Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Anyone Know Anything About Carvin Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Radspin, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I see that Carvin has their Vintage Series and British Series 12-inch on sale on their Web site for $29.99. Anyone know anything about these speakers, and/or tried them? I wonder if Eminence is the OEM.

2. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

I believe that is true.

3. Billm

Billm Friend of Leo's

I've bought some Carvin speakers in the past and they were built by Eminence.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Both of those speakers have gotten pretty terrible reviews. Most people who buy Carvin amps that come with those speakers are replacing them... That's probably why they are on clearance. I'd wait. If you just want a cheap speaker, it might be the ticket, but the price might come down even further in a month or two.

6. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Hi JayFreddy,

Thanks for the advice. I guess if it seems too good to be true it is; you get what you pay for etc. I'll take a pass on them.

7. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

FWIW- I bought the Carvin Vintage16 amp. I had't heard the stock amp, but had them upgrade the speaker with a Celestion V30 because of comments and reviews.

Check out this guys comments on his swap after he bought the amp.

8. JimiBryant

JimiBryant Tele-Afflicted

gotta pipe up here that I like those Carvin Vintage speakers just fine!
    then again, I liked the Celestion Silver Series as well..

9. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

The British speakers came stock in an SX-200 that I used to play. I liked the speakers. They had a warm clean tone and a really nice edge when they broke up.

10. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I had the "British" speakers in a closed-back cab, and they sounded pretty good to me, too...

Cheers, Tim

11. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I have a Carvin 1x12 cab - don't know what speaker is in it. I've played a lot of amps through that cab over the years, and it has always sounded good.

12. chuckamok63

chuckamok63 Tele-Meister

Have a 2x12 with the vintage speakers...very eminence sounding. For an open back cab, I like 'em.

13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure we're talking about the same speakers. Carvin recently (within the past 3-5 years) started using their old labels "British" and "Vintage Series" on a new line of speakers made in China.

The older ones get good reviews, and were probably made by Eminence. The newer ones, with the not-so-good reviews, are the ones on clearance.

At around the same time Carvin was relabeling their British and Vintage Series, they had a clearance on their G12-80, also made in China, at $19.99 each. I got a bunch at that price and have been pleased with them for rock and blues tones, but not so much for jazz or country. The G12-80's sound a lot like the Celestion Silver Series to me too.

I like Carvin stuff, but I suspect a lot of people will buy these Chinese speakers based on the reviews of the older Eminence ones, and be dissappointed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.