Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone ID this wood?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Milspec, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have 2 Alder Teles (MIM & MIA) that weigh 8.4 lbs. I'd call that "normal". I'd expect Northern Ash to weigh more than that.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

You were looking at an ash bat, I would say. Not hickory.

Not Canary Wood, either.

The reason it is 99% not gonna be oak is, the guitar is too light. If oak could be found light enough to make 8.5 pound guitars, there would be huge numbers of them.

I'm more sure now, but not 100%, that this is ash. Pine "bands" are quite uniform (all or nothing) - the bands on ash and oak are more fuzzy, like this.

3. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    It is not pine or alder. Those woods are not open pore woods as this wood in their Tele is. I say it is some straight grained northern ash. Walnut it is not...wrong color and the pores are too 'open'. . Oak??? Could be? Limba?? It doesn't look like it from here.
    Whatever the wood; with that density, I would expect quick pick attack response and strong sustain.

5. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Meister

24 other replies and not one of these yet. You guys are slipping.
    [​IMG]

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

My experiences have been, most alder bodies are all clustered in the Middlin' to Middlin' Heavy range.

Ash can be anything from very light to Plutonium Heavy. For the most part, guitar assemblers know not to use an 11 pound body, since it yields a 14 pound guitar.

This "swamp ash" and "Northern ash" is strictly "timberman's talk". Either can be Carolina Ash, Green Ash, even Pumpkin Ash. "Northern" tells you the stick is dense and heavy and "Swamp" says it is less dense and lighter - could be from the same tree.

Further, I have ash bodies that look very Northern (look like they'd be heavy) but they're not, and other bodies that look really "swampy" and yet aren't super light at all.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017

7. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I don't see the difference between Northern and Swamp Ash...I feel it.
    Regarding alder, like pine, maple, poplar and bass wood--since we're talking about solidbody guitars....are all close-pored woods. Ash, like oak, is an open-pored wood. There can be no mistaking that the guitar that is in question is built with an open-pored wood. The picture in post #4 is confirmation of open pores.

boris bubbanov likes this.

8. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    How much would it cost to have it dna tested?.

9. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah,
    Upon viewing the pics again & again, I'm beginning to agree with some sort of ash. I think the color is throwing some opinions off, a bit.
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

Wally likes this.

10. blille

blille Tele-Holic

I'll chip in.

drmmrr55 likes this.

11. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I sent the pictures to a former co-worker of mine who builds custom cabinets these days. He said Oak right of the bat and then said Pine.

Now he called me and said maybe ash....in other words, we stumped a wood craftsman as well.

12. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Again...that cannot be pine. Pine is closed pore wood.

maxvintage likes this.

13. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY

14. MaXell

MaXell Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2012
    Maryland

15. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA

16. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I'm pretty sure its ash

17. floodstage

floodstage TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Could be ask oak hickory, I'd guess ash just because more guitars are made from it.

When I worked at a lumber yard and would watch wood come off the planer, it was amazing how different species sometimes looked the same.

The only thing I'll say for sure is:

It's gorgeous!

Milspec likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.