

a friend had the song on a mix tape with no info except it was a DG song..., so he figured out the lead melody and his missus figured out the bassline... they showed me the rhythm chords and we used to jam on it...

I had to download all of DG's lp's and listen through them until i heard the familiar intro to Sky King.... yeah, I found it...

rang up my friends to tell them the name of the song....

4pickupguy likes this.
  3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

What song.... from which CD are you trying to figure out.

He really doesn't deviate much from the styles.... in other words, he plays each style very authentically. Where he is likely to throw you is that he combines many styles into not only the same song, but into the same passage. A 4 bar lick can start blues, end gypsy jazz and have country & rockabilly tossed into the mix as well.

Danny also plays a lot of diminished runs.... extremely easy once you recognize them, but impossible when you don't know what they are! Those are real ear teasers.

4. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

yeah.... no

Not for lack of trying!

Crowcaster likes this.
  5. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

I've played a bunch of them.... In my head! ;)

6. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

7. MightyAnganok

MightyAnganok TDPRI Member

I played his cover of Harlem Nocturne for an audition. It was a lot of work to learn, but well worth it!

historicus146 likes this.
  8. fordfanjpn

fordfanjpn Tele-Holic

His instruction video is available on YouTube in sections. If you watch him play and demonstrate stuff, it may help you to figure out what he's doing. Just keep in mind that certain things he did can't be done by us mortals. ;-)

9. chet1952

chet1952 TDPRI Member

Witch song would you like to learn?
    Or witch licks or tricks ? I can put you on the wright track but need to know what you would like to learn...

Jean-françois Cyr

10. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, I guess I could say I kinda learned some of his tunes like Funhouse, Crusin' Deuces, but hardly note for note. I was more immersed in picking up the harmonies and chords, a challenge in it's self.

11. chet1952

chet1952 TDPRI Member

I guess to a good start I would suggest you some of his influences to watch, Cliff Gallup, Les Paul, West Mongomery, Chet Atkins, Jimmy Bryant etc and listen to old big band hits. One of his force was to harmonize in double stop in a be-bop style including strings bending with his
    Pick and index Finger at the same time. There's a lot to cover but I beleive that to understand what he was doing you need to listen from
    His influence first.

12. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of Danny's best-known songs were covers and standards - Harlem Nocturne, Funky Mama, Cherokee, Sleepwalk, Quiet Village, anything the Explosion did, etc etc. It's best to learn the melodies to those songs and the standard chords underneath, and then try to figure out Danny's spin on it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.