Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone ID this wood?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Milspec, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    My first telecaster was one that I picked up in a small shop on the East Coast. It just had a unique quality to it so I grabbed it. I tore it down and found that it has no markings anywhere on the body nor the neck, just a parts caster of an unknown builder. I replaced the electronics on it and it remains a favorite, but I still am not certain what wood the body is?

I originally thought it was a Sugar Pine when I bought it due to what appeared to be sap line under the finish in one spot, but it is too heavy for that at 8.2 lbs. The pattern just throws me as it doesn't really look like Ash to me nor the alder of my later project.

Anyone have a good idea what it might be?

telefrnt.jpg telebackclose (1).jpg teleside.jpg

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd like to see the images, much closer in. Otherwise, we're just making rough stabs at it.

More likely ash than anything else, but for a definite answer, we need to be closer.

3. Hags

Hags TDPRI Member

May 7, 2016
    Northwest CT
    Looks like rift oak (or ash as bb said) from the straight grain on top and sides... Pics of butt end would help

4. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska

5. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It looks like 100-year-old pine.

See another thread on this site where we're laughing our asses off about a Fender Custom Shop model claiming to use 100-year-old pine.

And yours looks better.

10thoufirst likes this.

7. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    8.4 lbs....a little heavy

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    8.4 can be anything.

9. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    I thought it was limba on first glance, but now I'm not sure... the back makes me think it's myrtlewood, but I doubt it.

10. blille

blille Tele-Holic

I'm going with northern ash.

Wally and zook like this.

11. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I have to say, if nothing else I don't feel so stupid now for not being able to identify it for the last few years. I thought pine, then convinced myself it was ash, then considered oak, and even considered Canary wood for awhile.

I am just stumped. The guitar builder had his band and his first name on the headstock, but that bit of research was a dead-end years ago. the mystery just bugs me.

12. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    I'd go with Northern Ash. It's different and heavier than the Swamp Ash usually used.

blille likes this.

13. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I am drifting back to White Ash or a Caribbean Pine....frustrating.

14. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    While rare and unusal, I've seen some walnut with grain that straight. On the other other hand, I'll simply quote my wife on "good" mornings, with the phrase: "NICE WOOD!"
    Just Sayin,
    Gene

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    BrandonIke, the_lyall and Milspec like this.

15. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Walnut is possible as well after looking at some pictures online. I sure wish it had some markings on that body, but it was a true blank...same with the neck which really didn't fit the pocket all to well being slightly narrower. It took a little work by my luthier to correct it so it certainly wasn't factory produced.

16. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    I'm no wood expert, but it looks like the same wood as a baseball bat, so my guess is it's Hickory. Beautiful Tele by the way.....great score!

17. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    I have no idea what the wood is but just wanted to add that it's flippin lovely.

the_lyall likes this.

18. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 15, 2017
    Bedford, UK
    Ah yes, I work somewhere with easy access to hundreds of pallets, maybe there's an old pine one in there somewhere.

And agreed, this definitely looks better.

19. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I say northern ash. I like it, has character.

20. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa
    I'd also go along with northern ash.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.